Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 4
    Motorola Defy
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by servoisgod
    Sorry, what is cutting edge about it? Please do not say the whole touch screen functionality because there really isn't anything that hasn't already been done.

Also, I'm not trying to start anything...i really do want to know what you consider cutting edge with this deivce? Because there isn't anything "new" about this device that I couldn't point back at some software that has been out already.

Thanks,
    Aaron

As a guy who owns both the Blackjack and the iPhone, let me tell you there is a lot that is cutting edge about the iPhone. Yes the touch screen is amazing because it finally "just works" everything thing is integrated and flows nearly perfectly from the standpoint of the user. What Apple has done to the music player, they've now done to the smart phone.

Also the use of accceleromters and proximity dectectors in a phone is really a first.

Now from a greener pastures standpoint, I was one of the gadget guys that changes phones every six months. I doubt I will be changing again until the iPhone version two hits.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 4
    Motorola Defy
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ponda baba
    wm phones can stream youtube using simple third party apps, and not just in the limited iphone format. the iphone only has access to a fraction of youtube's vids. tcpmp is miles ahead of what the iphone offers in media playback, as it includes multiple aspect ratios, rotation, eq, color and contrast adjust, zoom, etc. etc. etc.
    I am a huge windows mobile fan and love the blackjack. I have colleagues that have the dash and the 8525 and WM is good experience that is getting better....But to compare that experience to the iPhone at least for the masses is not even close to a fair fight.

Sure WM can do amazing things, with a lot of tweaks and third party programs and the knowledge of someone that understands how to install and make it all work, and then also understands multimedia file formats etc. But that just took a large percentage of users away. The out of the box experience with WM is good but the out of box experience of the iPhone is awe inspiring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by servoisgod
    Sorry, what is cutting edge about it? Please do not say the whole touch screen functionality because there really isn't anything that hasn't already been done.

Also, I'm not trying to start anything...i really do want to know what you consider cutting edge with this deivce? Because there isn't anything "new" about this device that I couldn't point back at some software that has been out already.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    -Visual Voicemail
    -Multi-Touch
    -OSX
    -Coverflow
    -Real web browsing experience.
    -8GB Drive (+++)
    -Accelerometer
    -Proximity Sensor

This is to name a few. Try adding 5 people to a conference call on your present phone. Or even switching from a call to your home screen to choose another app, look up a contact, whatever and get back to the call. Try dropping one person off of your conference without disconnecting everyone. When was the last time you had Movies, days of music and 1000+ pictures on your phone of family, friends, vacations, etc. As a convergent device it's without peer.

There's so much about the ease of use of the iPhone that you just have to experience. Even switching from output devices (headset, speakerphone, iPhone) is a breeze. I can hook my phone up to my car with an FM transmitter, when a call comes it fades out, I take the call and upon hanging up, the music turns on and back up where I left off. I don't know of a Blackberry that can do that.
    Blu PhiiiiiiPhi Beta Sigma Till the Day I Die...

Phones
    iPhone
    BB Curve
    v635
    Carriers
    at&t
    deanfx@gmail.com
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ponda baba
    wm phones can stream youtube using simple third party apps, and not just in the limited iphone format. the iphone only has access to a fraction of youtube's vids. tcpmp is miles ahead of what the iphone offers in media playback, as it includes multiple aspect ratios, rotation, eq, color and contrast adjust, zoom, etc. etc. etc.

I was using tcmp when the treo 650 first came out, so I know its capabilities. I still had lockups and reboots because of it lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanFX4u
    I was using tcmp when the treo 650 first came out, so I know its capabilities. I still had lockups and reboots because of it lol.
    I don't think you really do know it's capabilities from the way you're describing it. I'm talking about the core player tcpmp. Maybe on the treo it was bad but on the dash its smooth as butter and I really do not understand all the people who think its so hard to install apps? Its a program you drag to the phone and run, thats it. And since it runs pretty much every format you throw at it, it's much easier to get stuff to run, rather than having to convert everything to one format like with the iPhone.

I'd hate to see some of you have to install an app on the iPhone. Time for the genius bar I guess.

Talking about experiences with the Dash here and it seems the ones I am responding to are using treos and bbs, so I guess thats the confusion. The Dash/HTC Excalibur has worked like a charm for me.

Phones
    At&T 8525
    IPhone
    Carrier
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    The which is better arguement gets a little silly doesn't it?
    I love both my Wm6 turbo charged 8525 and EQUALLY love my Iphone for very different reasons. I have both cause I appreciate what each can do that the other might not......but.....gotta say....I've spent much more of my time on the Iphone....cause its just freakin' COOL!

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 32GB-black
    iPhone 3g 16GB-black
    iPhone 8GB gen one
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well that is the crux of the iPhone argument. If a device is fun to use you can't exactly put that on the spec sheet. Look at the Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii on paper is destroyed by the 360 and the PS3 and yet the Wii is turning into a juggernaut. The same goes for the DS vs the PSP. The DS is outclassed by the PSP spec wise but the DS slaughters the PSP anyway in sales. Sure these comparisons here are flawed as the Nintendo products are cheaper but you have 360 and PS3 fanboys who rip the Wii all day long but just don't get that people like the Wii and its fun new interface and no matter how superior the specs of their system of choice is the proof is in the using. Fun to use is not an easily quantifiable feature.

Feedback Score
    Not only does the iPhone have "fun" factor but it really is so easy and fast to use that you end up using it more often and faster than other phones. On my old phone just to get to the calculator took at least 3 times longer than on the iPhone because of the navigation of menus and buttons. It may not sound like a lot of a few seconds here and a few there just makes it better. Granted, my old phone wasn't a Smartphone but that was just an example. I end up checking weather, email, etc. very often on the iPhone just because its so dang easy.

If the iPhone could be configured to always be unlocked it would be even faster (I carry mine in a case so having to unlock it is just a drag).

Phones
    Nokia N97
    HTC Touch HD
    Sony Xperia X1i
    Carrier
    Tmobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Standog
    -Visual Voicemail
    -Multi-Touch
    -OSX
    -Coverflow
    -Real web browsing experience.
    -8GB Drive (+++)
    -Accelerometer
    -Proximity Sensor

This is to name a few. Try adding 5 people to a conference call on your present phone. Or even switching from a call to your home screen to choose another app, look up a contact, whatever and get back to the call. Try dropping one person off of your conference without disconnecting everyone. When was the last time you had Movies, days of music and 1000+ pictures on your phone of family, friends, vacations, etc. As a convergent device it's without peer.

There's so much about the ease of use of the iPhone that you just have to experience. Even switching from output devices (headset, speakerphone, iPhone) is a breeze. I can hook my phone up to my car with an FM transmitter, when a call comes it fades out, I take the call and upon hanging up, the music turns on and back up where I left off. I don't know of a Blackberry that can do that.
    WoW! I never knew that you could hook the iphone to a fm transmitter and use it to take a call in the car. My N95 works a bit different though because it allows me to connect to my car via bluetooth. I can control the music while the phone is in my bag and when a call comes in, the music fades in/out accordingly. After reading your post, I wonder if it is even worth it to use the ancient A2DP on the N95 or should I move over to the innovative iphone so I could use it with a fm transmitter!

Phones
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Page Plus: Palm Pixi +
    AT&T:HP Pre3
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hard_core
    was there ever a cell phone that could play a movie?
    Well, my Treo 755P can play movies and You Tube out of the box. No 3rd party apps needed. Not only that, I can load media on as many 4GIG mini SD's as I want. I am not limited to the internal memory.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 32GB-black
    iPhone 3g 16GB-black
    iPhone 8GB gen one
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruth1983
    After reading your post, I wonder if it is even worth it to use the ancient A2DP on the N95 or should I move over to the innovative iphone so I could use it with a fm transmitter!
    No the A2DP is a newer Bluetooth standard, you should probably stick to that so you can leave it in your purse like you do now. FM transmitters are just common iPod accessories so people like them and can use them even if they have a car not equipped with BT, which is pretty much the majority of them at this point. The iPhone does work with with BT equipped cars however.

Phones
    Nokia N97
    HTC Touch HD
    Sony Xperia X1i
    Carrier
    Tmobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryNY
    No the A2DP is a newer Bluetooth standard, you should probably stick to that so you can leave it in your purse like you do now. FM transmitters are just common iPod accessories so people like them and can use them even if they have a car not equipped with BT, which is pretty much the majority of them at this point. The iPhone does work with with BT equipped cars however.
    Since the iphone works with BT equipped cars, would I be able to control the music on my car stereo or would I have to control it on the iphone?

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 32GB-black
    iPhone 3g 16GB-black
    iPhone 8GB gen one
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thetruth1983
    Since the iphone works with BT equipped cars, would I be able to control the music on my car stereo or would I have to control it on the iphone?
    I don't know the answer to that. I have no experience with using the BT on the iPhone other than with a simple headset. I don't think it can stream music over BT currently though.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would like to add my opinions to this thread as well. My phone list over the last 3 years includes the following:

PDA2K/Windows Mobile
    iMate Jam/Windows Mobile
    iMate JasJar/Windows Mobile
    iMate Jamin/Windows Mobile
    Cingular 8125/Windows Mobile
    Cingular 8525/Windows Mobile
    Cingular 3125/Windows Mobile
    Samsung Blackjack/Windows Mobile
    Treo 750V/Windows Mobile
    Nokia N95/Symbian S60
    Nokia E90/Symbian S60
    Apple iPhone/Mac OS

I have spend a couple of thousand on software on these phones also. I will give my two cents on the good and bad of these operating systems.

Windows Mobile:
    Good-
    1.Thousands of 3rd party apps available
    2.Great at multitasking
    3.Uses familiar Windows interface
    4.Easily tweaked and hacked

Bad-
    1.Lockups and random reboots
    2.Program memory issues
    3.Too many different screen orientations may cause problems when upgrading to different model when it comes to transferring programs from one phone to another
    4.Call quality is the worst of the 3 systems
    5.Touch screens are easily scratched/broken on these devices
    6.Easily tweaked and hacked
    7.Battery life

Symbian S60
    Good-
    1.Many 3rd party apps available that are freeware. I spent a total of $100 on software for my Symbian device when it cost me nearly $1000 for the same type of programs on Windows Mobile.
    2.Build quality is on par with iPhone
    3.Call quality is the best
    4.Safari like browser is very nice compared to Pocket Internet Explorer.
    5.PC Suite is awesome for syncing media
    Bad-
    1.Battery life not bad but can be better
    2.Different screen orientations can cause incompatibiliy with purchased programs when moving from one phone to another
    3.The phone manufacturers are primarily outside of the U.S. making warranty issues a little bit of a pain

Apple iPhone
    Good-
    1.Very easy to use..VERY EASY! Within a couple of hours you should know all you need to know.
    2.Amazing build quality, very classy timeless design
    3.8mb of memory available
    4.The best media experience to date on a mobile phone
    5.Great battery life
    6.Great possibilities with software using Mac OS system
    Bad-
    1.No expandable memory
    2.No replaceable battery
    3.Terrible external speakers (compared to other systems in my experience)
    4.Ringer Volume and in call/speaker phone volume not great
    5.No freakin voice recorder for quick audio note taking...I desperately need this

With all this being said, the #1 reason I am going to stick with the iPhone is because of the money I will be saving. With the other two systems, I felt like I would be always having to upgrade to the next phone that offered something new. I can easily justify spending $600 a year on the next iPhone compared to the $5000 or more I spend on upgrading devices using the other system. The #2 reason for me keeping the iPhone is because everything it does it does flawlessly and it never ever freezes...ever! Finally, the #3 reason is because it just LOOKS GOOD!

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 32GB-black
    iPhone 3g 16GB-black
    iPhone 8GB gen one
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I found this: bmw-3-series-and-iphone-compatibility

Which shows BMW did some impressive integration work for the iPod/iPhone with their own iDrive computer system. The page says it is fully functional with BT but I think this may be more to do with phone functions. It seems that for full musical use and playlists etc. to be displayed on the BMW LCD you need to be plugged into an iPod connector in the armrest. The good thing about this is having the phone plugged in keeps you charged up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast