Thread: KRZR K1m unable to charge via PC

Phones
    Moto Krzr
    novatel s720
    Carriers
    USCC
    Feedback Score

Angry KRZR K1m unable to charge via PC

My phone charges fine with the oem travel charger, but it will not charge with any of my mini usb cables. I tried 3 different cables with 2 different computers. With the phone power off it will display "Charging Battery" but it really isn't charging. And with the phone powered on it does the same thing and the battery icon disappears, or it will display unable to charge.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Phones
    LG VX9600
    Moto Droid X
    LG Versa (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Now that you bring up this subject mine doesn't charge from any PC or with any of 3 different cables either.

Feedback Score

This is just a guess...

Somewhere I read that the usb charging is software based, so if the phone is dead completely it won't charge it. Perhaps the same applies if it is powered off? Even though it is saying charging that may be a bug. Does it truly charge it when you have it plugged in and on?

Feedback Score
    You need to find some Motorola drivers so your PC will recognize the phone. I found it strange that you need drivers in order to charge the phone but that is the way it works for my Sprint KRZR.

Feedback Score
    I lost my wall charger and used the PC cable to charge my phone for a month. It is also my new solution for when I am on the road for work.

Phones
    LG VX9600
    Moto Droid X
    LG Versa (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by olsenis
    You need to find some Motorola drivers so your PC will recognize the phone. I found it strange that you need drivers in order to charge the phone but that is the way it works for my Sprint KRZR.
    My PC is chock full of Moto drivers from having that stupid w315. Still no joy in charging the battery from the PC. When I plug the USB into the direct USB on the computer it makes no difference, it still doesn't charge. I have noticed two things within the phone. One is that there is a "charging time" available for setting anywhere from 0 to 5 hours. The other thing is that going to connection > USB settings > change > there is a choice for USB drive or modem/com. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for any advice.

Feedback Score
    mine doesn't seem to be charging with a USB wall charger, no lights are going on. What would you recommend? I have also tried using a USB cable from pc, the phone is recognized but it doesn't appear to be charged.

Feedback Score
    Check SEEM 004a_0001 offset 207 (01 charge via computer USB connection, 00 do not charge via computer USB connection)

Phone
    V3XX KRZR
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had the same issue at first. You have to have the usb drivers installed on your pc in order for it to charge. The Plug and Pray ( I mean Play) should auto detect a mass storage drive...ie your phone. You may have to play with your pc some. Be sure to have all of your windows updates. Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    What is funny is
    One, I get it to charge fine with the USB charge AC charger it came with, but my other USB mini chargers don't seem to charge it,
    and

two, I can charge my RAZR and SLVR on the PC fine, but the KRZR seems to connect, but won't charge. I'll check the seem listed above, but I would have thought that having the RAZR and SLVR working on the laptop, that the KRZR would just work as well.

It DOES want to load and install a file, anyone know where to get that to enable the KRZR to be seen fine?

Feedback Score
    We've found that the cable seems to have a lot to do with it.

On my PC (without the driver) and my wife's laptop (with the driver), we've tried about 8 different USB cables. Two work OK for charging, the others don't. All the cables let the phone detect the PC and vice versa, but only two let it charge.

I can't imagine why this is the case, as the cables which don't work, do let other devices charge.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is a bit of an old thread, but I just got a KRZR. Could not charge it either, downloaded this from Motorola's site. Installed the drivers, unplugged and plugged it in again, now I am charging.

After all is said and done, I like the KRZR. A good "basic" phone. Excellent voice quality - better than my E815. Verizon definitely did cripple it though. Again, as far as a basic phone goes though - it does not get much better.

Feedback Score
    Remember..you must plug into a powered USB port to charge any device. Some PCs have extra ports on keyboards, front panel, monitor and these ports may be unpowered.