Thread: should you keep your charger plugged in after phone is done charging?

Feedback Score

should you keep your charger plugged in after phone is done charging?

i've heard recently that nokia is working on better alerts to alert you that your cell phone is done charging so you will unplug it and save electricity. my question is this. after your phone is done charging and you unplug the phone, if you still have the charger wire plugged in the wall, does it still waste electricity? i think it does, but my brother says it dont. does anyone know for sure?

Carriers
    Telus
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    it shouldn't waste anything since when the battery is full, the phone stops charging, now with it plugged in i am am pretty sure the phone runs off the a/c adapter not the battery
    My HowardForums.com Feedbacks (225 and counting)

Add me on ICQ and / or MSN to reach me faster

ICQ - 81858016
    MSN - evilgabbie@rogers.com
    email - evilgabbie@gmail.com
    tel - (416) 878-8776

please when adding me to your contact list, please let me know you are from howardforums.

Phone
    Samsung SCH-R451C
    Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilgabbie
    it shouldn't waste anything since when the battery is full, the phone stops charging, now with it plugged in i am am pretty sure the phone runs off the a/c adapter not the battery

Thats not exactly true. do this, plug in your phone to the charger. then remove the battery. if you notice the phone shuts off. After the phone is done charging is it goes into a "trickle charge" what this does is keeps the battery full as long as its on the charger. so theoretically its not wasting electricity. Its just keeping your battery fully charged.
    Phone History:
    Nokia 6010, Nokia 3120b,Motorola i415, Motorola i710, Nokia 6133(T-mobile Branded, Then Debranded)

Quote Originally Posted by Spleen
    Stop crying wolf...u make it sound like a this was life-or-death situation

Feedback Score
    if its not wasting any electricity why is nokia making it to be a big thing and investing money in making better alerts and trying to save electricity? i just dont understand

Carriers
    Fido (Snoopy's Dog House)
    Feedback Score
    cus tickle charging still uses up charge cycles and doing it often will diminish your battery life.
    My Feedback
    I put the "Ho" back in "HOFO"

Feedback Score
    So even if the charger is hooked up, it is not comsuming any electricity??

Carrier
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s60user
    So even if the charger is hooked up, it is not comsuming any electricity??
    read the responses. it DOES consume electricity. it just trickle charges your phone to keep it full (if your phone is on, it still uses electricity after all)

feedback
    feedback2
    feedback currently at: 9-0-0

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It does consume electricity. It's best to unplug a phone (or notebook PC) after it is charged rather than leave it plugged in.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    the transformer in the charger uses electricity whether or not your phone is plugged into the charger. that's why if everyone unplugged their chargers from the wall, instead of just their phones from their chargers, you could light a city with the saved electricity.

unplug your chargers... or get a "smartstrip"

Phones
    Nokia N82
    BB 8100 Pearl
    HTC
    Carriers
    O2 UK
    Feedback Score
    A phone charger plugged into mains electricity and turned on with either a fully charged phone attached or even nothing attached will consume about £40 of electricity a year..

Feedback Score
    Many of us would like

Phone
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes i listen to my phone at night time (audiobook tunes) i have my phone plugged into the wall so in the morning my battery isn't dead is this killing my battery?

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    the OP was asking if the charger consumes power even when the phone is NOT plugged into the charger. the topic concerns conservation, not battery health.

Phone
    Nokia 6265i
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by makoona
    the OP was asking if the charger consumes power even when the phone is NOT plugged into the charger. the topic concerns conservation, not battery health.
    Im ever so sorry.
    Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot. Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot. Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 32gb Unlocked
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Its my understanding, that the charger, regardless how much its rated at max supply, will only use what is drawn from it.

I would say the charger being plugged in without a phone connected draws very little current.