Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sanyo SCP-7050 impressions

Device(s)
    Sanyo 5600
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Sanyo SCP-7050 impressions

My Mogul is in backorder purgatory, but at least my other new phone arrived - a Sanyo SCP-7050. This is Sanyo's relatively new "rugged" clamshell phone. I've seen very little information on this phone and will share some initial impressions.

First and foremost, it's a typical Sanyo. Coming from the Sanyo MM5600, this phone seems to have every bit the reception quality (honestly, it could well be a lot better) and the speakerphone and earpiece are nice and loud. The buttons have great tactile response, and though a tad smaller, the 320x240 screen in this phone actually seems somewhat brighter than my 5600, which is saying something. It's certainly more vibrant in displaying colors, and with much better contrast too.

The phone is built well. It's rubberized all over, but it isn't waterproof. I'd call it a step up from something like the 5600 (which was amazingly tough) but not quite in the same league as some of my old Nextels I used to have.

Featurewise, it's a no frills phone. The browser is very fast, it's full of countdowns, timers, alarms, calendars and schedules, bluetooth 2.0 that works exceptionally well, ridiculously loud ringers, etc. But there's no camera, no MP3 or media player, etc. It does seem to run J2ME apps faster than my 5600 for sure, though.

The phone is not one of the new amazingly thin varieties, but it's light. The external screen is very high contrast black and white, which actually was a lot more readable outdoors than any external screen I've used before.

It's very expensive, a $299 phone. Even with the $150 rebate and the $50 instant rebate, it comes to the same price as the SCP-8400 which is just loaded with features and maybe is only slightly less durable. However I suspect that the SCP-7050's small but growing reputation for battery life will prove to be well-earned and provides a differentiator. This does feel like the best mobile *phone* I've ever used, which includes a quite a few going back to big Qualcomm handsets in the mid-90s. It's just not a great mobile gadget, though it does have a better screen than any rugged Nextel I ever used.

Overall I'm pleased. It would have been much nicer if it had say 512MB of flash memory and the media player from the other Sanyo phones in it...

Device(s)
    Duramax
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Talking

I'm glad to hear that it seems to be a solid phone . I just transfered one line over from nextel and I am waiting for delivery of that sanyo . Sound like I may be over my nextel bad reception headache .

Feedback Score
    How has the GPS performed? How long to get a fix from a cold start, how sensitive is it/ can it be used indoors?

Feedback Score
    Not only is it "rugged", it's the first CDMA phone to meet Mil Spec 810.

This phone is unlike the 7300, 7400, and 7500 which just had "rugged" features with a rubberized outer shell. The 7050 can really stand up to wear.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What I hate is this thing didn't come with EVDO. I don't care about a camera, don't care about DC at this point, but if you aren't going to include a media player or some sort of decent storage for music what is the point?

I have a RAZR and I don't use it for music storage. I do however listen to the radio stations on Sprint TV and they work GREAT! Especially the 80's station and pop hits. But without high speed, it limits me greatly on streaming.

When they have a ruggedized mil spec 7150 with evdo I am so down!

Device(s)
    Duramax
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've been using this phone for a couple of days now with sprint navigator and the gps works great . It will pull up your location indoors or under trees . I have yet to drop out of service also .

Device(s)
    HTC Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Sprintpcs
    Feedback Score
    I wish I mean I just wish that sanyo or sprint had put more into this phone and it would have been an even bigger seller. Just imagine if this phone had a micro sd slot, camera, multimedia and mp3...I would for sure have purchased this phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rrigters
    I wish I mean I just wish that sanyo or sprint had put more into this phone and it would have been an even bigger seller. Just imagine if this phone had a micro sd slot, camera, multimedia and mp3...I would for sure have purchased this phone.
    Essentially your asking for a better version of the Sanyo 7500, with Mil Spec. I loved that phone!

Sanyo is coming out with some new phones soon, new versions of the Katana, and although they aren't Mil spec, they are a nice switch from the standard Sanyo design...

Anyway, back to the Sanyo 7050... This phone was built to meet the needs of those who need a Nextel type phone, without all the thrills.

No camera can be good, as some people aren't allowed to have cameras where they work, rugged mil spec is awesome for the contruction type customers, and the inclusion of bluetooth is now standard, and telenav rocks.

All around great buy.

Device(s)
    Sanyo 5600
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've been using this phone very frequently for a while now and have formed stronger opinions of it.

In a nutshell, it's the best mobile phone I've ever had. Hands down, bar none.

The reception and call quality is simply out of this world. It's actually a leap beyond phones like my old Sanyo 49xxs. In places where other phones struggle (I'm talking about things like long tunnels underneath very wide concrete overpasses) it maintains perfect signal. People say I sound great, loud and clear, and I certainly hear them very clearly either with the the loud earpiece speaker or the loud speakerphone. The keyboard is excellent for dialing. The external screen is perfectly readable in the brightest sunlight (at a level much beyond the typical Sanyo M1/Samsung A9xx/etc phones with their fancy color external displays) and the internal screen is just terrific for a phone like this... bright, sharp and colorful.

Battery life is exceptional. One full charge must have gotten me at least 8 hours of actual talk time. It's the right kind of battery capacity: the kind where you forget when was the last time you charged it.

The interface also is perfect. Menus, etc. are fast to navigate through and very well organized. Everything is intuitive, and everything works reliably. No bugs.

The GPS is great. Telenav is fast, works great on the QVGA screen and pinpoints my location in real-time with all the precision I would ask for. Zero complaints whatsoever.

Build quality is GREAT. It inspires a huge amount of confidence... there's a sense of solidity to this phone that I don't think I even got from some of my more durable old Nextels. No rattles, nothing loose, everything tight and firm. It feels incredibly well built, without a doubt a leap beyond the other clamshell phones available from sprint (sanyo or otherwise).

Bluetooth works GREAT. Easy fast pairing with several devices, doesn't seen to burn down battery life when I leave it on, excellent reception with several headsets. (Unlike my Mogul, people on the other end can actually hear me.)

I'm not missing the media player thing all that much, but a camera and media player could have been a nice-to-have given the fantastic screen on this phone that's every bit the equal of other QVGA media-savvy phones. That's about the worst I can say. In every other respect, this phone performs incredibly well.

Well one niggling complaint, the included holster clip I don't like so much. It's hard to remove the phone from it when it's ringing, it's as though it holds the phone *too* securely in place. Maybe it just needs some wear / break-in to loosen up a bit. The clip btw doesn't seem to scratch or etch the phone at all.

I can't recommend this highly enough to someone who is looking for a superb phone for voice calls, above all else.
    Last edited by swiego; 06-28-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is what I needed to read. I bought my 8400 a few months ago and I can't say I'm happy with it. I bought it after returning the M1. My best phone to date was probably the 4900. The only feature I wish the 7030 had is a camera.

Unfortunately, I'm not paying full price for a 7030 since I used my rebate on the 8400. I may just add an extra line to get it and use it for work.
    Sony on GTE-->SCP-4000-->SCP-4900-->MM5600-->M1-->SCP-8400-->HTC Hero-->Samsung Moment-->HTC Hero-->iPhone 4

Sorry Sprint. You were great for 11 years. Unfortunately, my Android sucked. Get the iPhone and I'll go back.

Device(s)
    Sanyo 5600
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There is a 1.004SP update that must have been made available quite recently. I did the over-the-air update and it went smoothly. It claimed some bluetooth, UI and other improvements and changes, I should have made note of the on-screen message before doing the update.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    "Software update for the Sanyo SCP-7050 version 1.002SP to 1.004SP. This release provides enhancements to the User Interface, Speaker, and Bluetooth applications."

This really is one great phone.

Feedback Score
    Just got the phone, its awesome. Has anyone used it with Mologogo.com or any other free GPS tracker service yet? I'm hoping I can set that up.

p.s. > know any fun hacks/key codes on the phone yet?
    Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

PC Sync capability?

I just got upgraded by my employer to one of these. I had a MobilAction app that would sync my old SCP-7300 to Outlook calendar and contacts, but it won't work with this new phone, and I can't seem to find an app that will.

Anybody have a recommendation?

Device(s)
    i570
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score

i got this phone two days ago to replace my kantana 2.this 7050 is a great phone i give it a 10 on a scale on 1-10.(katana 2 was great ,just to small for my big hands)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast