Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethered connection keeps disconnecting!

Feedback Score

Tethered connection keeps disconnecting!

Hello, i have my Nokia 6103 tethered to my home pc running vista premium. Very randomly it disconnects from the internet, and i have to reconnect. This is very confusing, cause i have no idea why and how, it keeps doing this! I'm on tmobile, and am tethered using the 5.99 plan. Can anyone please help me fix this problem? I would be so grateful!

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    pass traffic and it will stay connected

Phones
    Nexus 4 w/ Plantronics M50™ BT Headset
    Nexus 4
    T-Mobile G2 - Backup
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes. I think being idol could force it to disconnect randomly. I have been tethered now for the last hour and transfered about 20mb back and forth and it has not dropped yet.
    T-Mobile Customer Since March 2005
    Individual Plus Promotional 1000 Anytime - Unlimited N/W - Preferred MyFaves FREE $39.99
    Android Unlimited Web + 400 Messages $24.99

Contract Expires 9/12

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine1975
    Hello, i have my Nokia 6103 tethered to my home pc running vista premium. Very randomly it disconnects from the internet, and i have to reconnect. This is very confusing, cause i have no idea why and how, it keeps doing this! I'm on tmobile, and am tethered using the 5.99 plan. Can anyone please help me fix this problem? I would be so grateful!
    check dial up networking options
    make sure you use "never" for idle time before disconnecting
    also, which method do you tether?

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response guys. Fire Dragan, i checked the my dialup networking settings, and "Never" is selected for idle time before disconnecting. Also i tether over bluetooth, and the connection drops constantly while using, but otherwise fine when idle."stays connected" Please! can someone help me stop all these disconnects? I appreciate all help, Thanks.

Phones
    Sprint HTC Touch
    Blackberry 8320 (ATT)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Vodafone JP
    Feedback Score
    happens randomly on my K790a too
    __________ My Current Phones ______________
    SE K790a, SE K550i, SE K750i, SE J220a, Sharp 903SH,
    Nokia 7280, Mio A701, Samsung E870, Motorola C139

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HP RX 3715 & SE Z710i: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

it depends on bt device and stack
    MDA gave me a lot of headaches
    try another phone

Feedback Score
    Fire Dragan, i just remembered that i forced Vista to accept the original XP drivers that came with my Kensington usb dongle, could that be the culprit? I mean you mentioned the "Stack" and all. The last i looked, Kensington didn't have Vista drivers yet. Anymore suggestions? As always, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Also, i only have the Nokia 6103 with Edge, and the original silver Razr without Edge. So using the slower Razr is a no go. Thanks

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the blue tooth issue is likely the driver you're using.
    Once you get that problem solved an easy way to keep your data connection alive is to ping a host indefinitely.

like;

ping -t a.root-servers.net

Run that in the background while you're connected and the connection never drops.
    it's only sending out an 8 bit packet so the overhead is not even noticeable.
    And, it has low priority so if there is congestion your TCP/IP data will win.

good luck.
    Rich
    Seattle, WA

Feedback Score
    Hi TMO -Rich, how do i ping a host indefinitely? I wanna try that before i try an hunt down the vista drivers. Is this possible?

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Fire Dragan, i just remembered that i forced Vista to accept the original XP drivers that came with my Kensington usb dongle, could that be the culprit? I mean you mentioned the "Stack" and all. The last i looked, Kensington didn't have Vista drivers yet. Anymore suggestions? As always, thanks.
    try another Broadcom driver for Vista
    check billionton.com.tw
    don't worry, ALL broadcom chip are compatible

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi TMO -Rich, how do i ping a host indefinitely? I wanna try that before i try an hunt down the vista drivers. Is this possible?

launch a cmd prompt (run/cmd) then type;
    ping -t a.root-servers.org

that will ping a root DNS server on the core of the internet (should ALWAYS be online - if it's not things are already gonna be messed up and your tethered connection will likely be working like crap)

when you're done just go back to the cmd prompt and hit ctrl-c and it will stop

Feedback Score
    Thanks TMO-Rich, i've just pinged the host as you described. I'll try it for awhile to see if it just ups and disconnects, i sure hope not. This could be a temporary fix for the mean time. But i have a couple questions for you. Will having this host pinged, mess up anything on my computer. Can i keep this host pinged 24/7 even if i turn off my pc? Or do i have to go through the procedure everytime i want to use it?

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks TMO-Rich, i've just pinged the host as you described. I'll try it for awhile to see if it just ups and disconnects, i sure hope not. This could be a temporary fix for the mean time. But i have a couple questions for you. Will having this host pinged, mess up anything on my computer. Can i keep this host pinged 24/7 even if i turn off my pc? Or do i have to go through the procedure everytime i want to use it?
    It wont hurt a thing and actually accounts for a VERY small amount of traffic being passed back and forth.

When I connect via tethering I just open a command prompt, start the ping, do what I needed to do then stop the ping.

I, however, rarely have to tether since there is wireless practically everywhere these days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast