Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to accelerate quickly with manual car?

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 4S
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

how to accelerate quickly with manual car?

well i've had my first manual transmission car for couple weeks now...took me awhile to get use to but i would say i have the handle of it now. my question is how do you accelerate quickly or "drive hard"? the car seems to be very slow off the line and i remembered that by flooring my old slower automatic corolla it went faster which it's not suppose to

atm i am currently just usually shifting up 1 by 1 at around 3000rpm. what i've read is that is you wanna go quickly you shift at higher rpms like 6000+. i tried that yesterday but didn't really notice a diff. i revved up to 6000 shifted gears and it went down to like 4000rpm which is still above when i usually shift. should i be shifting from like 2 > 4 or 3 > 5 instead of 1 by 1? also read something about putting your car in neutral for a quick second and having your rpm drop all the way down to like 1 or 2 and then revving it up. i don't know. usually i shift into 5th at a bit less than 50mph...what speed should i be in when i shift into 5th now if i want to be accelerating and driving fast?

Phones
    Primary: 902SH
    Backup #1: GX22
    Backup #2: 8390
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i'm no expert... and every car is diff... for me, once i can get into 2nd gear, i can go pretty fast... it's starting from a stop and from 1-2 that still kinda gets me sometimes... i start faster now but not as fast as i'd like.

i don't think you can really compare to an auto... but i kno with experience you can start of really fast....

i've seen some people start pretty damn fast with very little gas from the start... and i guess you can do the rev it up to 3k then dump the clutch thing too?

for my car i notice that the faster i get out of 1st gear, the faster i can accelerate...

revving up in 1st doesn't really help since all it does is help u start moving... so usually i get out of 1st somewhere around 2-3k...

you shouldn't skip gears... that would slow u down... when u shift @ 6ka nd it drops to 4k... that's probably where you want to be anyway, lower end of ur powerband. then you have more room to accel in that gear

the general rule is like... 15mph in each gear for normal driving.. but like.. depends on ur car really... daily driving, i'm in 5th gear by 35-40mph
    -----------------
    MY FEEDBACKS:
    Howard Forums
    Heatware

PAST PHONES:
    W810i, D750i(W800i), K750i, D500, S700i, P900, GX32, Inno55, 6620, V80,
    E715,T630, Z600, V300, X70, 6200, P408, S307, T616, 7210, T300, T68i,
    V220, X426, 6590i, a388, 8260,

Feedback Score
    what kind of car is it? You really need a torque curve for your engine to understand where your best shift points are. If you're going up to 6K and still not feeling any power, you may just have a slow car.

Phones
    Primary: 902SH
    Backup #1: GX22
    Backup #2: 8390
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stlb5
    what kind of car is it? You really need a torque curve for your engine to understand where your best shift points are. If you're going up to 6K and still not feeling any power, you may just have a slow car.
    or do you drive like a matrix xrs/corolla xrs/celica gt-s or like an s2k where you don't get any power until like 7-9k rpm?

Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlb5
    Agree, what cars you driving?

In some cars, you will feel the power at low rpm, (like 2000rpm for GTI), on Hondas, you don't feel any power until you hit Vtec.

Driving a slow manual car doesn't mean you will be faster than an automatic that has more hp and toque
    SKY LAI's Feedbacks (157)

PAYPAL: Canadian - Verified - Premier (33)

Phone History: WAY Too long to list....

FS: Rogers/Fido Simcard - 8$CAD shipped.

Feedback Score
    2000-2500 RPM, clutch out very quickly. The hookup is most essential here. If you can get it to hook up perfectly at idle, do that... its the quickest way.

Take first up to maybe half the rev range... first has lots of torque but obviously runs out of revs too quickly. Second is really where you want to be.

Remember, quick acceleration is a result of

1) Quick hookup of clutch (quick launch) without breaking traction
    2) Quick, efficient shifts

Remember - quick shifts are found in the footwork (your clutch pedal finesse), not really about slamming the shifter around through the gears. You can shift nearly instantaneously if your footwork is good enough, while still moving the shifter rather gently.

If you just started driving, or haven't been driving for long, don't worry about it. Yes, your launches are slow... but you'll get better in time!

Just do what you know and are comfortable with. Don't try to force a WOT acceleration run if you don't feel 100% ready for it yet. There's no rush.

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 4S
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i drive a 07 mazda3 hatch. for an economy car it has a quite a bit of torque compared to hp.

paul34- "2000-2500 RPM, clutch out very quickly." can you elaborate a little more? so i'm at a full stop in 1st gear with clutch in. so i rev till that range and that's when i start letting go of the cluth?

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Nexus 4
    HTC Glacier
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You guys crack me up about the Honda motors. It's not that my car doesn't have any power below 6, but it's more like the power kicks in so hard starting from 6 that it feels torqueless in the lower RPMs.. That's that.

Secondly, Paul, what are you teaching him to do? Launching the car at 2k RPM all day doesn't sound like a great idea. And if you're teaching him to race.. 2k RPM on a launch.. lol.

Lastly, to the OP. You can't really compare an automatic with a manual like that. In the lower RPM, the automatics have a torque converter that gives it bit more of a kick. So why do people think that manuals are quicker? Because you can redline it all day and shift faster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by babooza69
    i drive a 07 mazda3 hatch. for an economy car it has a quite a bit of torque compared to hp.

paul34- "2000-2500 RPM, clutch out very quickly." can you elaborate a little more? so i'm at a full stop in 1st gear with clutch in. so i rev till that range and that's when i start letting go of the cluth?

As far as launching the car, the best thing to do is practice. Start by holding the revs at 1500-2000 and releasing the clutch. What you are looking for is the tach not to move when you release and then go up in RPM as usual. To elabrate, if the RPMs drop, you've released the clutch too fast, if they climb and then drop down and then climb as normal, you've released too slow. In the perfect launch, you don't over or under rev, you just go. Practice at low RPM launches and work your way up. My ideal launch is around 4500RPM, but i've got a turbo so I need to spool. You'll have to do some hunting to find your ideal RPM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by babooza69
    Well, our objective here is to get the clutch to "hook up" as quickly as possible.

So if you rev too high, you'll delay the hook up of the clutch (because the clutch will slip since the flywheel is spinning with so much torque).

If the clutch hooks up TOO quickly at high RPMs, you will break traction and spin the tires. This is bad because you're not going anywhere.

If the clutch hook up too quickly at too low RPMs, well, you know what happen THUMP "Danget I stalled" heh

Basically, I'm not sure how you launch. You can either give it a certain RPM and then clutch out, OR you can give it a certain RPM, and then "see saw" the gas to keep the RPMs constant as the clutch tries to pull them down. In this instance, I'm talking about the latter case.

Since you'll be brining out the clutch quickly (a controlled movement - never dump or pop the clutch), the revs will drop quickly, and you'll have to try to even it out with some more throttle.

It's hard ot explain, if I was there in person I could probably do a better a job. You'll do it one day, probably by accident - and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfkn2
    Secondly, Paul, what are you teaching him to do? Launching the car at 2k RPM all day doesn't sound like a great idea. And if you're teaching him to race.. 2k RPM on a launch.. lol.
    As per the title thread, " how to accelerate quickly with manual car." Obviously you don't want to launch at 2k everytime, but the OP was wondering about spirited launches and WOT acceleration.

Well, I don't know how you launch spiritedly (if you wish to share it with us we are reading), but many people think launching fast means revving to 5k RPM and then popping the clutch. That's the totally wrong way to launch, because then you're just left with spinning tires - delaying traction, which is necessary to move your forward. That's why you launch at the lowest RPM possible, so as to quicken clutch engagement - and so you can transfer full power to the wheels (or if you have a very torquey engine, like a big V8, as much as power as you can send before breaking traction on the drive tires).

Quote Originally Posted by Sfkn2
    Lastly, to the OP. You can't really compare an automatic with a manual like that. In the lower RPM, the automatics have a torque converter that gives it bit more of a kick. So why do people think that manuals are quicker? Because you can redline it all day and shift faster.
    You can redline a modern automatic all day, too. I don't know where you think a torque converter is actually beneficial in some way - it's not. People commonly refer to automatics as "slushies" or "slush boxes" for a reason - the fluid coupling that is the torque converter inevitably results in power and torque loss. With a full mechanical link like a clutch, all available torque is transferred from flywheel -> transmission.

Strictly speaking, a purpose-built auto (not the consumer autos that you get a regular car) such as those built by hardcore dragsters, will actually shift faster than a manual. However, the advantage with a manual isn't really "speed" per se - it's really about #1: not losing any power via a TQ and #2: it affords a level of control of the vehicle that no other transmission can afford at this time.

Yes, even SMGs or DSGs. And for the record, I am including dog boxes/sequential trannies (actual ones, that come with a manual clutch) in my discussion. Normally I don't, since they're a little different from an H-pattern synchroed tranny.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    One of the worst statements I have ever hears is "when the VTEC kicks in". I am pretty sure that VTEC is not like nitrous, or a supercharger, or a turbo. When it kicks in....that cracks me up.

Mazda3, pretty similar to my Focus SVT. You probably don't have any low end torque or power. You need to take it up past 3k rpms to get going. If I am getting on the highway, I will take 1st up to about 4k, then 2nd up to about 5k, then 3rd to about 5k, then 4th to about 5k, then I am going pretty well over the speed limit, I will skip 5th gear, and just roll into 6th gear to cruise. You need to learn to shift quickly, and keep the rpm's up, that will help you accelerate.

For city driving, I usually just shift at 3k rpms for all gears, to save on the gas. No need to take it up to 7k on the street.
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    One of the worst statements I have ever hears is "when the VTEC kicks in". I am pretty sure that VTEC is not like nitrous, or a supercharger, or a turbo. When it kicks in....that cracks me up.
    The newer VTEC is actaully a system much more similar to Toyota's VVT-i or similar systems - basically, it is capable of changing the timing regardless of RPMs.

In the past, VTEC did indeed "kick in," as there was a set RPM at which it would start significantly changing timing and increasing power as a result.

True, VTEC is no turbo or nitrous.

Phones
    Nokia N95 - Dark Plum
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Bold 9700
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    yea the old "simple" VTEC where the cam would actually change at a specific RPM was kind of a novelty but it did have a sort of "kick in" where you would definately hear a completely different engine and see the RPM's accelerate a lot faster. the new i-vtec's and etc theres no real switching point as its constant like paul has said. i was curious how VTEC worked in my parents mdx and took it upto redline in 1st and 2nd and noticed no significant changes in anything

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Nexus 4
    HTC Glacier
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.7196/1690; en; U; ssr))

Quote Originally Posted by chopsu3i
    yea the old "simple" VTEC where the cam would actually change at a specific RPM was kind of a novelty but it did have a sort of "kick in" where you would definately hear a completely different engine and see the RPM's accelerate a lot faster. the new i-vtec's and etc theres no real switching point as its constant like paul has said. i was curious how VTEC worked in my parents mdx and took it upto redline in 1st and 2nd and noticed no significant changes in anything
    Go test drive an S or a Prelude.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have a dual stage intake, and I can feel it kick in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast