Phones
    iPhone 4 32gb
    VZW MiFi 2200
    Sony w810i unlocked
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Will iPhone support DUN via bluetooth / BT and USB

I did a search for iphone and DUN but nothing came up.

Will we be able to use dial up networking via BT or USB with the iphone, to connect our palm pilot or pda or pocket pc to the internet if we have a data plan?

I used to have a sony ericson T610, and then an N-gage and Nokia 6820 and all supported DUN for other BT devices like my other pda's and mac laptop. Right now I am torn between staying with verizon for data with my Audiovox 6600 or a newer 6800 coming out in June, or the HTC 8525 with 3g on ATT or the iPhone.

I am considering the ATT for pda/data because then when my daughter goes to Germany next spring she can get a sim card to use it overseas as well. I might also consider the new Blackberry 8830 which is cdma/gsm combination international phone and has multimedia.

My XV6600 is getting a little old, and recently can't maintain connections via BT for long periods of time, although USB with windows virtual machine will stay connected for hours. I just think I am ready for something new after 2.5 years...

Phone
    Treo 750
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I can't point to the reference, but I remember reading from one of the people who got a hands on with the iPhone that they asked this question and were told that it would not support DUN via Bluetooth. Of course this support is simply a software deal, so they may decide to add it in before launch, but who knows.
    Wirelessinfo

Feedback Score
    Hmmm. what about my H700 motorola bluetoosh headset, will that work and will it sync to my car bluetooth?. I read somewhere that it only sees an apple bt.

Lost in the little *blue* world lol

Phones
    iPhone 8gb
    Jabra 8010 Bluetooth Stereo headset
    Carrier
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score
    I can't imagine that it wouldn't worth with non-apple Bluetooth technology. Even according to what we know for sure, on the apple website, it mentions having bluetooth 2.0 compatibility, and so anything that uses that specification must at least serve as a standard headset/handsfree profile.

What we don't know (and what I hope it has) is a full compliment of bluetooth profiles including stereo ones.
    Gmail thanks to Southbay!

Phones
    HTC 3600
    Sony Ericsson T637
    Sony Ericsson K700i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Bluetooth DUN

Does anybody know if the xv6800 will support bluetooth DUN?

Carriers
    Boost Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    The XV8600 will support Bluetooth PAN, which is the successor to DUN.

There is no technical reason why iPhone cannot function as a modem or internet connection. TinyProxy lets hacked iPhones do it already... and we've already shown that iPhone has support for DUN/PAN on the underlying subsystems.

I suspect more outrage will come when iPhone International is released... then more of what AT&T neutered for the American iPhone will be shown (though probably not all of it). That in turn will prompt more outrage, and pressure Apple and AT&T to issue firmware updates that open iPhone up a bit more.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    News - Phone Encyclopedia - Reviews - Nerds

ChristopherPrice.net | iConsole

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    Moto Q9H
    KRZR
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the iPhone supports wifi DUN. i used this over the weekend and it worked great.

from The General over at Mac Rumors

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
    http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:
    BSD Subsystem
    Term-VT100

3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.
    IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."
    IP address: 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.
    IP address: 192.168.1.100
    Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.
    "i believe louisiana is the pelican state"

WHO-DEY!!!

Feedback Score
    I just went though the process that you quoted and I don't know what is wrong but when I run terminal on my iphone and type the command "srelay" it says no valid entries found. What do I do??? Please Help

Thanks

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch33
    the iPhone supports wifi DUN. i used this over the weekend and it worked great.
    Might have to give this a try tonight. thx for the instructions

sciphone.net - The best iPhone Wallpapers on the Internet. New Wallpapers Added Daily!

sciphoneapps.com - The best iPhone applications on the Internet.
    Now serving : 38,000 Applications...

Feedback Score
    same for me

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    Moto Q9H
    KRZR
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slimvaio
    I just went though the process that you quoted and I don't know what is wrong but when I run terminal on my iphone and type the command "srelay" it says no valid entries found. What do I do??? Please Help

Thanks
    dont worry about it. mine says the same thing but still works.

Feedback Score
    I went looking for DUN/PAN support on the iphone binaries and didn't find anything. Obviously I was looking in the wrong place. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat
    There is no technical reason why iPhone cannot function as a modem or internet connection. TinyProxy lets hacked iPhones do it already... and we've already shown that iPhone has support for DUN/PAN on the underlying subsystems.

Feedback Score

DNS Problem?

I'm having what seems to be a very strange DNS problem. Here are the symptoms:

- Going to http://google.com/ does not work
    - Going to http://72.14.207.99/
    - Visiting http://google.com/ in Safari on my iPhone then allows me to access http://google.com/ on my mac

Most (but not all) sites exhibit this same behavior.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Does anybody know a possible fix?