Phones
    iPhone 3G
    LG VX9900
    Sony/Ericsson T610
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Warning - Asurion & Refurbished Phones

I had a stolen VX9900 replaced by Asurion in June. When it arrived, there were some minor scratches on the keys, as well as the upper edges of the plastic strips on either side of the inner screen obviously loose - possibly replaced and not well-glued.

That phone recently stopped working - there is no sound on calls, (there is sound when the phone boots up), and attempting to connect to a Bluetooth headset gets a message:

"REMOVE WIRED HEADSET OR CAR-KIT TO CONNECT"

Asurion is refusing to honor their phone warranty, because during the claim process I mentioned the lifted plastic. They say I had to report this in the first 7 days (it was minor, and I didn't want to hassle with sending the phone back and getting another one).

DO NOT MENTION anything about problems with a previous replacement phone when you make a warranty claim! They will trap you with this technicality, and refuse to honor their warranty.

I just wanted to insure that this time I get a new phone instead of a refurb.

I would have been better off without the insurance. Now I have no warranty.

Phones
    Droid 2
    Droid2
    TP2, Returned x2: BB Tour (9630), BB 8130,
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Asurion never gives you a new phone -- only a refurbished one. And they make you pay $50, on top of the monthly fee.

The last phone I had that was replaced by Asurion, it still had the previous owner's last dialed calls in Arizona (I looked up the area code).

Another phone that was replaced by Asurion, the battery was so hot that I thought it was going to blow up on me.

It's a monthly rip off (in my opinion).
    DaWg1

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    LG VX9900
    Sony/Ericsson T610
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    BTW, the Asurion rep failed to tell me that I could have the phone replaced under warranty for 90 days at a Verizon office - which is what I am going to do.

I've asked Verizon to open an incident on this, and told them that I felt that Asurion was trying to trap people. Here is the Catch-22:

1. They send out phones with minor, cosmetic defects, that are not covered under their agreement.

2. When you later complain about some functional defect, they refuse to replace the phone, citing any cosmetic defects that you complain about when making your claim.

If you say anything like "could you send me a phone in better condition than the last one", YOU WILL BE TRAPPED!

Fortunately, Verizon does warranty service on Asurion replacements for the first 90 days. Asurion does not disclose this when you call them to make a claim!

Feedback Score
    Very few phones Asurion sends out have cosmetic defects. I've never recieved one that looked anything short of new. If you have a problem with the phone you're sent, you have a period to send it back to them... How is it unreasonable for them to limit the time you have to claim it came to you damaged? 2 months down the road, who's to say you didn't cause the cosmetic damage? As for saying "could you send me a phone in better condition than the last one," what did you expect? You're replacing your *used* phone, not upgrading to a new one...

Why would Asurion be giving information on Verizon's warranty policies? That's just asking for trouble when policies change and communication breaks down...

Bottom line is do your homework. Those brochures are there for a reason. You're not being "trapped," you're having the policies you should have read applied to you... If you don't like the policies, don't get the insurance.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The phone I received from Asurion was very clean and looked like new to me.

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    LG VX9900
    Sony/Ericsson T610
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The manager at my local Verizon store agreed to replace the phone out of new stock arriving tomorrow, saying "it sounds like you've been through the mill with Asurion."

He didn't seem to have any problem with the condition of the phone preventing him from replacing it. I did tell him about the condition of the phone when I received it, and I showed him the loose cover on the internal screen.

BTW, the Asurion supervisor confirmed that all phones that they send out are refurbs. He said that they "keep the motherboard", and replace everything else (including LCD). So, the phones, have been disassembled and reassembled.

Poorly, at least in my case.

I'm still unclear on the in-store warranty policy, but in any case they made an exception. The store manager said that the information I was given by a Verizon rep on the phone this morning was incorrect, that that Asurion - not the store - covers defects for 90 days. But I had understood that Asurion covers defects on replacements for 1 year - so this doesn't make sense.

I think the confusion might be that I have TEC coverage, which apparently is a combined offering by Asurion and Verizon. Verizon handles the extended warranty coverage and Asurion lost/stolen/damaged coverage.

Verizon needs to be better communication, to make sure that both Asurion and Verizon reps check the exact coverage.

In any case, the store manager agreed to replace the phone with absolutely no quibbles and no argument required. I simply explained what had happened.

Feedback Score
    Asurion covers defects for a year; that does not include cosmetic damage. If the phone arrives to you in unacceptable condition, you're supposed to return it immediately for replacement.

No need to "confirm" that all Asurion replacements are refurbs; it's never been denied... it's right there in the brochure, along with everything else!

Phones
    Samsung i760/i910
    MOTO Q9m
    LG VX-8100 (Left in Europe..)
    Carriers
    VZW(Verizon Wireless)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score

Cool

On rare occasions if the phone is new and/or they do not have refurbs, they WILL send you a NEW one, as they did once for me in the past.

EDIT: Also, you are much better off going to your Verizon store for a replacement, unless of course they don't have new ones or FRU's (Field Replacement Units) because you see the phone immediately,no turnaround time between replacements. Last year I went through 5 FRU's in a 1/2 hour, which would have taken about 5-6 weeks through Asurion. They also gave me a free battery.

Phones
    Samsung Rogue
    Orange Boulder
    Env, V325
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i dont think i will ever get the warranty..just be really careful with my phone..lol
    Computer

Cell Phone w/USB

Boulder Ringtones

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWg1
    Asurion never gives you a new phone
    Ive gotten 7 new phones from them. It was the Razr Maxx, they all had problems so I returned them immediately. Im not giving up on that phone as its a GREAT phone, I just want my original that was stolen and I wouldnt have any problems.

Cheap TPU cases. Thunderbolt, MT4G, Nexus S (4G) Droid X/X2, DInc 2/S, HTC Sensation, Samsung Infuse, EVO 3D, SGSII

Use coupon code HoFo for 15% OFF your order

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtara
    I had a stolen VX9900 replaced by Asurion in June. When it arrived, there were some minor scratches on the keys, as well as the upper edges of the plastic strips on either side of the inner screen obviously loose - possibly replaced and not well-glued.

That phone recently stopped working - there is no sound on calls, (there is sound when the phone boots up), and attempting to connect to a Bluetooth headset gets a message:

"REMOVE WIRED HEADSET OR CAR-KIT TO CONNECT"

Asurion is refusing to honor their phone warranty, because during the claim process I mentioned the lifted plastic. They say I had to report this in the first 7 days (it was minor, and I didn't want to hassle with sending the phone back and getting another one).

DO NOT MENTION anything about problems with a previous replacement phone when you make a warranty claim! They will trap you with this technicality, and refuse to honor their warranty.

I just wanted to insure that this time I get a new phone instead of a refurb.

I would have been better off without the insurance. Now I have no warranty.
    Are you trying to get a warranty replacement or just a replacement through insurance (you mention a claim, so it sounds like you are trying to get a replacement through insurance, like you did before)? If it's insurance, then what's the problem--insurance covers anything and everything (as long as the deductible is paid), damaged phones, broken phones, water damaged phones, lost phones, stolen phones, etc., that's what it's there for.

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    LG VX9900
    Sony/Ericsson T610
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade DM
    Are you trying to get a warranty replacement or just a replacement through insurance
    Warranty replacement.

I assumed that I would have to get a warranty replacement from Asurion, since they had supplied the phone originally as an insurance replacement. This may have been an incorrect assumption. I think it may be that Asurion supplies warranty replacements for the first 90 days of an insurance replacement, and Verizon after that. (Remember, I have TEC.)

I'm still unclear as to who should supply the warranty replacement in this case. But the store is going to do it anyway.

They wanted me to make an insurance claim and pay a $50 deductible, because the phone was "damaged". It was SHIPPED TO ME DAMAGED! Yes, I didn't report it, because it was so minor. I just didn't want another phone that was slightly damaged. Basically, the cover over the inside screen wasn't glued-down very well and was slightly lifted at the corners.

I disagree with a previous comment that Asurion had no obligation to tell me that Verizon provided warranty coverage. I pay a single service fee for a single service that provides loss/damage/extended warranty coverage. Both Verizon and Asurion should know who covers what and steer me the right way.

Nobody really knew for sure - there is definitely a communication problem. I was told different things by Asurion, a Verizon phone rep, and a Verizon store rep. I'm still not sure if what the store is doing is an exception or normal procedure.

No, I don't have the original agreement. They change these things without notice anyway. The detailed agreement is NOT on the Verizon site, and while there is what purports to be the agreement on the Asurion site, but it says NOTHING about any warranty on insurance replacements!

Feedback Score
    Asurion not only has no obligation to tell you about Verizon's policies, they open themselves up to liability if they do so... One company cannot tell you what another company will or will not do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtara
    Warranty replacement.

I assumed that I would have to get a warranty replacement from Asurion, since they had supplied the phone originally as an insurance replacement. This may have been an incorrect assumption. I think it may be that Asurion supplies warranty replacements for the first 90 days of an insurance replacement, and Verizon after that. (Remember, I have TEC.)

I'm still unclear as to who should supply the warranty replacement in this case. But the store is going to do it anyway.

They wanted me to make an insurance claim and pay a $50 deductible, because the phone was "damaged". It was SHIPPED TO ME DAMAGED! Yes, I didn't report it, because it was so minor. I just didn't want another phone that was slightly damaged. Basically, the cover over the inside screen wasn't glued-down very well and was slightly lifted at the corners.

I disagree with a previous comment that Asurion had no obligation to tell me that Verizon provided warranty coverage. I pay a single service fee for a single service that provides loss/damage/extended warranty coverage. Both Verizon and Asurion should know who covers what and steer me the right way.

Nobody really knew for sure - there is definitely a communication problem. I was told different things by Asurion, a Verizon phone rep, and a Verizon store rep. I'm still not sure if what the store is doing is an exception or normal procedure.

No, I don't have the original agreement. They change these things without notice anyway. The detailed agreement is NOT on the Verizon site, and while there is what purports to be the agreement on the Asurion site, but it says NOTHING about any warranty on insurance replacements!
    Between http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g.../worryFree.jsp , http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...Legal%20Notice, http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...rAgreement.jsp, and http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...nformation.jsp (plus perhaps other information that might be accessible in the help/FAQ section and inside of My Account) pretty much all of VZW policies/information should be online.

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    LG VX9900
    Sony/Ericsson T610
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Ultimate irony- damaged part was an Asurion add-on gee-gaw!

Well, here is the ultimate irony in my situation: the damaged part that caused Asurion to deny my warranty claim was a gee-gaw that THEY ADDED and has no apparent function!

I went into my local Verizon store near closing-time yesterday, and it was a 100% pleasant experience. (10 minutes before closing on a Friday is a SWEET time to arrive at a Verizon office! No line, got hustled right through.)

The Verizon rep who handed the exchange pointed-out the curious differences between a Verizon phone and an Asurion phone. For example, Asurion phones have no "LG" logos. (My phone is an LG VX9900). There are other differences, as well. In particular, there are two added narrow strips of plastic (which matches the screen plastic) to the left and right of the internal screen, which simply cover up part of the case on either side of the screen. On the Verizon phones, there are two little indentations in the case near the upper left and right-hand corners of the internal screen. These are covered-up by the plastic strips on the Asurion phones.

I have no idea what the function of these strips are. Perhaps this area scratches easily. Perhaps it unavoidably scratches when they refurbish a phone.

In any case, these strips ARE NOT THERE on Verizon phones. On my Asurion insurance replacement, they were there, and they were lifting up due to insufficient glue. Asurion refused warranty replacement because of this.

(A somewhat flawed analogy, as car insurance doesn't work this way - insurance companies usually pay cash, and it's ALWAYS the manufacturer warranty if in-warranty.)

It's as if your car was totaled, and the insurance company gave you a "gently used" car. But they bolt on some ugly tail-fins, crooked, on the new car. You don't like the tail fins, but you don't say anything. The transmission goes out a month later, and they refuse to deal with it because the tail fins are crooked and you didn't tell them when you took possession of the replacement.

The Verizon rep also VOLUNTEERED that "We replace a lot of Asurion phones. They work for a while, and then they fail in some way."

I have a feeling that Verizon is eating a lot of cost in shoddy Asurion refurbs, and/or due to Asirion's strict policies. Verizon has a lot more to lose that Asurion if the customer is unhappy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast