Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Feedback Score

Talking Everyone Who's Disappointed, I Have Good News!

I met with my buddy from Apple for Coffee today, I told him I loved the interface, and all the great subtle little features it has that makes it so easy to use. I then told him I really, wanted a File System Access so I could store files, download images from the web, and generally carry around data, not just load it up from iTunes..

He said Apple IS absolutely BUILDING this, and it will come in a software update no later than when Leopard ships in two months (there will be updates before this)

Here is what he said:

• There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files
    • There will be a disk mode
    • The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.
    • There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations
    • So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is
    • Full spotlight like search is coming too
    • Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari
    • Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)
    • Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.
    • Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.
    • When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.
    • Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.
    • Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.
    • These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.
    • Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.
    • He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.
    • Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.
    • Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.
    • The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)
    • Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.
    • Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!
    • Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.

I probably missed a few things, so if you have questions about features that will be software updated, ask because I only typed what I could remember right now, and we talked about quite a bit of stuff!!!!

Phone
    iPhone5 | iPhone4 | Nexus S
    Carrier
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is this Apple's way of saying the June release date was premature?

Phone
    iPhone 4[S]
    Carrier
    Cingular(#1) Verizon(crap) Tmobile(#2)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kupe
    Is this Apple's way of saying the June release date was premature?

Even in it's current state it is an exremely advanced device. I love moto Q, it was my favorite smartphone to date. But iPhone blows it out of the water, no question.

Phone
    Treo 700wx
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    How does it blow it out of the water? It's a media player for gods sake...

Apple and Oranges comparison there.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S (16GB)
    Moto Droid
    Carriers
    AT&T (Boo)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeL
    Even in it's current state it is an exremely advanced device. I love moto Q, it was my favorite smartphone to date. But iPhone blows it out of the water, no question.
    Amen bro....I love Windows Mobile too....I chose it over Blackberry at work....but the iPhone breathes a ton of fresh air into the mobile industry. Like it or hate it...we all benefit from it's offerings.

Arc

Phone
    iPhone 4[S]
    Carrier
    Cingular(#1) Verizon(crap) Tmobile(#2)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAbacurus
    How does it blow it out of the water? It's a media player for gods sake...

Apple and Oranges comparison there.
    They are actualy very comprable.
    And an iPod is a media player, iPhone is so much more.

Feedback Score
    I have a motorola Q as well, but my iPhone blows it outta the water. The post about "it's just a Media Player" is just flaming, please, at least POST WHY you think so, don't just post the "i hate it blah" threads, because it just means you didn't read the iPhone forum rules

Why I like my iPhone over my Motorola Q: (Yes I own both, and several other phones)

iPhone Battery Life, Hands down winner, even if I leaving it running video straight, it LAST LONGER than My Motorola Q on Full Charge (yes it's a new battery 'i have 2') when it's set to check email every 5 minutes.

iPhone's email client is sooo much better, granted it doesn't let you save attachments right now, but I don't do that on the Q anyway. It's so much better threaded on the iPhone, easier to view, MUCH FASTER, and has better exchange support.

iPhones' phone features are superior to my Q in every way, Using a bluetooth headset is finally worth it, no 10 menus to go through , profiles to switch from, and such. Bluetooth just works, and rather than changing the volume for the headset by pushing buttons on my ear I see the three devices listed while making the call, and if "Jawbone" is selected I get to visually see a very clear volume change on the screen. Also in the middle of the call, I can just click back and forth between headset, speakerphone, or iPhone to ear, without drilling down any menus. No strange profile crap.

iPhone vs. Motorola Q in Using it while on the phone. The Q is horrible if you are on the phone and want to get a contact or view something on the screen. The iPhone on the other hand, turns back on the screen when I move it away from my ear. I can go to the homescreen, run any application while still on the phone and see at the top of the screen I'm on the phone, so there is no worries about "will this app cause my phone to disconnect the call?" and i don't have to drill back up menus to get to the main call screen.

iPhone vs. Q in Contacts. iPhone contacts is based around real Vcard support, unlike my Q which hacks it all up, stores it's speeddial numbers in vcard comments, and doesn't support custom fields. the iPhone on the other hand supports FULL vCard spec. That means if you use a great app like addressbook (on mac) or on the iPhone you can add custom fields for each entry. And as many as you want, and do it easily, and have it save it properly in real vcard format. This means standards that can be shared around the net, uploaded to addressbook services, and shared with outlook.

iPhone vs. Motorola Q in Power Phone talker test:
    iPhone hands down, much, much better talk time, HUGE easy to use buttons for speakerphone on each call (i don't have to click a button and try to navigate that stupid little menu like the Q has). So the iPhone has the HUGE buttons for MUTE, HOLD, and switch between audio source. And right from that menu I can dial up another person, and right on the screen you see the two calls and see that one person is on HOLD on right next to their name (this is all while you are on the call) it shows active, so there won't ever been any of those ANNOYING accidents when you do three way calls, and aren't sure which person you switched over to. and you can switch back to the other person by clicking switch, or clicking on one of the persons name. But even BETTER even better you can conference with 5 people this way, seeing them all on the screen like this, switching, merging, and all the time you are doing this, you can click the home button and go back to all your apps, and use the other features just like a MODERN multi-tasking OS. It's the first time I am absolutely confident when making business calls now, because I know when I hit the giant MUTE button it's on (you can't miss how clear the UI is), not to mention in the middle of the call, clicking the arrow next to the person(s) on the conference call or normal call brings up there contact card, or lets you add it right to another contact or add a new one instantly. And since contacts are vCard format that means everything from pictures to birthdays, to notes you want to put in about people or custom fields can go in there. Hands down the iPhone wins in telephone use.

Internet Support: iPhone vs. Q
    No the iPhone doesn't have dedicated AIM right now (AND yes it is coming, the Q didn't either in the beginning)

But the iPhone has a browser that actually is useful, and doesn't feel like a giant text message, like the motorola Q. Not to mention it actually loads sites that I might want to visit. Also it's FAST, very fast, this is the kinda apps I need for business. I don't even try to use the browser on the Q, because by the time I type in the URL of even say a site to look up movie theaters in by zip code and load it on the EV-DO Q, I could have loaded up 4 pages on the iPhone using ONLY EDGE, because the Q has a horrible browser (compared to most mobile phones it's not bad, but compared ot the iPhone it's horrible). Try doing AJAX on my Motorola Q. Yeah exactly, we can all stop laughing now. And finally the most important reason the iPhone wins in this department, IT HAS FREAKING WIFI.

Exchange Calendaring & Email:
    I don't know if you've seen apple's exchange support, but it's awesome on the iPhone, unlike my Q, which if you leave it of for a day then turn it back on, my screen will be nearly locked up for 10 minutes while stupid exchange (on Q) tries to pop up all the meeting reminders I wasn't around to dismiss, which means about 5 minutes later I can finally use the phone.

Speed: iPhone vs. Q
    The iPhone is 400mhz and doesn't lag, even the faster PDAs I've used lag. Windows mobile 5 is crazy slow. Seriously, my Motorola Q actually has to "boot up". My iPhone even with full OS X, is just on when I push the on button (and yes that it from being 100% off). The iPhone is really fast, it's not slow, I don't watch menus redraw like I do on my Q, the interface makes sense.

The UI is so good I don't have to think about anything, I just use the phone to get work done. I mean on my Q adjusting the volumes for the 20 different PROFILES it has is annoying, and it doesn't even have one WELL done profile, and WM has a horrible interface.

I purposely kept my Q (and I will for a week or two more until I'm sure iPhone is safe to use) but if you are a business person this is why you WANT/NEED the iPhone:

*Hella fast

*Email is absolutely Fantastic, it's better than crackberry that I've been addicted to for my second (office pays for)

*Calendaring, awesome for everyone, regardless of if you use exchange or not

*Exchange support is fantastic, it works better/sexier and with a MUCH faster UI for all your calendaring, and exchange email server than any windows mobile device I've sen

*A real web browser, unlike my Q

*Can you say WIFI?

*Video / iPod / Pictures, great for carrying around a mobile pitch or presentation, or work related images

*Talker features, if you talk alot you will love the extra battery life, and fantastic conference call, and onscreen easy buttons for merging, switching calls. Oh and a little thing called visual voicemail.

THIS IS why it's a business phone, and this is only a two day old device, you have to remember apple will be posting all kinds of new apps, and good stuff, audio recorder, video recording, screen reading, file browser, word processors, spreadsheet, keynote (like powerpoint) app onto this thing very soon. BUT even without any of this stuff, I'm already not using my Q any more, it feels sooooooo slow and email feels likehell on the Q now.

Oh and having full real vCard means real addressbook contacts, and not having to scroll in that horrible slow clicking way, and custom fields. And clicking a contacts address will show it on google maps, and then you can click show directions, and email them or follow.

Even if this thing did nothing but email, and dialed phone numbers it's worth it.

Realize that apple is going to update the software will all kinda goodies before october when leopard comes out.

Feedback Score
    10 Minutes and I'll post Videos!

Oh I'll make a video to show you what I mean about the bluetooth thing in a few minutes if you guys are staying up late. I'm not trying to be mean I hope nobody takes it like this, I'm just typing really fast, up on caffeine. I love all mobile phones, and have 5 of different kinds, I'm just digging the iPhone as now using it as my main email/making calls phone now.

Feedback Score
    oh and my #1 favorite feature is when using the iPhone stereo headphones w/mic, it plays back the phone call in BOTH ears, which even though of course it's MONO makes A HUGE difference in being able to hear what people are saying. I used to ring up my land line in college to use with my old walkman headphones, and man oh man playing back audio that has frequency ranges missing (the range that phone companies pass through all lines) is night and day difference in being able to catch all the words of a conversation. Really draws you into the conversation.

I don't think this is unique to the iPhone, i believe some LG phones play back in both ears for calls too. But either way no matter what phone you have if you haven't tried a phone call this way you are missing out!

Phone
    i4
    Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the good news inkhead

did activesync (or even an apple based solution) come up in the convo?

exchange is awesome to have - but activesync really does the whole email/contacts/calendar thing extremely well. and unfortunately it's the only variant that my IT people enable/support.

and now that I see your reference to bt: did your friend have any info regarding a2dp?

Feedback Score
    a2dp is just bluetooth stereo headphones right? Did you test it our already? Because if that's what it is I have some here, did you want me to try it?

If a2dp is what I think it is, how com you want it? I guess I don't understand why you would want to listen to 16kps audio, because bluetooth 2.0 (without +EDR, which only a few headsets support) compress all audio to 16kps

Phones
    16GB iPhone 4
    16GB iPhone 4 4.3.3
    8GB iPhone 3.1.3 (JB)
    Carriers
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    C'mon, honestly...

When you saw the title of the thread, how many of you were thinking that the OP was going to write...

"I just saved a bunch of money by switching to GEICO!"

But this is rather good news if it proves to be true. Good work, inkhead!
    Go beyond yourself. Go BeyondtheTech.

Phones
    Retired: iPhone 3G White, iPhone 2G, Nokia N81, N75, E61i, Sharp 903SH @ UK FW, SE K800i
    Currently Using: Nexus One
    Thinking of getting: -------
    Carrier
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Feedback Score
    good for Apple... if they really deliver by then, I will put my money on iPhone
    For now, however, it is premature product (a.k.a BETA Product) and there's no way i will drop my money on a Beta product :P

Phone
    i4
    Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inkhead
    a2dp is just bluetooth stereo headphones right? Did you test it our already? Because if that's what it is I have some here, did you want me to try it?

If a2dp is what I think it is, how com you want it? I guess I don't understand why you would want to listen to 16kps audio, because bluetooth 2.0 (without +EDR, which only a few headsets support) compress all audio to 16kps
    it is.
    yep, doesn't work currently (motorola 820s)

regarding fidelity, I've owned shures for years - (wired of course) and I can tell you that the sound coming from my motorola s9s comes very close to matching those canal phones. so whether the compression occurs or not, those nerdy engineers did something right because the sound is pretty good.

now - as far as a feature to want. if you have a set I bet you can tell that the sound quality is much better than what bt sounds when having a conversation. IMHO, once you experience stereo sound without wires I bet you will want to have it (at least as an option) on all your devices.

I guess from a power consumption perspective, enabling a2dp would not be the best thing but dammit if it aint cool.

Feedback Score
    Shure earbuds are great, i can't find my freaking pair right now, looks frantically in my backpack. I wanted to try them with the iPhone. I've been hearing that some normal 1/8 stereo jacks aren't fitting in quite tight enough to the iPhone's audio out jack. I used AUX input into my car from the iPhone, but did notice it was a nice hard click like iPods. However the belkin cable i use in my fj cruiser aux input does have sort of a shorter 1/8 stereo.

The best way to do stereo sound without wires is the logitech RF wireless headphones. Freaking great quality. Small piece plugs into 1/8 stereo jack, headphones go on head. I used it with my iPod all the time!!! and it was soo much better than bluetooth headphones I have. Not having wires is awesome, you don't even realize how much of a pain they are until you go without them.

Anyway let me try my bluetooth headset now. Okay they are Jabra bt620s headphones, I assume they are bluetooth 2.0. Let me test them now.

BTW, the jawbone is the best bluetooth headset I've ever used, I literally bought 20 different ones over the last 6 months because i was so annoyed with the quality, fuzz, and how they worked, before I figured out it was just bluetooth tech.

however the really, really cool bluetooth earpiece (not out yet) is going to be the Apple bluetooth earpiece, because not only is it Bluetooth 2.0 (technically it's called 2.1) but it has AND USES +EDR on the iPhone and the headset, that means it uses the 3mb/s (limit) that EDR supports, which I haven't found any phones that use this yet. I think some of the new moto phones support it, but even with 90% of the headsets that technically support the spec, the just don't use it.

So getting that +EDR is gonna be a huge boost.

Okay I'm rambling.. Let me test out the headset, and then if anybody wants (i'm still up, west coast) we can try voice chat if somebody wants that to hear it for themselves. I'll record a mini video with my small camera, because I don't feel like busting out the DV cam, and importing DV footage with firewire right this second...

BRB 2 minutes

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast