Thread: How to migrate your contacts from BitPim to Microsoft Outlook

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

How to migrate your contacts from BitPim to Microsoft Outlook

Why I wrote this tutorial
    For those of you who are making the transition from a regular phone to a PDA Smarthone, you may find difficulty migrating your contacts to your new device. In all my previous phone upgrades, I was able to use the BREW Backup Assistant application available on Get It Now to backup and restore my contacts with ease. I soon discovered that this application is not available for PDA Smartphones. I simply couldn't find an easy way to migrate all of my contacts from my LG VX8600 to my new Blackberry 8830.

Scope
    This tutorial will guide you through a very simple process that will help you backup and migrate all of your contacts from BitPim into Microsoft Outlook. Once your contacts are in Outlook, you can then easily sync it with just about any PDA Smartphone on the market with the software provided by the manufacturer.

This tutorial will not guide you through connecting your phone to your PC. It will not guide you through backing up your phonebook into BitPim. If you do not know how to connect your phone to your PC or don't already have your contacts backed up in BitPim, search the forums for tutorials on how to do those thing. These topic have been discussed many times and there is plenty of content out there.

Prerequisites
    In order to use this tutorial, you must have the following:
    1. Microsoft Outlook
    2. BitPim with your contacts already backed up!
    3. vCard Helper - A small program I wrote that will generate vCard's from the file exported by BitPim.
    4. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - The runtime libraries required to execute my program.
    Most of you may already have this installed. Try downloading and running my tool first. If program launches, then there is no need to install it. If not, download the framework from link provided.

Getting Started
    Step 1 - Open BitPim and select 'File' > 'Export' > 'vCards...' for the menu bar.

Step 2 - Select 'Full vCard v3.0' from the 'Dialect' group box and select 'All (###)' from the 'Rows' group box. Be sure to remember where you are exporting the file to. It's generally a good idea to dump the file to your desktop so you can easily access later in the tutorial. After everything is setup, click 'Ok'.

Step 3 - Launch the 'vCard Helper' tool listed in the Prerequisites section of this tutorial. Select the vCard file to parse by clicking the '...' button and specify the output folder. The defaul location is '...\My Documents\Contacts'.

Step 4 - Once everything is set, click 'Save vCards' and let the tool work it's magic.

The tool will create a seperate vCard for each contact. These vCards can then be dragged and dropped into Microsoft Outlook. Once your contacts are in Outlook, you then have the ability to export them to just about any format and sync them to just about any Smartphone. I have yet to see a Smartphone that doesn't sync with Outlook.

Bellow, you'll find a link to the source code for the program. It was written in C# and compiled against the .NET Framework version 2.0. Feel free to download and distribute the program and or source code. I only ask that you do not remove my name from the comments in the file headers.

vCard Helper Source Code

Special thanks to Humpa for hosting both the binaries and source code for the vCard Helper tool.

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

Cheers,
    randyman
    Last edited by randyman; 05-19-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    I added a link to this on my www.humpa.com/vzw page while I was at it ... just so you know.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks humpa... much appreciated.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I did it just the way you described and Outlook isn't taking my vCards.

I'm using Outlook 2003 w/ SP2 on Windows XP. I tried all vCard formats on your program but Outlook says it is an incompatible format.....so bogus.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I ran the vCard helper and it didnt work either: it made all the individual vCards, but each of them was blank.

Device(s)
    BB Curve 8330, BB Pearl 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Outlook should be able to accept a CSV (comma sep. values) file. I had to do that once for a relative. It just takes a little bit of tweaking to get it to save all the fields to the right location in your address book.

You may want to give that a try...
    I never cease to be amazed by how much I don't know.