Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Will my handset lacking the 850 MHz band work on the at&t/Cingular network?

Phones
    lg cu500 6230 b, 6682
    Moto V600, Moto v551, p 280
    Nokia 3590, 3595
    Carriers
    Cingular
    6340 gait
    Feedback Score
    here in the okc area, 850 is all we got, so far. and no 3g.
    eight years on hofo, n00b.

Trollers suck!
    IWDCP Sergeant

Phones
    Moto Droid X
    Moto Droid X rooted on Pageplus
    Moto Droid 2 (wifes)
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    But what's the default when 850and 1900 are both available in an area. If I have my Blackjack in Auto network mode it picks up 850 at my work(Anaheim- very populated). But if I force it to 1900 it has full bars as well. Which is considered better if both are available and if 1900 is, I am woindering why my phone wouldn't pick it up as the preferred band.

Phones
    Current: AT&T Tilt, moto v9
    Retired: Blackberry 8310, Pantech duo, nokia n75,Blackberry 8800
    ATT 8525,Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    co in the cleveland are it shows no 850 till about midway down the state so in cleveland it wouldnt matter?

Phones
    Primary: iPhone 2G
    Others: Nokia E61, 6120 classic, 3250, 6126, 1110i, Samsung A117, Unlocked Danger Sidekick 3
    Carriers
    Current: AT&T (ball & chain and GoPhone), United Mobile, SingTel;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biofilter69
    co in the cleveland are it shows no 850 till about midway down the state so in cleveland it wouldnt matter?
    If you're looking at those maps from GSM World, then I would advise you to stop looking at them, for they are not accurate. If you really want a phone that is lacking 850 MHz, you are welcomed to do so, but nobody can guarantee how well it will work.
    char triple seven

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar1969
    But what's the default when 850and 1900 are both available in an area. If I have my Blackjack in Auto network mode it picks up 850 at my work(Anaheim- very populated). But if I force it to 1900 it has full bars as well. Which is considered better if both are available and if 1900 is, I am woindering why my phone wouldn't pick it up as the preferred band.
    Technically, 850 will pick up first, as it is typically 'stronger' (i.e. better dBm rating, with everything else being equal, will cause it to be used). Also, everything isn't equal. AT&T has most of Cell A band (25MHz) to dedicate to GSM (lets say 20MHz). On the PCS (1900MHz) band, AT&T is using 10MHz (min. for UMTS), and PCS D band for GSM (10MHz).
    Not all areas use both bands. Some areas here in So-Cal (Stevenson's Ranch, Canyon Country) have some smaller sites that are using GSM 850 ONLY.

That gives GSM 850 a 2:1 capacity advantage, and typically your phone will lock onto it because of its signal.
    I.e. on my old Motorola V505, I would almost always end up on GSM 850.
    If you're looking for 'less used' spectrum, jump onto 1900 MHz. I think its used more for capacity overflow right now. I will end up on GSM 1900 when I force my Motorola to EFR or AMR-full rate codecs.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    at&t runs both in NYC (at least my 6680 showed)
    however, it's 1900 in Fort Jackson, SC (when roamed, used 6230 US version)

Phones
    I880 Nextel
    Razr v3r/x/xx Cingular/AT&T
    LG 6000 Verizon Retired
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Verizon Retired
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileSlider
    I live in Omaha, Ne and they ONLY use the 1900 band here.

I still use my N75 which is quad band, but some cities don't even utilize 850 anymore.

I used an LG phone without 850 for several months without any major problems. Sure I would drop a call occasionally, but that still holds true with my N75 that is quad band.

You are absolutely correct and because of the interference with police bands cell phones are going higher in frequency bands. So who knows. I have a V3x and it works fine in the DC area. If you have a scanner go to the frequency and check for signal in that range. I don't believe than 850 is the ticket that it used to be. But it is best to always have more frequency ranges available in your phone.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    HTC Passion (Google Nexus One) (backup)
    Nokia N95-3 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwolves
    You are absolutely correct and because of the interference with police bands cell phones are going higher in frequency bands. So who knows. I have a V3x and it works fine in the DC area. If you have a scanner go to the frequency and check for signal in that range. I don't believe than 850 is the ticket that it used to be. But it is best to always have more frequency ranges available in your phone.
    The SMR 850 spectrum (Nextel) got relocated to make room for emergency services, but the cellular 850 spectrum isn't going anywhere.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    HTC Passion (Google Nexus One) (backup)
    Nokia N95-3 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck
    If you're looking for 'less used' spectrum, jump onto 1900 MHz. I think its used more for capacity overflow right now. I will end up on GSM 1900 when I force my Motorola to EFR or AMR-full rate codecs.
    What happens when you go out of 1900 coverage and your phone can only use EFR or AMR-FR? Will you start using EFR/AMR-FR on GSM 850 or will the call just drop?

Phones
    32GB iPhone 3GS
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    HTC Fuze
    Carriers
    AT&T (Current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223
    What happens when you go out of 1900 coverage and your phone can only use EFR or AMR-FR? Will you start using EFR/AMR-FR on GSM 850 or will the call just drop?
    Bumping this because I'd like an answer to it as well.
    My settings for tethering a Motorola V3xx on AT&T to a Mac using OS X Leopard (10.5.5) via USB.
    Finally free from Verizon's bad-phone-UI & neutered phone penitentiary!

Phones
    SE Xperia X1i, iPhone 3G 16gb
    Sold: SE P1i, HTC TyTn, Nokia N95 8gb
    Retired: Nokia 8290, Motorola V3, SLVR, RAZR V3i, Sony Ericsson w810i,
    Carrier
    Cingular (is now the new ATT)
    Feedback Score
    The best thing to do is to buy any tri band phone at comp usa or fry's electronics and if it doesn't work return it. If it does then you can still return it and buy a tri band phone online with confidence. That way you don't have to hassle with online returns.

Feedback Score
    850 wasnt implemented until recently like within the past few years and before that it was all 1900 so the network was decent. so if you had a 1900 only phone you would be getting the same network that cingular had up until around 2003, when was the frist 850 towers introduced?

-- as REAL as it gets as REAL as can be and just keeping it REAL -- 4EVER
    My Feedback

Phones
    Others: Nokia E61, 6120 classic, 3250, 6126, 1110i, Samsung A117, Unlocked Danger Sidekick 3
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by REAL
    850 wasnt implemented until recently like within the past few years and before that it was all 1900 so the network was decent. so if you had a 1900 only phone you would be getting the same network that cingular had up until around 2003, when was the frist 850 towers introduced?
    Yeah, but they're taking out a lot of the 1900 spectrum for UMTS and HSDPA. When I use my sans-850 phone, I've noticed a dramatic deterioration of coverage since AT&T flipped the switch on 3G in my area in October.

Feedback Score
    well if you have a 1900 only phone you probably be getting superior coverage with tmobile instead of att

Phones
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by REAL
    well if you have a 1900 only phone you probably be getting superior coverage with tmobile instead of att
    Stating the obvious...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast