Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hyperventilating when running?

Feedback Score

hyperventilating when running?

I think I have this problem, I normally run at night since I feel uncomfortable running in the day. Also, I tried running the other night with no sweater since it was really hot that night and I got tired really fast. It almost seems as if I can run longer and not get as tired when I have a hoodie sweater over my head, does anyone else get this when running? I was just curious, if so is there anyway to not hyperventilate when running?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    BB Bold 9000, BB Curve 8310 (Crimson), BB Curve 8300, BB Pearl (Red)
    Samsung D807 (White),MOTORAZR V3xx, Motorola L6, Samsung SGH-D407, Samsung C417, Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i also run at night because i can't tolerate the heat. hot air is just harder on the lungs, at least on mine. and plus, i can't stand feeling the sun burning my skin.

not sure what's up with a hoody helping you run longer. are you bald or have hair? don't know if that makes a difference, but i wonder.
    maybe since the hoody keeps your head warmer, it helps with the blood to circulate more efficiently, which brings a continuous supply of blood to important organs, such as your brain.

Feedback Score
    Well, I dont like running in the day cause all those people..its like, I get the feeling that someone is looking at me when I run and when I get that feeling, my heart starts to beat a lot faster and I get tired faster..I got issues I guess lol..

Phones
    N1
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yup, I run at night once we get to this time of year. Air gets dreadfully thick and hot (probably not as bad as AL, but bad enough for me), and worse yet, KC has such horrible air quality. Do you live somewhere with bad air quality by chance? This doesn't help things greatly.

What I've found that works best for me is to run late at night. (I just got done with my 5k loop maybe an hour ago.) I also won't eat for a few hours before going out to keep any blood from being pulled from necessary functions. I dump a lot of fluids into my system both before and after, usually a mix of gatorade style drink with water. That helps quite a bit.

Once I get acclimated and "in shape", it gets easier. Your body has to adjust to hot conditions. In a couple of weaks, I'll find myself being able to breath easier because my body will be used to it again.

One other thing to consider is your pace. Try picking up a running partner, preferably someone you know is going to force you into a little slower pace. The distraction of having someone to talk to plus their slower pace tends to help quite a bit. I picked up two women this summer for training. Slowing down to their pace has helped me realize that maybe I was asking too much of myself. I used to always go out with a stop watch running on my watch with known marks. I was constantly pushing my body to do something it wasn't ready to do by asking it to cut a minute here and there when I shouldn't have. (I was actually trying to train so I could keep up with my old running partner who trains for the 50 miler races. Eh, he can keep them.)

Quite a bit to try out. I also still don't rule out something medical, it's just my doctor can't find it and he's a runner. I also have problems with altitude sometimes when I climb, definitely not always getting enough O's into my system. Just listen to your body and know when to back it down a notch or turn around and head home prudently. You both sound a bit like me so, you should be ok as long as you're smart about it.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    Samsung D807 (White),MOTORAZR V3xx, Motorola L6, Samsung SGH-D407, Samsung C417, Sony Ericsson W600i
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ^ good tips. i've tried getting a running partner, but they always bail out on me. chickens! so it's just me and my Nano.

i've read that to keep yourself hydrated, you should drink "2 cups 2 hrs. before every workout and a cup 30 min. before." and that if you're going to be active for more than 90 min., then you should drink a sports drink.
    i've tried varying my drink that i take with me between regular water and Gatorade. i haven't experienced feeling more efficient during a run when drinking either one.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    btw, do you have a certain distance or time frame in mind when you go out for a run? or just stick to what your body feels at the moment?

for me, i like to have a set distance or time. i like the challenge of pushing my body to its max. not to mention, the great feeling i get of accomplishing that day's goal.

Phones
    N1
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a route set out that features a couple of options for longer and shorter route versions. (Mostly longer options) The main route is approximately 5k. I used to run it for time, but that actually proved to be counter productive. Now I just run by feel. My main goal is to fit in a good uphill at some point near the end of whatever run I do. Not hard since I live at the top of what the locals call a ridge.

The nice thing about a gatorade style drink mixed with water is that I can flood my system with K and Na before I go out. I even tried pedialyte, but it tastes horrendous.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i'll experiment with the half water-half Gatorade mix tonight and see how that goes.

i have alot of uphills and downhills on my route. i also like to double back sometimes. man, those steep hills are killer during a run. i feel like dying sometimes, like i'm going to pass out. so i have to slow down or just speedwalk uphill. but i find that gunning it is easier on the legs than stepping it down to a jog. that's one of the things i need to work on. i want to be able to run a long steep hill without exhaustion.

Phones
    N1
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The gatorade half mix is necessary to bring the sugars down, otherwise they're way too much. It also makes it consumable on long workouts without making you sick. If you want to drink it full strength, you either have to plan ahead or wait until afterwards.

For hills, you can find a decent hill and do intervals to build your legs up. During a full run, I tend to pull my pace down a little at the beginning. As I get closer to the top, I pump up my pace and run it out. (Again, I always place a good hill at the end that steepens as it goes.) You can then slowly move the point where you start your faster pace further and further down the hill. When you do pump up the pace, think of running like a gazelle, also think light and happy thoughts. Your mood will affect how you carry yourself. A heavy mood will make you run heavy, a light happy mood........ Your music choice can come into play to help.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    so i drank the half water-half Gatorade mix during my run. my performance was not bad. my pace was better compared to my last 2 runs. and i lasted more than an hour too. the only thing that put a damper on my run was i formed a blister on my heel! really painful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KiSsTiNe
    so i drank the half water-half Gatorade mix during my run. my performance was not bad. my pace was better compared to my last 2 runs. and i lasted more than an hour too. the only thing that put a damper on my run was i formed a blister on my heel! really painful.
    either your shoes aren't fitting properly or you need new socks?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rip
    either your shoes aren't fitting properly or you need new socks?
    it was the second time i've used those shoes. the first time, i didn't get any blisters. loved the shoes. yesterday, i ran again with those shoes for the 3rd time, taping the area that i got a blister on and possibly other hot spots. i did not want to risk getting another blister. and i ended up with no blisters or anything.

so i've come to the conclusion that it was caused by wearing heels the day before i ran. the heel that i got a blister on was the same area that was hurting the night i wore heels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peāce-ĸeeper
    I think I have this problem, I normally run at night since I feel uncomfortable running in the day. Also, I tried running the other night with no sweater since it was really hot that night and I got tired really fast. It almost seems as if I can run longer and not get as tired when I have a hoodie sweater over my head, does anyone else get this when running? I was just curious, if so is there anyway to not hyperventilate when running?
    how's you breathing pattern?

you could be breathing too fast...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rip
    how's you breathing pattern?

you could be breathing too fast...

It depends to be honest with you, if I'm running and I see people sitting on their bench outside their house or something I start to breath a bit faster, I get nervous, also the area I live in is rather rough, I had some guy drive by as I was running and he actually made a U-turn to pass me by again so he can throw me 3 fingers, oh yes I'm gonna stop running and chase after you because you did some sort of hand gesture that insulted the gang that I'm affiliated with lol.

Anyways, I'm in a rather ****** situation to tell you the truth, I run roughly 1.6 miles, well I dont run, I jog and once I'm about a block away from my house, I sprint as fast as I can. I took three days off to rest and just today I ate a boat load of Chinese food so I'll burping that as I jog tonight

I'm just a bit worried because I leave for the Air force next week so I just dont want to be an overweight, out of shape blob ya know?

Phones
    N1
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Did they send you any training guidelines? I know way way back when, when I applied to the academy, they sent a suggested workout plan. It was pretty thurough and I have no doubt that it would've worked.

Edit to add: Keep your eyes open for MO3iusONE. He's a Hofo'r that went in. If you happen across him in some odd circumstance, tell him we say HI. (Might sound like a long shot, but I just met a woman who's dad was stationed at the same small, out of the way, far-flung air base as my dad, at the same time back in the 70's, we probably knew each other!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast