Thread: JAVA apps now working with TMobileWeb proxy w/ Nokia

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 (unlocked Euro)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

JAVA apps now working with TMobileWeb proxy w/ Nokia

Hey all,

As we all know, Nokia doesn't allow one to specify a proxy for an Access Point in Series 40 v2 and v3 phones (6131, 6133, ...), which sucks to say the least. This means that for those of us with the $5.99 TMobileWeb plan who are in areas where the proxy is needed, we can't run JAVA apps that use the network (Opera Mini, Google Maps, ...). Unfortunately, T-Mobile is locking down its ports so more and more of us NEED to be able to go through a proxy (because we're too damn poor to pay for the full internet service).

So to satisfy this need, I wrote a configuration script that allows JAVA apps to work using the TMobileWeb proxy on port 8080. I have a feeling that a lot of people will want this . I've tested it on my 6131 with MGMaps, Opera Mini, and Google Maps, all successfully.

Basically, this means that us S40v2 and S40v3 users who don't have free internet anymore can once again start using internet-based JAVA programs!

I will upload the config file to a website tomorrow. Stay tuned!
    Ravi

ps. I have posted this thread on the nokia forums also, just for cross-reference.
    Last edited by ravidavi; 05-11-2007 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Adding cross-reference to nokia forum thread

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    By the way, the good people over in the T-Mobile forum will probably want to know about this too, but I'm afraid that if I double-post I'll be beheaded. Can a mod suggest what I should do?

Thanks!
    Ravi

Device(s)
    Nokia 6300
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    This will be extremely useful, thanks!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

OK, it's done! Click here to download a zip file containing the config doc. The download contains 3 files:

README: figure it out yourself, genius.
    NokiaJAVAProxy.wml: The wml file that you can edit if you need/want different proxy settings.
    NokiaJAVAProxy.prov: The actual binary wbxml provisioning file that should be sent to your phone (via bluetooth or usb). This can NOT be manually edited.

From the README:
    QUICK START: (for TMobileWeb users)
    1: Transfer the "NokiaJAVAProxy.prov" file to your phone, using either Bluetooth or USB.

2: The phone will recognize the configuration settings, and will prompt you to save them. Don't worry if it says "no supported applications".

3: Go to Settings->Configuration->Default Config. Settings, and change the default config to "T-MobileWeb JAVA" (the name of the configuration we just loaded).

That's it! JAVA midlets like Opera Mini, Google Maps, MGMaps, etc... should work now.
    Enjoy! Please post questions/comments/suggestions here.
    Ravi

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok..... I guess I thought more people would need this, considering how many complain about not being able to use a proxy with midlets on their s40 phone.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6300
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Hey sorry I didn't give you feedback right away, this works perfectly and is HUGELY appreciated!! How did you figure this out?

Installation went well, the only thing I noticed is that in order for my phone to recognize the file via bluetooth I had to do "Send File" from my Mac, rather than drag & drop it while browsing the phone.

Also, are there hidden settings for the net access defaults for Java apps that could be accessed via this .prov method? It's a little annoying being asked if I want to allow network access every time I open Opera mini, etc. In the 'application access' menu for each java app, the 'Always allow' option is greyed out...maybe one could turn it on via .prov?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Twincyl
    Hey sorry I didn't give you feedback right away, this works perfectly and is HUGELY appreciated!! How did you figure this out?
    Lots of reading up, thanks to the other people on HowardForums who have posted links to Nokia's documentation explaining their wml tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincy
    Installation went well, the only thing I noticed is that in order for my phone to recognize the file via bluetooth I had to do "Send File" from my Mac, rather than drag & drop it while browsing the phone.
    Correct ... "send file" and "browse device..." use different Bluetooth protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincy
    Also, are there hidden settings for the net access defaults for Java apps that could be accessed via this .prov method? It's a little annoying being asked if I want to allow network access every time I open Opera mini, etc. In the 'application access' menu for each java app, the 'Always allow' option is greyed out...maybe one could turn it on via .prov?
    Unfortunately no. The Nokia OS itself does this, not the Access Point settings. Basically, the provision file is similar to the ones that the T-Mobile or Nokia configurators send to your phone. Nokia has done a pretty good job of explaining how to create these files yourself.

Feedback Score
    So will this help allow the email client to work? I just switched back to my old 6230 because I couldn't get email working.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cxhatchback
    So will this help allow the email client to work? I just switched back to my old 6230 because I couldn't get email working.
    Yup, it should. At least, it does for my 6131 after making sure that I have the right connection settings in the email client.

Ravi

Device(s)
    Nokia 6280
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

6280 Unsupported file format

Hey,
    I have a 6280 and I "transferred" the .prov file via bluetooth. It didn't recognize the file. When I browse to the file on the phone and try to open it, the phone says "Unsupported file Format?".

I are relatively new to this stuff and excuse my ignorance, but is there any special way I need to transfer the file for it to get recognized.

Device(s)
    3gs...Speed Demon
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular now the new ATT
    Feedback Score
    thats why Tmobile sucks soo much ***...alot of SE phones don't work eaither with Tmobile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irrational
    Hey,
    I have a 6280 and I "transferred" the .prov file via bluetooth. It didn't recognize the file. When I browse to the file on the phone and try to open it, the phone says "Unsupported file Format?".
    There are two methods to transfer a file via bluetooth. You probably tried doing a regular file transfer, which simply stores the file on your phone without applying the settings. You need to do the an "object push" (windows users please help on how to do so), after which the phone will tell you "configuration settings recieved" and go from there.

Ravi
    Last edited by ravidavi; 05-16-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6300
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    To do an "object push" transfer in Windows XP I'm pretty sure you just right-click the .prov file and go choose to 'Send' via bluetooth. Then in the screen that appears just search for and select the phone and then send the file.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6280
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hey twincyl/Ravi,
    Thanks for the info. I tried the suggestion Twincyl gave and didn't get it to work ...

I do have an Powerbook. On that, I connected to my phone, when the browser popped up. I clicked send.. button and sent the file over. That didn't work.

Can you please give me the steps you guys used on the mac.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You shouldn't be using the bluetooth browser on the Mac.

On the Mac: Go to the Bluetooth menu -> select "Send file..." (NOT "Browse Device...") -> Select the .prov file (and click Send) -> Select your phone (and click Send). The file will should be seen by the phone as a configuration file and it'll prompt you from there.

Ravi

ps. If windows users have successfuly sent the file via bluetooth, please post how you did it.
    Last edited by ravidavi; 05-16-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast