Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Phone
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

First impressions? Disappointing...

Here's the short list:

1. Bluetooth is ONLY good for connecting a headset. That's it.
    2. There is no file browser on the device at all. Data must be organized (if at all) in the appropriate application.
    3. The camera is a simple application that has ONE button: the shutter. Pictures come out okay on the device, but nothing too fancy on a monitor, especially if it was an attempt at a macro shot.
    4. SIM card is damn near impossible to open, if at all. I didn't look into it extensively.
    5. Web browser is slow, even over WLAN. Even the simple OneList web app that was created takes around 20 seconds to load over WLAN. You can not highlight, cut, copy, or paste and text from a website, and you can not save any images you find from a website either. The only nice thing about it is the tabbed browsing, which crashed on me when I went to Engadget and YouTube on two tabs. This is the only application that allows you to use the keyboard in landscape mode.
    6. The keyboard sucks. It gets slightly better after the iPhone "learns" you, as the employees said, but even then, it's not a device you can use with one hand comfortably, much less without looking.
    7. You can only send one picture at a time in an email.
    8. No custom ringtones (yet, as we were being told) and the alert tones can not be changed whatsoever.
    9. The default ringtones are incredibly lame.
    10. The only form of customization outside of a lame default ringtone is the wallpaper, which you'll only see when you need to unlock the device or when you get a phone call.
    11. "Picture pinching" or using two fingers to zoom on any content is certainly fun to play with, but not practical whatsoever. This operation depends solely on using the device with two hands.
    12. No document editor or native viewer. You can not store documents on the device to be viewed, they can only be viewed as attachments when they're sent to your in an email.
    13. Visual voicemail is laggy and reacts about the same way as pushing the fast forward and rewind buttons on traditional voicemail systems. The only advantage is for those that get that many voicemail messages a day that they need to sort them according to priority.
    14. NO games. None.
    15. No voice dialing.
    16. No speed dialing (which can be made up by the "quick list", but getting to that quick list isn't as fast as holding a single key on a real keypad).
    17. No video.
    18. No MMS.
    19. It's still <4GB for $500 and <8GB for $600
    20. It only takes around 2 hours to explore every menu without any options for expandability except to scrounge around for new web apps that will load slowly and nowhere near as smoothly as the native apps.

This device looks like it was aimed at the general consumer who has the money to spend on such a flashy device, but it leaves so many basic features behind that it's almost impossible to consider it a success as a mainstream device. It encourages the advanced user to move away from MMS and into email to send images, but leaves out any advanced features advanced users would be accustomed to, and still retains a huge price tag on top of it.

It's certainly pretty and Americans will buy it because of that simple UI, but anyone who's familiar with other operating systems would be appalled. This phone needs to be unlocked and cracked WIDE open to make much better use of the multi-touch system. That, or it needs an immediate update in iTunes to rework every feature.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does it support a2dp? I can't remember.
    I love all my phones but what happens when they get too old to be 'cool' anymore?
    Does my desk drawer become the retirement home?

Phone
    3gs...Speed Demon
    Carrier
    Cingular now the new ATT
    Feedback Score
    dam that sucks..never knew it had sooo many faults.

Soo i cant send a picture from my phone to a Iphone thru BT?

Feedback Score
    Agree 100%. Apple, as they always do, will probably learn from their mistakes with this 1st gen iPhone and make a much better 2nd and 3rd generation one.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pachi
    dam that sucks..never knew it had sooo many faults.

Soo i cant send a picture from my phone to a Iphone thru BT?
    Nope. And while that upsets me and other people here, most everyone else never expected it to do that. BT is being and has been crippled on all locked phones for years now as a way to ensure you pay them for any file you want and need. It's probably another reason they didn't put a removeable memory option in the phone. That way you didn't have a way around the bt issue.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iphone sucks
    Agree 100%. Apple, as they always do, will probably learn from their mistakes with this 1st gen iPhone and make a much better 2nd and 3rd generation one.
    I still think they would remove the bt profile so you can't share music/video that they'd make money off of through itunes.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    What a surprise You spent days trolling the device, now you're just regurgitating all of your previous points only now you're prefacing them with, "I played with it." Nothing wrong with point out faults, but your agenda is far too apparent.

Phone
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Wow! There isn't a single good thing about the iPhone in your list. I think I am going to return mine.

Dude do you seriously have this much free time that you can put together a list? Someone needs a hobby.

Phone
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of which my crappy iPhone is such a POS that I've been using it to send emails to my wife who is visiting family. I must be a mutant because I can two finger type fairly well on the crappy keyboard.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 18; 06-30-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Phone
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have both, and I still have my $600.

Look, if it really was something impressive, I would've had no problems writing about it, but it truly was nothing but disappointing based on what I'm familiar with. Where are the users that have used Windows Mobile, Palm, Blackberry, and Symbian saying the iPhone is awesome? You won't find them, because it's completely inferior to the real smartphone world.

If you really want to drill some positive aspects out of me, I'll admit the screen was bright and pleasant to look at, the multi-touch was "fun" though not very productive, and it was responsive for the simple tasks it needed to perform.

If you want me to compare it to a W810i or a V3xx to make it look like it's gold, I can, but even those devices have several very useful features the iPhone doesn't.

Feedback Score
    You are right. I didn't even notice that it doesn't have speed dial until you mentioned it. That really sucks the big one. I don't even recall the last phone I had that weighs less than a pound which doesn't have this basic feature. I now really reget getting this phone. I am returning it first thing tomorrow. (I think I have to pay a re-stocking fee?) Hope I can cancel the AT&T plan that I have just signed up. What a waste of time and money.

Phone
    BlackBerry 9630
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Thanks

I personally appreciate an honest review of the phone. Thanks for your thoughts....the iPhone has a ways to go before I would even consider getting one.

Phone
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver
    You are right. I didn't even notice that it doesn't have speed dial until you mentioned it. That really sucks the big one. I don't even recall the last phone I had that weighs less than a pound which doesn't have this basic feature. I now really reget getting this phone. I am returning it first thing tomorrow. (I think I have to pay a re-stocking fee?) Hope I can cancel the AT&T plan that I have just signed up. What a waste of time and money.

So why do you need speed dial? Just use the favorites list. That way you don't have to remember what # is attached to which key. You can then sort the favorites and change then over time if some numbers have priority over others.

Phone
    BLACKBERRY 8330
    Carrier
    V
    Feedback Score
    bluetooth only for headset? so can't use it in car system?

how hard was it for you to dial a new number?

how about the battery life?
    my work!

BLACKBERRY 8330

Phone
    Retired: iPhone 3G White, iPhone 2G, Nokia N81, N75, E61i, Sharp 903SH @ UK FW, SE K800i
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBruha
    I have both, and I still have my $600.

Look, if it really was something impressive, I would've had no problems writing about it, but it truly was nothing but disappointing based on what I'm familiar with. Where are the users that have used Windows Mobile, Palm, Blackberry, and Symbian saying the iPhone is awesome? You won't find them, because it's completely inferior to the real smartphone world.

If you really want to drill some positive aspects out of me, I'll admit the screen was bright and pleasant to look at, the multi-touch was "fun" though not very productive, and it was responsive for the simple tasks it needed to perform.

If you want me to compare it to a W810i or a V3xx to make it look like it's gold, I can, but even those devices have several very useful features the iPhone doesn't.
    I do agree with you in that people who has used other smartphones (Symbian or other smartphones) won't be too intrigued by iPhone but remember this is not Europe/Asia where people love phones so much and the phones have many fancy features and whatnot.
    Heck i still saw people with monochrome phones or basic color phones in here lolol... for those people, iPhone is revolutionary.
    I love apple... I use iPod, MBP, iMac, heck my friggin' mouse is Mighty Mouse :P but this time apple couldn't get me... I am buying Nokia E61i ... however i want to spin it, iPhone just doesn't have the price/performance that I want from a smartphone

Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast