Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Tracfone on cruise ships question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Phones
    LG DARE
    LG Chocolate Flip VX-8600
    motorola V710
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Tracfone on cruise ships question

    My question is will the tracfone work on the cruise ships? example NCL, RCCL Carnival

    I know that verizon wireless and cingular both work on the cruise ships.

    I have verizon and it works fine (have to pay 2.50 per mintue)


    Thanks
    Argenstyle

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,813
    Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Welcome to Howard Forums!

    If the underlying carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) provides this service on a cruiseship presumably through a separate service, then theoretically, a TracFone would work, but such use may constitute a violation of their terms of service that could result in the service being terminated.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2012.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Phones
    LG DARE
    LG Chocolate Flip VX-8600
    motorola V710
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here, I will explain how the system works on the ship then you can help me out,

    The ships have a multi system cell tower, that accepts cdma(verizon) and GSM (cingular at&t and maybe t-mobile(havent try them yet)).. The tower is owned by MTN, they send the signal up to their satellite and down to a location in the USA, So basically they are relaying the signal from the ship to a land location.

    To my knowledge they charge the cell phone companies a fee for this service and then the cell phone companies charge us $2.50 per min.

    What I am trying to do is use a tracfone since its pre-paid to save some money on the calls. but before I buy one I want to make sure it will work. I dont see why not since they are only relaying the sign but, When Im on the ship my verizon phone says roaming. Dont know if the tracfone can roam???

    Any info will be great
    argenstyle

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,082
    Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Tracfones do not work on any cruise ships period. They will, however, work in US ports of call (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). They will also work in Canadian ports of call (if traveling the Inside Passage to Alaska), although it is a violation of Tracfone's TOS to use it in Canada. Many Canadians have Tracfones and use them there, but do so sparingly because of the potential for termination of service.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Walback,WV
    Posts
    402
    Phones
    C-139 Motorola
    2126i Tracfone
    W370 Motorola
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why the restrictions on where you can use a tracfone? Or any cell phone for that matter. You bought it, you paid for it and if you want to use it in some other country, why not? It was my understanding that you can make international calls so whats the difference where you make the calls from? Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,696
    Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    0
    It is simple -- making calls from foreign countries costs them big bucks -- $1 or more a minute is not uncommon. Since they cannot find a manner of passing the cost on to you, they just do not allow you to use the phone in that manner. Calling some countries from the US is not costly, therefore they allow it through the 1-800 number. Note you cannot call cell phones internationally from here to Europe or call Iraq. That is because of the cost and the inability to pass it on because of their billing system.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Walback,WV
    Posts
    402
    Phones
    C-139 Motorola
    2126i Tracfone
    W370 Motorola
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    It is simple -- making calls from foreign countries costs them big bucks -- $1 or more a minute is not uncommon. Since they cannot find a manner of passing the cost on to you, they just do not allow you to use the phone in that manner. Calling some countries from the US is not costly, therefore they allow it through the 1-800 number. Note you cannot call cell phones internationally from here to Europe or call Iraq. That is because of the cost and the inability to pass it on because of their billing system.
    That sucks!!!! Oh well, there are other things much more important to complain about. Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    35
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    Tracfones do not work on any cruise ships period. They will, however, work in US ports of call (including Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands). They will also work in Canadian ports of call (if traveling the Inside Passage to Alaska), although it is a violation of Tracfone's TOS to use it in Canada. Many Canadians have Tracfones and use them there, but do so sparingly because of the potential for termination of service.
    You have NO idea what you are talking about PERIOD. I as well as many others have used Tracfones on cruise ships with no problem at all. This was while at sea, using the ship's cell tower. It deducted one credit per minute while at sea. Was able to place and receive calls without issue. It was a GSM Tracfone. If you go to the cruise message boards you will see many stories of people successfully using their Tracfones while at sea.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,082
    Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by discjoker
    You have NO idea what you are talking about PERIOD. I as well as many others have used Tracfones on cruise ships with no problem at all. This was while at sea, using the ship's cell tower. It deducted one credit per minute while at sea. Was able to place and receive calls without issue. It was a GSM Tracfone. If you go to the cruise message boards you will see many stories of people successfully using their Tracfones while at sea.
    I do know what I am talking about. Please be specific and specify which cruise line(s) and from which ships you were able to place calls using Tracfone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    35
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    I do know what I am talking about. Please be specific and specify which cruise line(s) and from which ships you were able to place calls using Tracfone.
    Apparantly not. You made an incorrect statement on a subject you don't know about. I'm not trying to start anything but that's the way it is.

    Anyway, I have used it on Norwegian Cruise Line. The ship was Norwegian Dream. Reports from other cruisers (from cruise message boards) indicate that Tracfone has been used on other cruise lines and ships without any problems.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Phones
    LG DARE
    LG Chocolate Flip VX-8600
    motorola V710
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    discjoker

    Thanks for you intel, That was the answer to my initial question.

    What cruise message boards were you talking about, I would like to read Them. I am always doing work on the cruise ships and paying 2.50 per min sucks on version. If the tracfone works like you say one credit per minte then I will get it.

    argenstyle

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    35
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by argenstyle
    discjoker

    Thanks for you intel, That was the answer to my initial question.

    What cruise message boards were you talking about, I would like to read Them. I am always doing work on the cruise ships and paying 2.50 per min sucks on version. If the tracfone works like you say one credit per minte then I will get it.

    argenstyle
    Cruise Critic is the message board I am referring to. There is a wealth of info there.

    A tip for you though regarding using your Tracfone on your cruise. Make sure you only have the Tracfone on while the ship is at sea and far enough from land so that they have turned on the onboard cell tower. If your phone registers on certain foreign sites, Tracfone will shut your phone off and it will require a new sim card. For example, I left my phone on and allowed it to register on a Belizean cell site. After that, the phone wouldn't work. When I got home I called Tracfone and they said my phone was flagged and shut down because I tried to make calls from Belize (didn't try to make calls but the phone registered on the Belizean site). Just a word of warning. Enjoy your cruise!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Phones
    LG DARE
    LG Chocolate Flip VX-8600
    motorola V710
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks thats some good info. Also which one should i get a gsm or cdma??

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    35
    Phone
    HTC Evo 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by argenstyle
    Thanks thats some good info. Also which one should i get a gsm or cdma??
    I would recommend getting a GSM handset that uses the Cingular network (Cingular sim). That is what worked for me and is the one that seems to work for most people (based on the reports from Cruise Critic).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Phones
    LG DARE
    LG Chocolate Flip VX-8600
    motorola V710
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for all your help. I will do some research to see which ones use the cingular sim card. I mean the ones that work on cingular service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks