Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Review: Lubix LC1 stereo bluetooth headset

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Review: Lubix LC1 stereo bluetooth headset

I ordered my set from Teckwave Industries on Ebay, since the other seller SOHOcrates inc. didn't have these listed. No pic, nothing to go on but the model number but it came in, and is definitely the Lubix LC1, my order was LC1-K (black) while the LC1-W is white. I paid about $70 + $10 shipping to a U.S. PO Box + $10 at US-Canada border for customs + $10 for gas going crossing the border just to avoid paying $30 for shipping straight to Canada. I think I learned my lesson hehe. Now first off...

Lubix LC1 Review SUMMARY

Pros:
    - minimalistic, elegant look
    - magnetic earpieces, wearable as a necklace when not in use
    - simple jog-dial controls and on/off switch
    - simple setup, pairing
    - included AC adapter which can be used to charge any USB device
    - clear voice quality
    - inexpensive

Cons:
    - poor fit
    - useless equalizer settings
    - lcd screen isn't very useful and displays numbers oddly
    - average sound quality
    - average battery life
    - mediocre performance overall

Out of the box
    Included was the stereo headset unit, the manual,, one extra (smaller) rubber earpad set, one set of foam earpad covers, one USB charging cable, and the USB AC adapter (which you plug the USB cable into for AC charging, I reckon this works with any USB chargeable device and will come in handy for traveling - props to Lubix). The packaging itself isn't special. Most impressed with the unit itself and the AC adapter.

Aesthetics and ergonomics
    This thing looks fantastic. Hanging from your neck, one mistakes it for an mp3 player (one cannot deny the similarity especially with its LCD screen). Once on your ear they look like a regular headset earpiece... except stereo, and that's when the questions start flying in. Its minimalism and symmetry is elegant, rather than having an asymmetric and futuristic unit like the Jabra BT8010. Thanks to the magnets lining the touching sides of each earpiece, wearing the headset around your neck only comes naturally when they're not in use, and prevent you from fumbling around in pockets (for those who are conscious of wearing their earpieces even when not taking any calls).I cannot emphasize how handy this is. Unfortunately, this headset has a poor fit: no matter what combination of included padding I use, they somehow manage to fall off of my ear or cause discomfort. Using the large earpad, in order to keep it in for a half hour to listen to music, I have to literally wedge it into my ear and only then will it stay in place. Forget about jogging with these. Any sort of earclip would improve this design. But I guess it's style over substance, as far as this goes. I've read about the Jabra Eargels here and a package is on its way, so I will update this once I get them in. for looks, for fit.

Initial setup, connections
    The initial charge took about two and a half hours for me, using the AC adapter. Pairing is simple, hold down the answer key jog dial and switch on, then let your phone do the rest. Standard 0000 pairing key, so most audio dongles will pair with it. However, I did run into a few weird problems with this headset on my Sharp 903sh, like all my stereo headsets so far. After answering a call my phone will stay connected with the headset and cause stutters in the headset's other connections like streaming music from another device. It stops once I shut off BT on my 903sh, and it's apparently trying to do something which tries to stop me from disabling BT but I'm not sure what it is. Pairing with a few other dongles brings about no problems, so I'm pretty sure it's just my phone. Streaming music from my PSP's everE A375 dongle is smooth as a whistle all day while my phone's bluetooth is disabled. I hope this is an isolated case, so feel free to tell me if you run into any other phones which cause this stutter or if it is the headset itself. Fine, I suppose, save for my own phone's problems.

Display
    Now the display shows playback status, equalizer settings, phone numbers, and battery life. Over 90% of the time the display is not in use and is active only when receiving/making calls or using the headset controls. Not exactly the best way to use a display, I suppose it's in order to save battery life. Also, it does not show whether it's connected to a device or not until it does connect or disconnect, and only for a brief moment. When answering calls, the phone number shows up as xxx-xxxx-xxxx, so for North American phone numbers with 1 + area code + phone number, ex: 1(000)599-9999 it will show up as 100-0599-9999. It does not show the caller's name if you have them in your phone book. No word on whether Name Display (as provided by your carrier) will display their name. Playback status is limited to the button you just pressed, no music titles or anything. Another note: the display is on the left side. I'm somewhat disappointed.

Controls
    All controls, charging port, on/off switch, and display are on the left earpiece. Controlling music using the jog dial is straightforward (reverse, play/pause/stop by pushing down the jog dial, forward). This is done on the forwardmost jog dial. The rearmost jog dial controls volume and equalizer settings. For calls, pushing down on the rearmost jog dial and holding it will redial the last number (whereas a light press on the jog dial changes equalizer settings). Hanging up is the same as forward, on the forwardmost jog dial. Answering a call is easy as any direction on the jog dials except hanging up, which rejects the call. I personally find the jog dials to be much easier than using buttons. I wish there was a way to scroll through previously dialed/received calls. All in all, it's very simple and nothing really bad to say about it.

Sound Quality
    After playing music through these, with no equalizer settings I'm pretty sure that these are certainly not up to par with true audiophile headphones, but it does fine. Bass is a little weak and highs (in particular, cymbals) sound compressed slightly. The equalizer settings aren't particularly useful. Xome is supposedly some sort of noise cancellation but I find it has little effect. Live is garbage, Wide is slightly more toned down than Live, and Mex boosts bass. It's much better to let your device handle the sound effects. Not impressed at all, ok I suppose.

Voice Quality
    It's a little quiet, but really clear. In crowds it's easy to get your own voice drowned out, so prepare to speak a little louder than usual - or take out the left earpiece which carries the mic, and put it up to your mouth. Oddly, the stuttering which is caused by my phone does not appear during voice calls, and only interferes with another connection's device with the headset. No noise cancellation. Average.

Battery life
    10 hours for talking, 9 hours music as stated in the manual. On a full charge I've gone to 9 hours on music as advertised. 9 hours isn't a lot, you'll be recharging every day which is fine for daily use but useless for traveling. I suppose that this is par for this generation of stereo headsets.

Final impressions
    For the price they're a great deal, but of course for the $80 stereo headset with LCD display there will be some compromises. This headset is mediocre in performance but looks great and was cheap. For those of you looking for an elegant middle step in between this generation of stereo bluetooth headsets and the next without committing too much money, this is for you.

This is my first review for such a device, so please tell me what you think. This review is based so far on my experiences alone with headsets and stereo bluetooth headsets, and if you've got any comments or tips please let me know! Hope you guys found this helpful, since I didn't see a review for the Lubix LC1 on HoFo yet.

Feedback Score
    Spend $3 on Jabra eargels and then redo the review.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HP HX2495b and/or SE K790a: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

use the earpiece cap for Sony E818
    but the ergonomic is pretty poor, it falls out easily
    the worst is the sound drops like crazy

Optimum/Cablevision

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HooHoos?
    Spend $3 on Jabra eargels and then redo the review.
    They're on their way...

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    just go to local ratshak and buy
    it works OK, but I don't see much improvement
    the ergonomics is poor, that the earpiece falls off easily

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I already placed the order/payment on ebay so I'll just wait for that one to come in.

I don't know if the eargels will help keep it in place, but if it helps channel sound into the ears better then I'm all for it. As it is, how it fits on my ears is simply hanging on by the edge. I can actually walk with it hanging like this, since as it hangs it pushes the rest of the headset against the side of my cheek and will stay in place. To be honest I don't think the eargels will really help its sound quality much... Hopefully I can get the gels in soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dragan 418
    just go to local ratshak and buy
    it works OK, but I don't see much improvement
    the ergonomics is poor, that the earpiece falls off easily
    wrong
    wrong
    wrong

Verizon sells them for $3 in their stores
    They work great
    Ergonomics are incredible and the earpieces never budge, even when running sprints

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ^wish I lived in USA, no Verizon stores in Canada.

Feedback Score
    Quick questions:
    1) Is fast forwarding / rewinding supported (in addition to next/previous track)?
    2) Do phone calls come out of both ears (ie: sythentic 'stereo')? or just one?
    3) Did the jabra ear gels work in providing a more secure fit and enhanced sound isolation?

Thanks

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quick answers:
    1) Yes, depending on whether your phone/device supports it too.

[Excerpt from the manual itself]
    Rewind/Forward
    While music is playing, press and hold '|<<' or '>>|' buttons to rewind or fast-forward the song.

2) Yes, you can hear the caller in both ears. (If your caller complains that you're talking too quiet, take off the left earpiece and use it as a mic while listening with the right earpiece XD)

3) I can't answer, since I haven't received my order yet. I'll let you know when I get the damned things. It's been 8 days since I ordered the damn jabra headset with the eargels; Customs sure loves to take its time.

EDIT: I just got the eargels. After 15 minutes of wondering exactly how they're supposed to fit, I finally figured it out and put them on. They fit the headset perfectly, and no need for stretching at all.

They provide a superb fit! I'm impressed. They no longer hang from my ear, they are 'hooked' by the eargel. Forget what I said about not jogging with these on. If you decide to get this headset, MAKE SURE YOU GET EARGELS TOO!

With regards to enhanced sound isolation, these don't help much; a lot of outside noise is still audible. However, they do channel sound from the earpieces well; bass is significantly improved and the headset's overall volume is higher.

For $.98 + shipping on Ebay, the eargels significantly improve the fit and slightly improve the sound. They're a MUST if you're buying the Lubix LC-1 headset. I ordered mine from OEM Universe (username: skymaster28) in a package with the cheap verizon 2.5mm headset.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you need me to clarify anything.

Feedback Score
    Min.tee,
    Thanks for the follow up.

I do have a few other questions about the Lubix LC1:
    1) What Bluetooth version is supported?
    2) Do you know what Bluetooth power class is used (class 1, 2, etc.)?
    3) Does the headset look 'mod'-able to perhaps attach a sound isolating earbud instead (ie: visible screws, snap-on parts, seams, etc.)

Thanks

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    A few other answers

1) Bluetooth 2.0 (supported profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP)

2) Class 2

3) No screws. Little rubber nubs do not hide anything, they're just pads to prevent scratches when left on a desk. There is one long seam on the main black plastic piece which cuts the headset like you would a sub sandwich. The silver piece covers the outside flat panel which has the protruding neckband. Prying the piece off result in little more than a snap. Meanwhile, the speakers have notches on opposing sides which you should be able to use to pry off (along with any attached cables), but they're very tough.

tl:dr; They don't look mod-able at all.

Again, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer

Feedback Score
    So far this is looking to be a good candidate for purchase.

Most other headsets don't offer the aesthetic & ergonomic convenience that this headset offers (ie: magnetic clip, 'jog' switch, etc.)

The only problem is that since I would mainly be using this in a noisy call center, I really am looking to find a wireless headset that has sound isolating earbuds (thus question 3).

So I did a bit of research and came up with the following products that may offer a solution:

1) Griffin EarJams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno.../dp/B0006Q7FFG)
    2) PodFitKit (http://www.podfitkit.com/index.html)

Both seem fairly cheap, < USD $14. My concern about option 1) though is whether they will fit the Lubix LC1 earbuds (some Amazon reviewers complained that there was too much bass with the EarJams, but perhaps I could adjust the EQ on the Lubix LC1 to compensate). According to Griffin's website, the EarJams are compatible with most iPod model earbuds and may/may not fit other manufacturers earbuds. Do you have a compass/caliper in which you could use to measure the depth of curvature and diameter of the Lubix LC1 earbuds read against a metric ruler? If so, I could compare those measurements against that of my iPod mini earbuds to see if ordering the Griffin EarJams is even an option. If not, it should make my decision process much easier

Thanks in advance!

Phone
    Nokia 5610
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'll have to dig through a garage of doom to find a caliper or anything. The diameter is 13.5mm, roughly measured with a ruler.

The equalizer's settings only do decently in boosting bass (Mex/Xome settings) but have nothing decent to properly boost midrange/treble (or reduce bass). Equalizer settings are better left to the device paired to the headset.

Maybe if I can find a local retailer carrying the EarJams here in Vancouver I'll try them on for you, but right now Future Shop/Best Buy don't have them listed on their sites.

EDIT: London Drugs has them. I'll let you know tomorrow or so, their return policy is pretty good and they should have them in store.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknova
    So far this is looking to be a good candidate for purchase.

Most other headsets don't offer the aesthetic & ergonomic convenience that this headset offers (ie: magnetic clip, 'jog' switch, etc.)

The only problem is that since I would mainly be using this in a noisy call center, I really am looking to find a wireless headset that has sound isolating earbuds (thus question 3).

So I did a bit of research and came up with the following products that may offer a solution:

1) Griffin EarJams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno.../dp/B0006Q7FFG)
    2) PodFitKit (http://www.podfitkit.com/index.html)

Both seem fairly cheap, < USD $14. My concern about option 1) though is whether they will fit the Lubix LC1 earbuds (some Amazon reviewers complained that there was too much bass with the EarJams, but perhaps I could adjust the EQ on the Lubix LC1 to compensate). According to Griffin's website, the EarJams are compatible with most iPod model earbuds and may/may not fit other manufacturers earbuds. Do you have a compass/caliper in which you could use to measure the depth of curvature and diameter of the Lubix LC1 earbuds read against a metric ruler? If so, I could compare those measurements against that of my iPod mini earbuds to see if ordering the Griffin EarJams is even an option. If not, it should make my decision process much easier

Thanks in advance!
    I have #1, not that fit LC1 (loose), and it often falls off

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast