Thread: New Sprint Tower going up without indication on online coverage map

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

New Sprint Tower going up without indication on online coverage map

A brand new tower was put up in my area. This tower is at a golf course and the tower was made to look like a tree. The electrical box says "SPRINT" on it. The panels were all put into place, the power box was constructed but the cables and the actual CDMA equipment on the ground has not yet been installed. It looks like they will be done with construction in about a week.

All that is left is the Verizon T1 line and power supply from the power company.

I called the town and was told that Sprint (actually under the Nextel NY name) has a permit to put a tower up on that exact spot.

So, why would Sprint not include it on their upcoming tower map?

I can't wait for this site to turn on.....it fills a nice gap in coverage by my home and will allow me to carry a call all the way to work without fear of dropping a call!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure this is going to be a CDMA tower? Believe it or not there are still some IDEN only towers going up.

The online street level map function which shows upcoming improvements in the next 120 days is not always complete. I've seen some new sites go up in the Los Angeles area that never even made it online.

Also I hate to break the bad news but I've seen T'1 and power company situations that took months to complete even after everything else was finished. Hope that doesn't happen in this case.
    Sprint user since 1997

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    It's CDMA. I went to the site and it is using Lucent gear. They even added EVDO gear and I believe a single iDEN panel. T1's do take time. It took a new nearby site 2 months to go live after it was developed. Verizon drags their feet in this market.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

yeah, i posted a similiar post on sprintusers.com.............i noted two new sprint cdma sites in concord, nc.................they too were not ever listed on the online maps......but hey, i will take it

just wish they were updated more accurately....

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar
    Verizon drags their feet in this market.
    Yeah, unfortunately, ILECs do tend to drag the process out as long as they can to get the backhaul connected for competitors. They aren't exactly motivated to speed up the process any more than they are legally obligated.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Yeah, unfortunately, ILECs do tend to drag the process out as long as they can to get the backhaul connected for competitors. They aren't exactly motivated to speed up the process any more than they are legally obligated.
    There's a site in Canoga Park, CA near a busy mall that's had Sprint panels since August of last year but is not active. It's a co-location on a Verizon tower and Verizon is also the local telco there. For some reason they refuse to install the T-1's and Sprint had to finally do a microwave relay set-up to try and get the site going. What a waste of a whole year.

Device(s)
    Samsung a707
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular- the new at&t
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A707/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.3 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

There are upcoming sites along the Ohio River that say upcoming sites for cdma and it has been since February..and those sites already exist with iden on them. I wish someone knew if they are live yet. Or online maps get updated soon.
    The power of communication is changing our landscape.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The maps are due for an update. I think the last update was in late May.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar

So, why would Sprint not include it on their upcoming tower map?

SImply, based on my observations being a customer since 2000, it's because Sprint just does not have their act together at keeping things like this up to date. They are good at rolling out new things like tower site maps, etc, but they are horrible at keeping them current.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510
    There's a site in Canoga Park, CA near a busy mall that's had Sprint panels since August of last year but is not active. It's a co-location on a Verizon tower and Verizon is also the local telco there. For some reason they refuse to install the T-1's and Sprint had to finally do a microwave relay set-up to try and get the site going. What a waste of a whole year.
    Is that the Topanga Westfield Mall or the mall closer to the 101 ?
    As an FYI, they posted the 2 iDEN sites (one iDEN only to boot - good for me and my Nextel BB 7510), and both are now live. The iDEN only site went live ~3 months (from pouring concrete to site up). The hybrid site (CDMA/iDEN) which has had CDMA for a long time took quite a while to go live.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure this is going to be a CDMA tower? Believe it or not there are still some IDEN only towers going up.

The online street level map function which shows upcoming improvements in the next 120 days is not always complete. I've seen some new sites go up in the Los Angeles area that never even made it online.

Also I hate to break the bad news but I've seen T'1 and power company situations that took months to complete even after everything else was finished. Hope that doesn't happen in this case.
    There are also sites on the Sprint drawing board that seem to take FOREVER to get built, eh Larry?
    ...and MORE radiation is GOODER!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck
    Is that the Topanga Westfield Mall or the mall closer to the 101 ?
    As an FYI, they posted the 2 iDEN sites (one iDEN only to boot - good for me and my Nextel BB 7510), and both are now live. The iDEN only site went live ~3 months (from pouring concrete to site up). The hybrid site (CDMA/iDEN) which has had CDMA for a long time took quite a while to go live.
    The Topanga site is across from the Westfield I believe at Topanga & Vanowen. The one that's further North of the 101. Last I checked the damn site was still not active. Here's a picture of the site taken a while ago where you can see the Sprint CDMA panels flush mounted at the top.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dlsnyder
    There are also sites on the Sprint drawing board that seem to take FOREVER to get built, eh Larry?
    Yep that certainly happens sometimes. There's two sites in Laguna Niguel that were approved for construction in 2005 (received all necessary approvals from the city) but have yet to be built.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Topanga site is across from the Westfield I believe at Topanga & Vanowen. The one that's further North of the 101. Last I checked the damn site was still not active. Here's a picture of the site taken a while ago where you can see the Sprint CDMA panels flush mounted at the top.

Ahh... I wondered who's site that was (behind what was Krispy Kreme)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrandall
    SImply, based on my observations being a customer since 2000, it's because Sprint just does not have their act together at keeping things like this up to date. They are good at rolling out new things like tower site maps, etc, but they are horrible at keeping them current.
    Ah, yes. 2 months out of date is so terrible - especially when comparing it to ATT, Verizon, or T-Mobile's new tower map which is infinity months out of date (ie. non-existent).

Sprint can't update this information too often. Partially because things change when they're looking to build sites. As such, they would be adding and removing them constantly. This way, Sprint is able to post about sites they are fairly sure will happen. And frankly, the site says "within the next 120 days" so it's not something you should expect updated that frequently. If Sprint updates the information every 4 months, I think they've done their job here - and they seem to be updating more frequently than that.