Thread: Sync (A707) red screen of death

Phones
    Samsung Sync (A707)
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Sync (A707) red screen of death

So...despite the loud warnings of men's magazines, I dropped my Samsung Sync in the toilet. 'Nuf said.

But after drying it off and reassembling it, it booted up fine and everything was looking good, until I shut the clamshell. The exterior screen was artifacting, and then I opened it and the interior screen was artifacting too, so I pulled the battery. After waiting ten seconds and putting the battery back, the phone wouldn't turn on. The button LEDs would light, but that was it.

After playing with it for a few mins--power cycling and removing the battery--I inserted the battery one last time and instantly the screen went all red, with the exterior screen displaying "Download". From my experience with Motorola triplets (as well as the key combo * + # + power) I know this to be the bootloader screen.

My question is: now what? Whenever I insert the battery the phone automatically and instantly goes to the RSOD, without me even pressing a single button. Is there a way to exit this screen? Have I destroyed the ROM? And if so, is there a way for me to reflash the phone, like you can do with Motos?

Thanks so much, this has been a huge headache since we all know no company will replace a phone that has been dropped in water!

Phones
    Samsung Sync (A707)
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Bump?

Please help!

Phones
    Motorola E815
    Samsung Blackjack (Coming Soon!)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Friend of mine had the same problem -- turned out all of the componants hadnt finished drying yet. I would say leave it set with the battery out for another day and see if that helps. If not, then I guess the only thing to try is to download a copy of the sync firmware and reinstall it on your phone.

Phones
    Samsung Sync (A707)
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply, Someone.

I guess I really should have mentioned: After ignoring the phone entirely for somewhere b/t 24 - 48 hours, it booted up flawlessly. I used it for another two days, until today I stupidly listened to an AT&T rep and turned the phone off, and now I'm back to the RSOD. This further validates my theory that there isn't anything mechanically wrong with the phone, but it's somehow stuck in the bootloader mode.

Any ideas, anybody?

Phones
    Samsung Sync (A707)
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I removed the battery yesterday and left it alone for some long, but indeterminate time (maybe 8 hrs). After this time, reassembled the phone, and it booted up. So I think the problem is thus: the phone will only boot up after all the charge leaves the device and it resets itself (probably b/c of the water issue), however a capacitor or similar retains charge for approx 8 hrs. Therefore, if ever the phone is turned off, the battery must be removed and the phone left disassembled for about 8 hrs, before it will turn on properly.

Phone
    Moto V400
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    My Sync went through the wash in the pocket of my shorts.

I took the entire phone apart and dried each component with a hair dryer. I let it sit for 2 days and tried to and am running into the same message.

Main screen is pure red and the outer screen says "DOWNLOAD."

Where would I get the Sync firmware and how would I install it?

Phones
    PPC6800 Alltel/cricket
    PPC6700 Alltel/Cricket
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I have the same issue I was wondering if anyone found anything that they have had much (or any) luck with. I would like to try loading the firmware into the phone. Or any other semi compatible firmware. Thanks in advance