Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is It Bad To Put Premium Gas In A Unleaded Tank?

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Is It Bad To Put Premium Gas In A Unleaded Tank?

what can happen if you put the good stuff in a unleaded tank. (Premium & Premium Plus)

Some people say the gas will burn cleaner and give you increase performance and others say the higher octanes can Fubar your car. Anyone here try it or know what really happens?

I also wonder what would happen if you fill up your tank with unleaded but then refill your tank with premium... Can that mess up your tank mixing octanes?
    Knowledge Is Power
    Enjoy
    Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle
    Abraham Lincoln

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB (Black)
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    [ AT&T ]
    Feedback Score
    Meh, gas is gas.
    | iPhone ringtone tutorial | Facebook 'Like' me! |
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    Toez...the in-house HoFo pimp.

I have sigs turned off | The opinions expressed in my posts are my own.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Reg/Plus/Prem are ALL unleaded. You seem to be mixed up here. As far as which octane is best for you, check out your user's guide and your engine's compression ratio. If your car is something like a base Corolla LE, it will not benefit from premium. If your car is something like a IS350, using regular is fine but you'll see slightly increased performance and smoothness with premium. Using premium is well worth it in an engine with a higher compression ratio as you'll get optimum performance.

I use regular gas in my I4, premium for my mom's (10:5:1 compression ratio..not exactly high but there's a noticeable difference between reg and prem gas) V6.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Toyota | let's go places

Primary: Galaxy Note 3 and LG F6: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Phone
    Samsung ATIV S
    Carrier
    TELUS Mobility (2000-current)
    Feedback Score
    I think you meant to say if it's ok to put premium gas in a car that is recommended to use regular.

Yes you can, but it's a waste of money. Run the lowest octane that your car will run optimally. Many cars today have knock sensors so running regular gas in a car that recommends premium is ok, with reduced performance. Compression is one indication of whether or not you require premium. I believe timing is also a factor. I've never believed that running a higher octane gets you better fuel economy. I've tried this before in all my cars and I get worse mileage running 92/94 in my dd's.

Case in point, run whatever octane your owner's manual dictates.

Feedback Score
    Toss in every other fill up a bottle of that injector cleaner

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonka
    I think you meant to say if it's ok to put premium gas in a car that is recommended to use regular.

Yes you can, but it's a waste of money. Run the lowest octane that your car will run optimally. Many cars today have knock sensors so running regular gas in a car that recommends premium is ok, with reduced performance. Compression is one indication of whether or not you require premium. I believe timing is also a factor. I've never believed that running a higher octane gets you better fuel economy. I've tried this before in all my cars and I get worse mileage running 92/94 in my dd's.

Case in point, run whatever octane your owner's manual dictates.
    Awesome, pretty much what I was looking for. Its good to hear it from someone who has actually tried it. My car is a 4 cylinder and my roommate is always telling me if i fill up with premium I will get better gas mileage and performance. I didn't see any octane ratio in my user guide and the dealership just said use unleaded gas. I'm gonna look a little harder and look into the whole octane ratio deal and see if it will give me better gas mileage.

But what about mixing octane gas. For instance if I fill up my tank with unleaded then turn around and fill it up with premium is it going to mix the octane and give me a problem or hurt my engine?

Thanks

Phones
    I355
    I58sr
    Carrier
    NEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MoJoD
    Awesome, pretty much what I was looking for. Its good to hear it from someone who has actually tried it. My car is a 4 cylinder and my roommate is always telling me if i fill up with premium I will get better gas mileage and performance. I didn't see any octane ratio in my user guide and the dealership just said use unleaded gas. I'm gonna look a little harder and look into the whole octane ratio deal and see if it will give me better gas mileage.

But what about mixing octane gas. For instance if I fill up my tank with unleaded then turn around and fill it up with premium is it going to mix the octane and give me a problem or hurt my engine?

Thanks
    Higher octane gas has a higher flashpoint so if your car has preignition or pinging you should switch to a higher octane.
    I have read that higher octane fuel can couse carbon buildup over a long period of time. Just use the high octane if you need it becouse your car is pinging or if it is recomended for your car.
    Mixing gas (octane) is ok.

Phones
    Unlocked Samsung S8000 Jet
    Tmobile Behold
    Tmobile Rokr E8
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    the only time you would have to use premium is if you mod your car by installing a supercharger or turbo. I've got an old corolla and it makes no sense using premium. As long as the gas is unleaded, using the lowest octane is good enough.

Like what others have posted previously, if you experience pinging, switch to a higher grade unleaded fuel or you could try pouring the fuel injection cleaner every other fill up.

Is it true that there is a place in a man's head that if you shoot it, it will blow up??

Phones
    iPhone
    Nokia E62 (soon to be E61)
    QTek 8500
    Carrier
    AT&T (***, ****, and mo' ****)
    Feedback Score
    If you've got a turbo on your car you should use premium. Otherwise stick with regular.

Please don't sue me peterbrowne!

Phones
    Nokia N82 Titanium (Finland)
    Nokia N93 Black (Finland)
    Carriers
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    u should only buy premium gas if the car needs it to perform.

Feedback Score
    What does your manual say? Go with that. End of story.

Phones
    Carriers
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    What does your manual say? Go with that. End of story.
    nicely said

Phones
    Sharp SH-09D
    Sharp SH-09D
    BB Z10
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theantidote
    If you've got a turbo on your car you should use premium. Otherwise stick with regular.
    sigh.... sniff sniff...
    [Selling 6FT DVI to DVI Cables]

My Call Sign for XBOX Live is : SS Talon
    My Call Sign for PS3 is : sstalon
    Game Center is : sstalon
    Ping is : sstalon
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angel_wing0
    nicely said
    +1. Look at the manual since sometimes car with high compression engines need premium that arent turboed or supercharged.

Phones
    Carriers
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WoNGsTeR
    sigh.... sniff sniff...
    same...i m actually thinking of changing my car if this gas trend persists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast