Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 95

Thread: Why companies chose/choose CDMA over GSM

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3120
    Carrier(s)
    TMo2Go
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08
    I'm pretty sure you just mentioned "the use of CDMA in Japan" and not "all the networks used in Japan". Oh, and the difference is that the Rx/Tx frequencies are reversed for au/kddi's network, something that generally keeps them from working on other non-Japanese CDMA networks. Also, they use a non-standard ESN system (5 letters followed by 6 numbers) which standard CDMA does not use.
    Actually I am aware of these differences, I just don't understand how do the frequency difference and ESN difference make, in your own words, "it far better than the US". "it can't really be compared".

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,323
    Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by photonth
    Actually I am aware of these differences, I just don't understand how do the frequency difference and ESN difference make, in your own words, "it far better than the US". "it can't really be compared".
    I agree with you, the differences are completely artificial --- in order to justify their bashing of VZW on the one hand and then completely embraced cell phones (like the Japanese cell phones or the Apple iPhone) which are even more locked down and crippled.

    A crippled phone is a crippled phone, doesn't matter who crippled it.

    If you love a crippled Japanese phone, then you lose the right to bash a LESS crippled VZW phone. If you love a crippled iPhone, then you lose the right to bash a LESS crippled VZW phone.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,305
    Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by photonth
    Actually I am aware of these differences, I just don't understand how do the frequency difference and ESN difference make, in your own words, "it far better than the US". "it can't really be compared".
    It doesn't make it far better than the US. I don't remember saying that, and if I did, it must have been in a fit of senselessness where I should have stayed silent. It makes things worse because frankly when most of the world has decided on using numbers/hex Japan should have gone with them too. I should have said "Their phone and service selection is far better than in the US".

    Verizon is bashed because they have a crap selection of old-ish phones (and they bastardized the Chocolate too). At the very least au/Softbank/DoCoMo have phones that satisfy their customers' needs. I won't lie- it's mostly the phone selection for me. I wouldn't mind being locked to au with the W42CA available (whereas Verizon got the stripped-down version known as the Gz'One Type S- with something like that of course I'd want an outside upgrade path). For me it's about getting the cool phones.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    321
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugwart
    There are a few phones which do both KDDI Au's version and everyone else's version of CDMA. KDDI sells several such phones. SKT has several which will switch to JCDMA (SCH V920 is one of these and there about half a dozen others.)

    I had heard from a manager at QCOM that KDDI was going to switch to the standard RX/TX frequencies. So far, there is no evidence of this.

    According to Helio's website the Ocean, Drift and Heat will roam in Japan. SKT owns 50% of Helio.

    http://kb.helio.cust-serv.com/HelioK...lecttype=match
    Last edited by TomasuT; 08-06-2007 at 04:17 AM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,305
    Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm pretty sure SKT is Korean, not Japanese, so it wouldn't be because of that. So for some reason Helio thought that it would be smart to include J-CDMA in their newer phones... But I thought that au/KDDI's EVDO network runs at 2100MHz?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    321
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08
    I'm pretty sure SKT is Korean, not Japanese, so it wouldn't be because of that. So for some reason Helio thought that it would be smart to include J-CDMA in their newer phones... But I thought that au/KDDI's EVDO network runs at 2100MHz?

    I know SKT is Korean. The post I was replying to mentioned that SKT sells several phones that have Japanese CDMA mode built in for raoming purposes. There is also a roaming agreement between SKT and au.
    Last edited by TomasuT; 08-06-2007 at 04:58 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,323
    Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by yangj08
    Verizon is bashed because they have a crap selection of old-ish phones (and they bastardized the Chocolate too). At the very least au/Softbank/DoCoMo have phones that satisfy their customers' needs. I won't lie- it's mostly the phone selection for me. I wouldn't mind being locked to au with the W42CA available (whereas Verizon got the stripped-down version known as the Gz'One Type S- with something like that of course I'd want an outside upgrade path). For me it's about getting the cool phones.
    Verizon Wireless has record net adds every quarter --- basically killing all their competitors. That's called satisfying their customers' needs.

    If you want to be a gadget geek fanboy, then be a gadget geek fanboy --- but don't try to justify your fanboyism on how Verizon Wireless doesn't satisfy their customers needs.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    737
    Device(s)
    iphone 3Gs, 3G, Original
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile's even more plus plan
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott
    I think certain carriers chose CDMA because:

    A) You likely can't use any phone, you have to buy it through them.
    B) Once you do buy the phone, you can only use their network with that phone.
    C) It increases hassle and more "cost of exit barriers," thus worsening the problem of vendor lock-in. See item B. This is especially true in the case of costly phones, such as Treos.
    D) It's very difficult to "unlock" a CDMA phone, and just as hard to let it use another CDMA provider (requires the cooperation of the other provider). See item C.
    E) They don't have to use the CDMA equivalent of the SIM card, called the RUIM. This limits consumer choice. See all previous items.

    I think it's all about control, especially since wireless, by it's very nature, cannot be a monopoly.

    At least landlines and other utilities are heavily regulated. Imagine if the power company could charge whatever.


    Everyone should use GSM because:

    A) It's what the rest of the world uses. It's useful if for whatever reason you need to visit other countries.
    B) GSM phones use SIM cards, thus segregating the network from the phone.
    C) You can use whatever GSM phone with whatever GSM network, provided the phone supports the frequencies. Quad-band phones aren't costly, so there's no reason not to get one. This is especially important if you want to use a phone that isn't easily available where you live, but is easily available in another country. See item B.
    D) While GSM phones sold through carriers are generally locked to specific SIM cards, it's easy to unlock them.


    I think most people who sign up for CDMA service just don't know any better. I was one of them once.

    Amen to that Brother!

    CDMA = Greed from the U.S. Carriers to keep you locked to them with contracts and airtime control and total lockdown of features.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,305
    Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by samab
    Verizon Wireless has record net adds every quarter --- basically killing all their competitors. That's called satisfying their customers' needs.

    If you want to be a gadget geek fanboy, then be a gadget geek fanboy --- but don't try to justify your fanboyism on how Verizon Wireless doesn't satisfy their customers needs.
    Of course they satisfy their customers' needs (that was badly worded)- some places they're the only real choice if you don't want crap coverage. I should have said "satisfy their customer wants" (don't hear about that very often because when customer needs are satisfied they don't complan too much about their wants, especially if the carrier they're on is the only one with decent coverage in their home area)- they're getting there (the V8 is headed in the right direction, as are many of their new phones).

    I don't see why I'd have to justify my fanboyism- after all I'm not making anyone else pay for my gadget habit. I can see why you say I sound like it, though.


    And about embracing au/KDDI while disparaging Verizon for their phone-crippling; it's like the difference between being a rich old woman's lapdog and being a family pet. In both cases you're pretty restricted, but at least life is better as a lapdog (au/KDDI) than as a family pet(Verizon). If you're going to be locked down at least make sure you have a good time. Mostly because KDDI's phone selection also pays attention to aesthetics with a wide range of looks- Verizon doesn't have that.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,928
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I want phones that aren't cripped and locked down with the same crappy UI on every single one of them, i also want the capability to easily swap out of a nice phone, to a lesser/smaller one when needed. I also want to download and install certain java apps and use them, like google maps, jIRC, opera mini.

    As a wireless user/customer, verizon doesn't satisfy my needs.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,323
    Device(s)
    Samsung A540
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Japanese people (and AT&T Wireless customers who bought the iphone) are just paying extra money so that they have a nicer golden cage.

    They are just paying extra for a better prison cell.

    As for your lapdog analogy, totally inappropriate. That's like the lapdog has to pay extra money to be adopted by Paris Hilton --- who may pamper the dog with expensive pet food and weird dog clothing, and pay servants to walk the dog. Maybe Tinkerbell hated that life and ran away.

    If I am a dog, I rather be adopted as a family pet by a loving normal family with kids living in the suburbs.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    365
    Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    WIND GR
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why does anybody have to be locked in a cage or be a dog anyway?

    Go for GSM freedom! (and yes the iPhone is the exact opposite to GSM freedom with its locks!)

    Of course in the US where wireless coverage is generally bad compared to the rest of the world standards, if VZW coverage matters most to some users, they might choose to lock themselves in the cage in order to at least get decent coverage!

    I was in Turkey last week and I could get 5 bars of signal from all three national carriers even in the remote villages and abandoned valleys of Cappadocia!
    In varietate concordia

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    560
    Device(s)
    HP Pre 3
    Carrier(s)
    O2 Deutschland
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gmmour
    Go for GSM freedom! (and yes the iPhone is the exact opposite to GSM freedom with its locks!)
    Mi se dw na kykloforeis me kanena i-phone omos...

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NE IN
    Posts
    10,928
    Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (Moto RAZR V3XX: MOT-RAZRV3xx/96.71.95R BER2.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; 11063081) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Opera 8.00 [en] UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

    yes i hate the iphone for the sole reason of how locked down it is. it a step in the wrong direction. also smaller countries should be easier to cover since their land area is so much smaller.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:


    http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    737
    Device(s)
    iphone 3Gs, 3G, Original
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile's even more plus plan
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii
    I want phones that aren't cripped and locked down with the same crappy UI on every single one of them, i also want the capability to easily swap out of a nice phone, to a lesser/smaller one when needed. I also want to download and install certain java apps and use them, like google maps, jIRC, opera mini.

    As a wireless user/customer, verizon doesn't satisfy my needs.
    Great points

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks