Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official HTC S630 (Cavalier) Thread

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john1027
    Haven't been able to do so yet. I got rid of everything in the startup that could be remotely associated and it will still pop up after a soft reset. Haven't tried too hard and I've seen threads elsewhere where others can't figure it out either. It maybe in the rom. It will never recognize any of the North American carrier settings as it is programmed only with Far East setttings.

Are you running the installed Cyberon voice command?
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't delete the Cyberon voice command but I'm not using it/haven't tried it.

- Josh

p.s. another shout out for Smart Mobile Gadgets.

Device(s)
    HTC TyTN
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Have an HTC branded version for sale. This is an engineering sample/proto with
    WM 6 installed. Look here:
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/350933978.html
    Selling:

1) Used for 10 months- HTC TyTN II :$250.

2) Industrial Strength Wireless Signal Boosters :$200

Device(s)
    Android Flagships
    Carrier(s)
    13th year @ T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    With respect why would ANYONE want to buy a prototype Cavalier for $719 for regular phone use (unless they like collectibles) when one can get the Dopod c730 from eBay shipped from Hong Kong from a reputable seller for $540 or even get it from SMG for $600?

Device(s)
    iPhone4 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I used Smart Mobile Gadgets. Regarding your decision, if you are waiting to see if a North American carrier adopts this phone, you might be waiting awhile as no one has announced they will do so. For that matter, there still is no hard evidence that HTC is even going to release their own branded version although logically it would seem that they would. Price-wise, you will do a lot better with the Dash and WM6.
    Yeah that is basically what i was waiting for, but im gonna leave wm5 on it and buy one off of ebay. However if i do decide to get one from TMob, do they usually honour the warranty?
    -Cell Phone user since 99
    -Nokia 252 (@ rents), Qualcomm 860 (@ rents), samsung a310 (sold), motorola i50s (@ rents), motorola startac 7868sw (@ rents), LG vx4500 (@rents), LG VX9800 (sold), LG VX8600 (@rents), HTC Dash (sold), Motorola Q9H (i have it), Blackberry Bold 9000 (sold), iPhone 4 (RETURNED), Samsung Captivate (current, rooted)
    -NRA, MOC, MGO, GSSF Member, Certified Glock Armorer

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

Device(s)
    BB Bold 8900 (work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not the best one to comment on T-Mobile as my accounts are with AT&T. If you buy one directly from Tmobile, you'd be covered under their full warranty. If you bought it on eBay and had an account with them, I'd bet that they would at least help you with the warranty issues. Either way, with a dash, its going to be serviced in the U.S., and you don't have the warranty service issues you have if you buy a device that hasn't yet been released in the U.S. yet.

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Some useful C730 tweaks

hi folks - I got my HK C730 on Monday & am happy with it, but of course I've been trying to tweak it a bit!

Attached is a zip file three .cabs inside. Each of these is an easy way to apply a registry tweak:

vitoenable0000101b.cab - lets Vito CopyPaste work
    gpscom4.cab - allows a bluetooth GPS that's set to COM4: work w/ Google Maps
    cleartype.cab - turns on ClearType throughout the system (the HK C730, at least, doesn't have this enabled by default)

With the Vito tweak, CopyPaste can live side-by-side with KeyTouch MultiPlay. There's no need for a VitoCopyPaste.exe.ini file. The version of CopyPaste I've been using is the prerelease 1.4 build 72 available here: http://valiullin.info/program/VitoCo...prerelease.zip

With the GPS tweak, I've been able to get my Holux GPSlim240 to work with Google Maps.

With the ClearType tweak, the font looks more like on my Dash! (it still looks rather large & bold in the softkey menus, though...)

Please note that I'm not the original discoverer of these tweaks - I just googled a lot of stuff & wrapped them up in cab files. If you want to play around with making your own cab files, use MAKECAB.EXE (a PC command line util, not a smartphone app). It can be had here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618

Take care!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Haven't been able to do so yet. I got rid of everything in the startup that could be remotely associated and it will still pop up after a soft reset. Haven't tried too hard and I've seen threads elsewhere where others can't figure it out either. It maybe in the rom. It will never recognize any of the North American carrier settings as it is programmed only with Far East settings.

Are you running the installed Cyberon voice command?
    I'm also having problems when I turn the C730 on with the message "Your current operator (31041) is not supported. You should obtain an update from your device vendor."

My hunch is that this can be tracked down to the hidden system file \Windows\netwiz.dat. This looks to be the database that's used by the Network Wizard utility. It currently contains entries that are mostly written in Chinese for far-east carriers. I would be interesting to try & apply a netwiz.dat from a different "flavor" of Cavalier, like a worldwide English version... it is possible to place a file with the same name in \Windows and the OS will use it in favor of the one in ROM (at least, that worked for me with Resco Explorer)

Here's a post where someone was able to delete 5 files from inside \Windows on their Artemis (PPC, not Smartphone) device, and the Network Wizard notification stopped nagging them at startup:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...89#post1250289

I'm not sure how to actually go about deleting ROM files (perhaps replace them with dummy files?), plus I'd rather get Network Wizard working correctly (to make Exchange syncing work), rather than just disabling it...

For Cyberon, I uninstalled it, and installed the retail version of Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 instead. Works great with the voice memo button on the left side, but only one of my headsets (the Jawbone) is able to trigger it with its button. (I did notice that WM5 on the Dash seemed to allow more headsets to trigger Voice Command than after I upgraded the Dash to WM6 & used the WM6 built-in Voice Command...)

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I should add, netwiz.dat is a hidden system file & I don't think is visible from the included File Explorer app. However, it is visible when browsing \Windows from a PC that's synced, also when using Resco Explorer and going to Options > Browser and unchecking "hide hidden files"

Device(s)
    BB Bold 8900 (work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of that. I hadn't gotten to Vito yet and that will save some headaches as well as the clear type solutions.

When you placed the empty netwiz.dat file on the device did it stop the behavior and just boot up normally? As far as getting it working, I thought it was just a process that offered to set-up your network connections automatically and when it sees one that is not in its database, you get the msg we are trying to get rid of. In my case, I just ran a Cingular set-up cab and it worked fine although I had to tweak the mms settings as I posted earlier. Am I missing a point here about what the netwiz does?

Lastly, did you try to run Cyberon at all? I maybe wrongfully, thought it was the Chinese version only and had no ability to switch to English. I never played around with it and just uninstalled it and went with MS VC. From a comment someone made and something I read, there actually might have been a way to choose English. I'm happy with MS VC but was just curious.

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what it is that the Network Wizard really does. My guess is that it can twiddle some sort of low-level bits that have to do with what "home" carrier the phone thinks it has.

What I'm hoping to get out of fixing it is to have those "You are currently roaming..." messages go away when I'm trying to sync Exchange over the air (the messages only appear when I'm not tethered via USB).

Which Cingular settings cab did you use? Do you sync w/ Exchange & did those settings make the "You are currently roaming..." messages go away?

The only netwiz file I've tried to replace so far was using a netwiz.dat that I found here for the Australian carrier Telstra that was intended for the 838pro:
    http://www.pressdigital.com.au/helpd...id=12&nav=0,15

The "net" effect of using that netwiz.dat is the carriers in the Network Wizard are now listed in English, and include Australian carriers, but not North American ones. The Network Wizard alert still appears on startup (since this netwiz.dat also doesn't have a Cingular entry). So, a bit informative, but not terribly helpful, unless yer an Ozzie...

I haven't yet tried playing with dummy files for netwiz, but my guess is that the only file worth trying to replace with a dummy is netwiz.exe?? However, I'm not sure if doing so would "fail gracefully" (ie, make the startup error go away) or would pop up a different error complaining that the exe is bad... The Atremis folks were fine with just deleting the netwiz files, but I'm not sure how to do that on Smartphone, hence the dummy idea.

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Oh, for Cyberon, it seems like I got about as far as you did before I threw up my hands & uninstalled it in favor of MS Voice Command. However, I have played w/ the native English version of Cyberon on a different WM smartphone, and wasn't terribly impressed with it - the on-screen UI is kinda fugly, and the style/quality of the voice prompts varies wildly. The recognition quality isn't too bad, however - I just prefer MS Voice Command.

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elbow
    vitoenable0000101b.cab - lets Vito CopyPaste work
    gpscom4.cab - allows a bluetooth GPS that's set to COM4: work w/ Google Maps
    cleartype.cab - turns on ClearType throughout the system (the HK C730, at least, doesn't have this enabled by default)
    I should've mentioned before - for anyone using the tweaks I posted above, please restart your phone after applying them!

Device(s)
    Nokia E72-2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the cabs elbow.

Let me throw in something interesting I just found.

I created an account on DopodAsia and put in my S/N for my phone. If you go to download > application you can download a zip file that reinstalls some of the software that originally comes on the phone...

It says this:

C730 Software Pack Updates (2577)

If you have hard reset your C730, some software will be lost. You are required to install this program to recover the software.

1) Extract the downlaoded file (C730_2577.zip), copy the folder named "2577" to your Micro-SD card (Don't rename the folder name)
    2) Turn on the device, put the Micro-SD card into device.
    3) It will install automatically and restart the device.

So I downloaded it and opened the zip file, one of the cabs in there is a Netwiz cab. Makes me think that a hard reset might remove the Network wiz and solve some of your problems.

I will say for me I get the network wizard when I start up, I just say no and I don't have any problems with my exchange email.

I tried setting up Cyberon but I don't think it understands the commands. I was able to do the digit trainer but it didn't do anything. The english manual doesn't help very much because it doesn't show you what is in the menu command. Since I don't read chinese that made it very hard to figure out what I was doing. I emailed Dopod to try to get the English version of Voice Command but they said they do not support it at this time. I did notice in the download applications of their site they have an old english version for the Dopod 828 (magician).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Dopod C730 "Cavalier"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hi globecode,

Thanks very much for the software pack stuff - hmm, a hard reset may be an interesting route to try... But it makes me wonder what it is that's making my Exchange sync keep throwing up the roaming warnings. Are you using Direct Push? Is it delivering new emails to you w/o you having to manually "pull" them?

If I may ask, what kind of APN setup did you do on your C730? The only thing I've done is go into Settings > Connections > GPRS and manually make an entry for Cingular with the wap.cingular stuff. (Hmm, but I did set it as "Connects To: The Internet" rather than "Connects To : WAP Network" - wonder if that makes a difference??)

It still seems to me that just getting rid of NetWiz wouldn't fix the Exchange problem, but getting NetWiz configured right may be (one way to) do it.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72-2
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I don't usually use directpush, I usually have it check every 15 minutes. Although I tested directpush and it worked fine. I am on cingular blue (really old ATT wireless sim card) and I followed Blue4Life's post here to set up my phone.

The only issue I am having is that I can't get the phone to keep my VoiceMail number, so speeddial #1 does not work for me. I think it is a SIM conflict because checking around cingular orange users are not having this problem.

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast