Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Globalstar GSP-1600 Survival Guide

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How long is the time limit on sat calls and can you turn service on and off?
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8 on Cellular One and Globalstar gsp-1600
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    Not sure what you mean. They have a App on their site to determine how long satellite coverage will be available over the specific location you are at. As they replace the degrading satellites, full time, always available coverage will return.

As for turning service on and off. your options are 1 year contract at 39.95 a month unlimited or prepaid. Prepaid is not cheap. like 1.99 a min.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Oh I see, I thought they were purposely limiting call times.

Feedback Score
    My 12 year old PC has an RS-232 port, so I can only comment on what I read during the installation. It says supported USB-Serial devices have SCS-PTC modem, Prolifc PL2303 or FTDI chipsets. There is a WIN7 compatible PL2303 adapter. Did you activate your Express Data Account? From what I've read, it's all included with the unlimited plans. Wikipedia lists 1990 for the milestone date of the 9600 bps modem. NOAA.GOV, without images, with accelerator, takes 3 minutes to load. Most surfing is just long enough for 3 full web-pages before the satellite disappears again. Not a failure of a system, we just have a single receiver / account.

Feedback Score
    I just got satellite internet to work on Windows 7 through a PL2303 chip USB-Serial cord. I had trouble at first because generic modem defaults to another port speed. After matching the port speeds, I still had trouble, but was able to communicate to the phone. Even using Globalstar's install.exe, I was not able to find the modem with a port scan. What I did find, was the "Unverified Driver" installed and was successfully selected from the modem list. Steps:
    My Windows 7 experience
    1. Install USB-Serial cord with manufacturer drivers, note COM port.
    2. Run Globalstar's install.exe then exit.
    3. Windows: Install new modem... select from list, "Globalstar GSP-1600 Modem" on COM...
    4. Setup new dial up connection #777, no user/pass.
    5. Install Expressdata 2.0 software with your Globalstar provided password.
    6. Use mobile websites if possible, http://mobile.weather.gov for NOAA as an example.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score

GlobalStar Activation Success

OK. I have posted before about getting Page Plus setup on my GSP-1600.. That went very smooth if you have any phone programming experience.

Now I finally had a few bucks set aside to get the Satellite portion turned on.

Called Globalstar. Faxed in their sheet (didn't bother with a 3rd party, Why deal with someone who has to fax again the paperwork later) Called back in, Talked with Marco for a second time. He found my paperwork in the Fax and said I will get a call back in a approx a hour once the credit checks and such come back. I did not give them my SSN.. Only DL and Birthday.

Hour later, Call back. Very nice woman went over the info with me.. Let me know that my credit stinks (Thanks X-Wife) And they they would be more than happy to activate my phone but require for a deposit the 39.99 x 12 up front for the year contract. Honestly, not a big or bad deal as once I Paid today the total +50.00 activation (grrrr) The only bills that will come are any taxes and any roaming if I leave North America. So I slapped down 520 bucks today (ouch) and 30 min later Phone was active. First call to #TEST was successful. Called my cell phone with it.. No Caller id from the phone (that sucks) but was able to connect just fine.

Called my parents to test out the call quality. (Believe me, if it sounds like crap, they will tell me) And the phone sounded better than my android phone on my end and My dad said it sounded great!.

So Call quality was good. Talked to Parents for about 8 min. Setup Google Voice on the phone so I had a local phone number.

FYI. The phone # Programmed into the phone is and will always be that phones number. IF you got the Box with your phone, there should be a phone number next the the Barcode. Thats your sat phones number. They apparently preprogram a number into each handset and thats that. Kinda sucks and at same time made activation a snap as there was no programming on the phone needed for G*.

Google Voice was easy as pie to setup. ( have several so was even easier for me ) Phone rang, punched in the 2 digit verification for google and done.

So. Day one. Very happy. Yes I have had signal issues just like everyone else. I have had to wait aprox 10 min for a window of coverage to hit for me. However once it has coverage it locks on very well. Very happy.

Will update how it goes in 30 days. Have a car kit arriving Wed so I can make use of it while I'm driving around.

So far.. Worth the cash compared to the Per minute costs to use Iridium.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Using Google Voice is a great idea, thanks! I looked at the call times tool today. The window of service is much improved since last year, in my area. I sold my Iridium phone, that Globalstar had provided, and just dealt with the signal issues. Hopefully Globalstar will be successful, I have been a client since 2007 and really like the service, when its right.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    Been Playing with my phone all nite. Working good.. Got Voice Mail setup. Only Glitch I got so far.... No incoming or Outgoing Caller ID? I messaged G* on this and hope its a glitch and not a lack of on their network. What phone doesn't have Caller ID? I can live with No outgoing, but no incoming kinda sucks. None The Less.. Worse come to worse, can use Google Voice to "Screen" the call and find out who the heck it is incase you really don't want to talk to them and they don't know they are being screened other then they say their name and it just Rings until you accept or it goes to VM if not.

Any G* people want to elaborate if they have working Caller ID?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    have thoughts about using a Bluetooth to Serial port adapter and setup DUN on Tablet over Bluetooth to use the net on the phone (i know its sooo speedy) but should be able to get emails and send SMS with Google Voice as needed and with slow as hell loading, get google maps up if needed... (thinking google maps are a bit off, but I do have a offline gps app with maps on Tablet) .. Figured getting car kit. Don't want to lug laptop around so this may be a good option. Any thoughts?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Using Google Voice is a great idea, thanks! I looked at the call times tool today. The window of service is much improved since last year, in my area. I sold my Iridium phone, that Globalstar had provided, and just dealt with the signal issues. Hopefully Globalstar will be successful, I have been a client since 2007 and really like the service, when its right.
    Globalstar actually provided you a Iridium phone? Crazy

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    Day 2 of Globalstar and I couldn't be happier unless they shot more satellites up to get more constant coverage. I've had 10 calls and only had 1 fade away. Today I also got my car kit and just got that hooked up in my Jimmy tonight. Took a drive to the store and had a 10 min call on the way. Perfect call not a hiccup.

Going to try my laptop on the phone here shortly and see if I can make a simple setup to get email and send SMS as needed when not in the confines of normal population

Thinking the Mobile Gmail and Mobile Gtalk sites are my best bet. Will find out.

Still have hopes to find a way to do Bluetooth DUN and use my Android tablet instead of laptop.

More updates to follow.

Feedback Score
    That car kit is nice. A very noticeable doubling of the satellite transmission power and an omnidirectional antenna to boot. People laugh, but it's comfortable having a 6.5 oz handset with a coiled cord to twirl. Watch out on hanging up, it switches to speakerphone instead of ending the call No literature on the kit states the 800 MHz external antenna jack is amplified, but attaching a cheap suction cup cell antenna gains me a solid two bars indoors. A tip for you mariner types, the Pelican 1450 is a precise fit for the soft case (even with the aforementioned privacy kit). Now, I wish there was more availability in tiny (but powerful) 12 volt uninterpretable power supplies. The kit draws over 30 watts in satellite and 10 watts in standby and cell by my measurements and is fused to 10 amps. Everything that fits the criteria of dimensions, amperage and watt-hours needs a separate bulky charger. A UPS type setup in-line with the cigarette adapter fitted in the bag is what I've been looking for.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    What kind of power setup are you using it in? What about Alarm system or UPS batteries? How long do you want the 12 volts to work on battery?

May have a few ideas if I knew what you were trying to accomplish.

Feedback Score
    I searched all over for the voltage limitations of the car kit. All sources are the same "12VDC". They don't even list amps because the device is originally hardwired to a vehicle.
    I'd like a few small cells, not lead-acid, that can package into the included carry case in Pelican 1450.
    I'd like either an answer the device can handle 4 Lithium cells topping out at 16V that have very low internal-resistance or a voltage converter to 8A.
    I'd also like no separate charger for the system. Consider: single cigarette lighter plug, stays powered for a few hours unplugged, then recharges and becomes repowered when restoring cigarette lighter plug, no interruptions.

I couldn't find anything single piece that does this. Thanks for offering. Maybe you can provide the community with a solder up parts kit?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cellular One
    Feedback Score
    Hello All Globalstar fans.

I am setting up a Blog of my Projects with my Globalstar GSP-1600 phone.
    I will be detailing all things I do in the upcoming days.

Wanted to share the info with anyone here interested. I have some info I received here and other Info I put together along the way. Please check it out and comment on anything you wish.

Thank You

www.azmobilemedic.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast