Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Globalstar GSP-1600 Survival Guide

Device(s)
    Globalstar GSP-1600
    Carrier(s)
    Globalstar
    Feedback Score

Globalstar GSP-1600 Survival Guide

I spent dozens of hours getting my GSP-1600 programmed for both satellite & cell phone service & wanted to pass along some info that might make the experience easier for others.

Globalstar customer service takes care of the satellite service programming - this goes pretty smoothly, & they're very capable with this part of the programming. If you want to activate cellular service, Globalstar techs are willing to assist the cellular provider if you take the phone to your provider's retail store & have them call Globalstar with the phone in hand. (My provider has very few stores, & the techs I encountered weren't able to get my service working over the phone, so I had to figure everything out myself.)

Globalstar will tell you (and your cellular provider) that the GSP-1600 is basically a Qualcomm (Kyocera) QCP-860 - however, it's really not the same. The GSP-1600 menus are similar, but different enough to confuse most cellular support techs.

Tell your provider RIGHT AWAY that the GSP-1600 isn't PRL capable - you will NEVER get it programmed over the air using Verizon's *228 service. It can ONLY be programmed manually. The GSP-1600 also isn't e-911 capable - however, I've heard reports from other folks that some big cellular providers will still activate the phone because it's so unique (try US Cellular). I chose to activate thru Page Plus Cellular (prepaid) b/c they don't care if it's gps-enabled, & they use Verizon's network. I bought my activation & 100 minutes on eBay for $4, then programmed the phone myself.

Here's how I got my service to work:
    1) get a list of Verizon 800Mhz SID's - pick your home SID & 3 others you'll use most often
    2) make sure the phone is set to prefer the g'star network 1st, then digital cellular as follows:
    menu, 8, 8, 1, {up/dn arrow to Gstar pref}, OK, {up/dn arrow to Digtl pref}, OK
    (it'll ONLY try to use the g'star network when you swing out the sat antenna)
    3) make sure nam select is set to auto as follows:
    menu, 8, 9, 1, {up/dn arrow to yes}, OK
    4) program phone as follows:
    menu, 8, 00, {password:000000}, 2, {cell#}, OK, {home_sid}, OK, {provider_name}, OK

Normally you can then just hit END to reboot, & you should be good to go. If you still can't call out, and you know you're near an 800Mhz tower, you can go back into programming & hit OK until you see Options - select it, then hit 2 to go to more programming - check your NIDS (usually 65535) - keep hitting OK until you see HomeSys Term & make sure it's NO (up/down to change if necessary), then OK - also select no for FornSID Term & FornNID Term - OK to AMPS auto-reg & up/down to select enable, then OK - leave lockout sids 0 & acc overld class 1 - when you get back to the NAM program menu, hit END to reboot.

If you keep getting OFFLINE, 0 all SID's except your home SID (slot 1), & try different SIDs in that slot - I found I would get the OFFLINE message if I put an invalid SID in any slot.

Hope this helps - let me know if I missed anything or need to correct.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the awesome post. Prying into the Verizon issue, I have discover that because the phone does not provide E-911 that they will not allow it to be activated through them. Bastards, I already have an 20 accounts with them. How does the pre-paid cards get around the E-911 issue? Does your cell service still work? I wonder it is already implimented in my area and just has not reached yours because I has heard that a cell service in a very rural area of my state will still activate it. Any thoughts?

Carrier(s)
    i wireless
    Feedback Score
    Question for current Globalstar users...how is your service right now? Is it really as bad as some say? Are you seeing call failure rates of 1:3 and short durations? I need to know as I am thinking about jumping on board. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    It has been horrible, virtually unusable. However, while voicing my concerns to Globalstar, they said they launched another eight sats into orbit in last October and should have them in place within the next two weeks.

From talking to the local rep for Globalstar, he reported that the manufacture of the sats had some type of bug or mechanical problem that caused a great number of them to go offline in a short period of time. They spread the remaining working sats overer a larger area resulting in gaps. If they do no have this cleaned up within the next two months, I am cancelling and selling my unit. They said later this month we should notice a difference. Fingers are crossed

Device(s)
    Droid Charge
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    what if I want to activate on sprint, can i just do the Kyrocyera method. I havea sprint account??
    Sprint was good to Me... Now time for VZW... its time i embarked on a new journey..

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility,
    Feedback Score

Programming GSP-1600 for PagePlus

Thanks for the great post. I just have a couple things to add from my experience.

I also chose to activate my GSP-1600 with PagePlus because of their lenient policy and cheap airtime pricing. I tried to do the programming by following this thread but was unsuccessful. I have just now figured out what was wrong after hours of trying different things.

To activate your phone on PagePlus, follow the first post on this thread exactly, but instead of putting your own phone number in the NAM 1, ask your activation agent for an MIN. They will gladly give you two items - the MSD, which is just your phone number, and the MIN, which is a manual programming number. This MIN looks like a local phone number from your area but is usually different from your actual phone number. Once I put this MIN number in NAM 1 I was able to make calls and use all the features of PagePlus that the phone supports. Unfortunately this causes your phone to show the wrong cellular number (since you put the MIN in NAM 1 and it only shows the NAM entry) but at least it is fully functional.

As for Globalstar, I am still waiting for my activation to go through on the Evolution unlimited plan but I'm not very hopeful. When I take my phone outside in GSTAR mode the signal strength jumps between 0 and 4 nonstop during the "optimum" times and I have no service at other times. I have so far made 2 successful connections out of about 40 tries, all during "Optimum" times and with a 70-80% view of the sky. Support assured me my signal would be better once activated but I'm suspicious of this claim. It appears they are desperately in need of a new constellation and I plan on cancelling my subscription if the service doesn't improve and just waiting to reactivate until the 2nd generation consellation is up.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys I seen your posts to the Globalstar 1600 satellite phone so i had to join on here. I called pageplus and they said they would offer the service on the phone. They gave me a little hell for not buying there phone but its ok. I will be doing this switch this week so ill let you know if it works. And your right Verizon is a no go. They wanted to play with the phone more then help make it work.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile(post),ATT(post/pre), Verizon(pre)
    Feedback Score
    PagePlus no longer helps you manually program the Globalstar 1600-they don't do third party phones. I had a 1600 on PagePlus the started acting flakely to the point not being able to see the screen so I did an ESN change and called Customer Service to get help in manually programming the new phone. They would not help me.

Before this week is out I'm activating the Sat phone of my Globalstar and I'll try using the CDMA side that I programming using the information in this thread. My first Globalstar was used and the second has never been activated.
    Wish me luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's cool that you guys are still using the GSP-1600 on the CDMA side. That phone was awesome when I had it but the poor Globalstar service made me ditch the phone.

I wish Iridium would make a hybrid cellular/satellite phone so we can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score

Exclamation Help! What am I doing wrong ?

Here is the info I have programmed into the GSP-1600.

I read the post about having to put in the MIN in NAM1 instead of the actual phone number.

Does this apply to all the settings in the NAM1 menu ?

Please tell me which numbers to change.

Thanks a lot.

I signed up with Page Plus, so it should work.

They gave me a MIN # of 71627327** ( ** replaces #'s for privacy)

My phone number is 518-859-1234 ( again not 1234, but for privacy )

Menu
    Esn 116000***00
    Option 2
    Cell nam 1
    Phone number: 518-859-1234
    Ok
    Nam 1 home sid 78
    Ok
    Nam 1 name
    Page plus
    Ok
    Basic nam 1 programming complete
    Option 2 more programming
    Nam 1 mcc 310
    Ok
    Nam 1 nmsid
    Ok
    Nam1 cdma directory number
    518-859-1234
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 1
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 1
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 2
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 2
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 3
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 3
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 4
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 4
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma primary ch A
    _283
    OK

Nam 1 cdma second ch a
    _691
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma primary ch B
    _384
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma second ch B
    _777
    OK
    NAM 1 CDMA home systerm
    No
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma fornsid term
    No
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma forn nid term
    No
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps directory number
    518-859-1234
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps home sid
    __78
    Ok

NAM 1 amps first page ch
    _334
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps ctrl ch A
    _333
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps ctrl ch B
    _334
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps auto-reg
    Enabled
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma lockout sid1
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps lockout sid1
    Ok
    Nam 1 acc. Overload class
    Ok
    Back to ANM menu

Feedback Score
    I setup a pageplus account today for my GSP-1600 and tried both programming methods above and no go. I tried both the phone number and the min and followed all the instruction above to a tee.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Steve

Feedback Score

Smile programming

The method is different than what I had here.

After much leg work, I got the right instructions.

The MNSID is equal to some other value that they give you.

I forget what they call it, but it is not the same as the phone number.

The values for most of these settings have to be gotten from Page Plus for your area ( cell network ).

If you tell me where you are I will see if I can look them up for you.

Menu
    Esn 116000*******
    Option 2
    Cell nam 1
    Ok
    Nam 1 home sid 78
    Ok
    Nam 1 name
    Page plus
    Ok
    Nam 1 mcc 310 < this is important get from page plus >
    Ok
    Nam 1 nmsid
    007162731234 < This is the number that pageplus gives that = some other value >
    Ok
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 1
    78 ( important )
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 1
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 2
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 2
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 3
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 3
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 4
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 4
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma primary ch A
    _283
    OK

Nam 1 cdma second ch a
    _691
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma primary ch B
    _384
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma second ch B
    _777
    OK
    NAM 1 CDMA home systerm
    No
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma fornsid term
    No
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma forn nid term
    No
    Ok
    518-859-1234
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps home sid
    __78
    Ok

NAM 1 amps first page ch
    _334
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps ctrl ch A
    _333
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps ctrl ch B
    _334
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps auto-reg
    Enabled
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma lockout sid1
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps lockout sid1
    Ok
    7 (this will be set by the phone )
    Ok
    Back to ANM menu
    exit
    reboot phone
    make a test call to your home number.

This will activate the phone and allow incoming calls

I found that you need to call out every time you turn the phone on to get it to accept incoming calls.

I know it is a pain, but that's the way the phone is.

The satellite programming, you need to call Globalstar. They do everything from their end. If you don't want it right now you don't need it to get the phone to work on the cell network.

Let me know how you make out.

Bill

Feedback Score
    Thanks for responding. The info I got from page plus was phone number, min, and an SID of 4119. I'm located in Dallas, TX

Thanks so much fo for your help.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by radicalbill View Post
    The method is different than what I had here.

After much leg work, I got the right instructions.

The MNSID is equal to some other value that they give you.

I forget what they call it, but it is not the same as the phone number.

The values for most of these settings have to be gotten from Page Plus for your area ( cell network ).

If you tell me where you are I will see if I can look them up for you.

Menu
    Esn 116000*******
    Option 2
    Cell nam 1
    Ok
    Nam 1 home sid 78
    Ok
    Nam 1 name
    Page plus
    Ok
    Nam 1 mcc 310 < this is important get from page plus >
    Ok
    Nam 1 nmsid
    007162731234 < This is the number that pageplus gives that = some other value >
    Ok
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 1
    78 ( important )
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 1
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 2
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 2
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 3
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 3
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home sid 4
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma home nid 4
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma primary ch A
    _283
    OK

Nam 1 cdma second ch a
    _691
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma primary ch B
    _384
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma second ch B
    _777
    OK
    NAM 1 CDMA home systerm
    No
    OK
    Nam 1 cdma fornsid term
    No
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma forn nid term
    No
    Ok
    518-859-1234
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps home sid
    __78
    Ok

NAM 1 amps first page ch
    _334
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps ctrl ch A
    _333
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps ctrl ch B
    _334
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps auto-reg
    Enabled
    Ok
    Nam 1 cdma lockout sid1
    Ok
    Nam 1 amps lockout sid1
    Ok
    7 (this will be set by the phone )
    Ok
    Back to ANM menu
    exit
    reboot phone
    make a test call to your home number.

This will activate the phone and allow incoming calls

I found that you need to call out every time you turn the phone on to get it to accept incoming calls.

I know it is a pain, but that's the way the phone is.

The satellite programming, you need to call Globalstar. They do everything from their end. If you don't want it right now you don't need it to get the phone to work on the cell network.

Let me know how you make out.

Bill

Feedback Score
    OK, wherever it says NMSID and I have a number in that space, put in your MIN number, Wherever it says NAM1 and I have a number in there, put in your phone number.

The SID says SID on the menu, so enter your SID there.

Just substitute your values for mine and follow my instructions.

04119 is the correct value for your areas SID for the Verizon network.

What does the MCC read on your phone ?

Is it 310 ?

Feedback Score
    Thanks Bill. Yes my MCC reads 310. Pageplus didn't give anything different. As far as the MNSID, do I put the 00 in front of the min? or just put in the min?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by radicalbill View Post
    OK, wherever it says NMSID and I have a number in that space, put in your MIN number, Wherever it says NAM1 and I have a number in there, put in your phone number.

The SID says SID on the menu, so enter your SID there.

Just substitute your values for mine and follow my instructions.

04119 is the correct value for your areas SID for the Verizon network.

What does the MCC read on your phone ?

Is it 310 ?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast