Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTC Smartphones

Feedback Score

HTC Smartphones

Hi

I've been into to a good few websites looking at the HTC products. I am so confused. There are so many of them. Kaiser, TYTN, Touch, Excalibur....and the list goes on. I can't seem to get my hands on a price list, list of all the products, comparisons between the various names in terms of size, hardware, prices, advantages, disadvanges (if there are any!).

Do HTC products sell under the HTC name or under other product names?

Thanks

Brian

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can buy HTC phones, but they also sell them under Dopod and CHT, plus they rebrand them to carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile and now Sprint.

For example that excaliber you mention is the T-Mobile Dash rebranded.

There are a lot of online stores where you can buy HTC phones.

www.CTINYC.com
    www.CTI-Miami.com
    www.egagdetdepot.com
    www.dweiniger.com
    www.smart-mobile-gadgets.com
    www.mobileplanet.com
    www.expansys.com

I can keep going if you would like.
    @Maevro

Feedback Score
    Maervo

Hi. Thanks for your input. Are they as good as they write. Do they have bugs and things like, for instance, Sony Ericsson's P110i? Don't like to make comparisons, but when it came out this was the next best thing to Granma's cherry pie. A while down the way it's full of bugs and problems. Are there any problems of, let's say, screen freezing up and having to soft reset at least once a day? Or battery or memory leakage? These are things that I have read happens to other Smartophones. I really don't know much about HTC.

Thanks

Brian

The HTC's seem to be packed with everything

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    yes htcs are very good phones and there genrally packed with a lot of stuff and the latest if i may add. there very relieble... i have been a HTC fan for about 2 years and dont have complaints

Feedback Score
    Thanks Neil. Bit of a turnaround don't you think?

Brian

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Freezing and whatnot has little to do with HTC, and everything to do with Windows Mobile. I never heard of them before I got the Dash, and now I've had 3 from HTC. Very good devices.
    I don't subscribe to threads. If you've got something to say to me, PM.

Device(s)
    myTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA .:l (Full Bars) Small Biz 1000 Plan /
    Feedback Score
    HTC makes a great product. I've been using a 5600 (Audiovox/AT&T rebranded) for years now.

Best phone I have owned!

Wing Downloads (Ringtones, Themes, Software, T-Zones Settings)
    T-Zones Settings (Microsoft Smartphone)

1000 Post 07/22/05 @ 07:46AM

Feedback Score

HTC continued

Hi again

More questions to you about HTC and in general:

- What's with the TouchFlo? Has it actually hit the market? With all the bugs and all that one hears about other revolutionary ideas, is it a good idea to buy one? Why not wait for it to work out the bugs and buy something further down the line? By then it has either strengthed or fallen by the wayside.

- About buying Smartphones, Pocket PC's and HTC in particular over the internet? Is it a good idea to buy one from a website? What about transport overseas? In particular to the Middle East? Does HTC have an international warranty and insurance once the warranty has expired? HTC may have an agent in Israel. If not, what do I do if it needs repair work, etc?

Do you know of any shops in the UK and the US that stock HTC?

Thanks for allowing me to pick your brains, guys.

Feedback Score
    Hi again,

Question about the HTC's. Why do they have such small processors as opposed to Pocket PC's? It's 201 MHz as opposed to 400 MHz? Is this normal with all Smartphones?

Thanks again.

Brian

Device(s)
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Some of their phones, the AT&T/Cingular 8525 for example, do have 400MHz processors.

I think the choice is made because of battery life. The difference in performance for an average user will be minimal, but the battery life is significantly extended with a slightly lesser processor. The brand new TMobile Wing has the 200MHz processor, and is actually newer (to the US market) than the 8525.

Most HTC devices can be overclocked, if you so wish. The procedures are discussed on this forum, and others. I'll let you do the search.

-- Chuck Knight

Device(s)
    cingular 3125
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Some of the 'new and upcoming' Smartphones (i.e. WM Standard) will also have 400mhz CPUs like their PPC (i.e WM Pro) counterparts. The HTC Wings/Juno, Erato, and a few others I seem to recall are all 400mhz devices. But the battery life (as mentioned) will suffer somewhat in the trade-off to get better performance. Unless you really want blazing performance, overclocking a 200mhz CPU works really well on most of these devices and will more than compensate for the lack of speed @ 200mhz.

Regarding the whole purchase process. First, pretty much anything you buy in the US that is NOT carrier branded (i.e. HTC, Qtek, Dopod) will carry some kind of warranty, but getting coverage under it may or may not be easy. There used to be only 2 authorized distributors of HTC products here in the US, that may be down to 1 now, I seem to recall something in the news about that recently. And if the retailer/e-tailer isn't dealing w/ those distributors and/or promising to handle any warranty related issues w/ your device, you may have to deal w/ overseas shipping and associated costs. Just something to consider and get clarification on when you are buying.

My recommendation would be, if at all possible, to buy a carrier branded device.

Chris

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

HTC's are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianGM
    Hi again

More questions to you about HTC and in general:

- What's with the TouchFlo? Has it actually hit the market? With all the bugs and all that one hears about other revolutionary ideas, is it a good idea to buy one? Why not wait for it to work out the bugs and buy something further down the line? By then it has either strengthed or fallen by the wayside.

- About buying Smartphones, Pocket PC's and HTC in particular over the internet? Is it a good idea to buy one from a website? What about transport overseas? In particular to the Middle East? Does HTC have an international warranty and insurance once the warranty has expired? HTC may have an agent in Israel. If not, what do I do if it needs repair work, etc?

Do you know of any shops in the UK and the US that stock HTC?

Thanks for allowing me to pick your brains, guys.
    I just bought an HTC P3300 and I love it! Very smooth. It's only 200Mhz but it still does everything will. I have installed the battery status program to overclock it and it's every bit as fast as my old 400Mhz PPC.

HTC has a pretty good reputation as far as service goes. I haven't heard of too many nightmare stories. However, You'll need to research whatever phone you want to buy for problems. The new phones are pretty solid but some of the older phones have issues. The P3300 has been out for about a year now and didn't have any reported common issues. However there was an storage card corruption issue, but it was fixed by an official patch from HTC. Since then, no recurring issues. That was important to me.

Also, my wife has had a rebranded HTC phone (MDA) for a year now and it has not given us any trouble at all. It has preformed well and was the main reason I was set on getting an HTC phone before any other.
    Last edited by shawndh; 08-24-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: adding

Feedback Score

HTC Touch and P3600 (Trinity)

Hi

A carry-on from my previous questions.

If I want to install 3rd Party programmes like the Ilium e-Wallet, etc would that slow the Touch down, with the 200Mhz processor?

What's with HTC Trinity? How's that as an alternative to the Touch? OK, so I'll do away with the Touch Flo. I'm a bit sceptical of this new technology and the 200Mhz processor, anyway. Also, having another battery as a backup if the existing one of the 416Mhz processor has to be charged more than the 200Mhz processor's battery? Isn't it? Does a fully-charged battery kept seperately loose power over a period of time?

What's with the Trinity the Cellphone PPC interface? Any problem with screen freezing? I just don't like to be kept out in the cold having to soft-reset.

Thanks

Brian

Device(s)
    BB Bold (daily)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (US)
    Feedback Score
    Battery life is use-dependent. If you use your device a lot, you will use up more battery. We may have the same device but if you use it more than I do, then you'll need to recharge sooner. Determine your level of use before making a decision. I have the Touch. Use it to receive and rply to emails, limited to no internet usage, no games, make 5-10 calls a day and charge it every other day. I'm not a power user. I'm happy with mu 201mHz Touch but would get the NIKE when it comes out because I want 3G. If the Touch had 3G I would not even change.

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    You might like pdadb.net - they have reasonably current specs on all sorts of secret phones Make sure to pull up the detail specs on each.

There was a LOT of talk about the HTC S630 vs the Dopod C730 (same phone, different branding, and REALLY confusing numbering since there are other devices with too similar numbers). Apparently there was a text entry problem, very serious to folks who used the function it occurred on (not all text entry). I'm not sure which unit has/had it. Search for this is you want to read some stories of a vendor seemingly ignoring a rather strange and serious problem. That said, I have an HTC Tmobile Dash and love it. I tried a Sprint Mogul, and did not like the slider form, though it took several days to realize it, but aside from that and the battery not lasting even a full day of doing nothing, I liked it. I am not an early-adopter of technology typically, and that has served me well. You sound the same. The other thing is, if you send a phone back to Taiwan or if a company does it for you, the only real difference I see aside from the shipping cost is possibly the company will have a replacement for you, but frankly, I doubt it. I may be wrong, but I don't think I've seen anyone advertising loaners! Good luck!

Btw, if you are inclined towards the Smartphone QWERTY type, find the specs on the upcoming HP IPAQs new lines - the 900 series (910?912?914? and add 'c' for camera version) appear to have absolutely everything including probably AT&T branding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast