Thread: Filed Insurance Claim but found phone..

Phone
    samsung e715
    Carrier
    tmobile
    Feedback Score

Filed Insurance Claim but found phone..

Hello,

I lost my phone last week so i put a claim on it through insurance.
    Got the new phone.. yet found my old phone at a friends house recently... should i return the new one (although it is used) back?

Thanks

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You're out of luck. Once claimed on insurance, the phone is unable to be activated, ever. Have fun breaking it or something, at least get some enjoyment out of it.

Phone
    samsung e715
    Carrier
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    icic.. doh.. thats no good.. =(

Phones
    LG Voyager
    LG VX8600 (finally Retired/backup phone)
    XV6700 / HTC Apache (brick...)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    take it apart, take pictures, and make it a science project. Then post it on the forums.

Phones
    Palm Treo 650
    Motorola e816
    v710 with Telus firmware
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Tape it to a firework.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebologyChicago
    I'm a former sprint customer, I learned how to be aggressive!

Phone
    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Melt it! That'd be fun.

Phones
    In Use: DEVOUR
    Temporarily back-seated: Droid
    &: Omni II, Tour, Storm, Pearl, E816, Maxx, Voyager, Dare, Flipshot, EnV, Alias, Q9m, Boulder + More
    Carrier
    Present: Verizon Wireless; Past: T-Mobile, Nextel, Sprint, Amp'd
    Feedback Score
    Legally, the insurance company owns it and you should send it to them... They'll probably even pay for shipping.

But otherwise, sell it for parts or keep it as an emergency 911 phone.
    Visit daveyp.net

Member of the:
    VZW CC

Favorite phones of all-time: -1) Droid Incredible, 0) Droid 1/X 1) BB Curve 8330, 2) Motorola E815, 3) LG enV vx9900, 4) Moto/Nextel i95cl

HoFo Feedback (6) 100%
    eBay Feedback 100%

Phones
    In Use: DEVOUR
    Temporarily back-seated: Droid
    &: Omni II, Tour, Storm, Pearl, E816, Maxx, Voyager, Dare, Flipshot, EnV, Alias, Q9m, Boulder + More
    Carrier
    Present: Verizon Wireless; Past: T-Mobile, Nextel, Sprint, Amp'd
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zazzified
    Melt it! That'd be fun.
    You reminded me of Phoebe's crazy half-brother (played by Giovanni's Ribisi) on Friends. He melted a plastic spoon, her phone and a fire extinguisher hose.

Phones
    LG Voyager
    Samsung Juke
    Samsung I760
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Actually, no since it's a recovered phone call assurion/verizon and let them know, they will make ammends.

(personally call asurion first)

in their t&c's it makes this statement

Any recovery of lost or stolen property will accrue entirely to our benefit.
    I have no idea what that means.
    Be nice to your customer service representatives, if we have to concentrate on fighting with you, we can't concentrate on fighting for you...

Phones
    LGVX8550 Chocolate 2
    LGVX8500 Chocolate
    Motorola V3MS RAZR
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Budman17r
    Actually, no since it's a recovered phone call assurion/verizon and let them know, they will make ammends.

(personally call asurion first)

in their t&c's it makes this statement

I have no idea what that means.
    Lmao.

About a previous statement....if you claim your phone is lost or stolen and you really did lose or get it stolen how do you expect to ship it back to them? Lol

If you report it lost or stolen the ESN of the old phone gets put on a stolen ESN list which prevents it from being activated again. I have actually had unactive FRU ESNs be stolen list. I'm not sure if tech support can take it off but they told me there was no way they could.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kakarotthemonky
    Lmao.

About a previous statement....if you claim your phone is lost or stolen and you really did lose or get it stolen how do you expect to ship it back to them? Lol

If you report it lost or stolen the ESN of the old phone gets put on a stolen ESN list which prevents it from being activated again. I have actually had unactive FRU ESNs be stolen list. I'm not sure if tech support can take it off but they told me there was no way they could.
    The official expectation (realistic or not) from the insurance company, which is likely at least in their fine print, is that for any replaced phone if the stolen/lost phone is recovered/found it is their property and should be turned over to them--doesn't really seem weird.

Phones
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G (replaced), LG CU575, LG VX 8700, LG VX8600(replaced)
    iPhone 4S 32GB(Current)
    iPhone 3G 8GB(Sold), iPhone 4 16GB(Stop Working)
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kakarotthemonky
    Lmao.

I dont know about FRU ESNs but the Tech Support can remove reported stolen ESNs from the negative file list by the owner of the phone..
    FamilyTalk Nation 1400 w/ 4 Lines
    Family Messaging Unlimited
    iPhone Data Unlimited
    Uverse TV U450
    Bright House Internet 20/2

I'm an AT&T employee, my posts do not reflect the opinions or decisions of AT&T Companies!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

My Broadband Service From Bright House

My Cellular Service from at&t

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade DM
    The official expectation (realistic or not) from the insurance company, which is likely at least in their fine print, is that for any replaced phone if the stolen/lost phone is recovered/found it is their property and should be turned over to them--doesn't really seem weird.
    What makes the expectation much more unrealistic is that there really isn't a mechanism in place in their system to take the phone back... If you broke your phone, they send you an envelope with a case # on it to get it properly sent back and dealt with... If you lost the phone, they don't send you this envelope, and have no procedure for dealing with it or sending it to the right place if you send them the phone later. You'll never get it back, but likely because it ended up in the mailroom trash can, not because Asurion actually checked it back in.

By the way, former coworkers of mine had scammed insurance before by putting a phone on their acct, claiming insurance, then putting the old phone back... The phones still can be activated... The problem I always pointed out to them (and was ignored on) was that the ESN is flagged by the insurance company so that it can't have another claim made on it. I'm pretty sure what put a stop to it was someone's customer getting denied on their insurance claim... Fortunately, it wasn't MY customer, or I'd have had someone's head...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CSOKI Mike
    What makes the expectation much more unrealistic is that there really isn't a mechanism in place in their system to take the phone back... If you broke your phone, they send you an envelope with a case # on it to get it properly sent back and dealt with... If you lost the phone, they don't send you this envelope, and have no procedure for dealing with it or sending it to the right place if you send them the phone later. You'll never get it back, but likely because it ended up in the mailroom trash can, not because Asurion actually checked it back in.

By the way, former coworkers of mine had scammed insurance before by putting a phone on their acct, claiming insurance, then putting the old phone back... The phones still can be activated... The problem I always pointed out to them (and was ignored on) was that the ESN is flagged by the insurance company so that it can't have another claim made on it. I'm pretty sure what put a stop to it was someone's customer getting denied on their insurance claim... Fortunately, it wasn't MY customer, or I'd have had someone's head...
    Again, I believe the official expectation (realistic or not) from the insurance company, which is also likely at least in their fine print, is that for any replaced phone if the stolen/lost phone is recovered/found they (the insurance company) would be contacted so that they could follow-up with any necessary information/actions (perhaps send out a pre-paid return envelope, perhaps direct the customer to turn the phone to a local VZW corporate store, or perhaps something else).