Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HTC Smartphones

Feedback Score
    are all the phones in the websites listed UNLOCKED? or only the ones they state.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond2 T5353, HTC HD2 8585
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianGM
    Hi

I've been into to a good few websites looking at the HTC products. I am so confused. There are so many of them. Kaiser, TYTN, Touch, Excalibur....and the list goes on. I can't seem to get my hands on a price list, list of all the products, comparisons between the various names in terms of size, hardware, prices, advantages, disadvanges (if there are any!).

Do HTC products sell under the HTC name or under other product names?

Thanks

Brian
    Two very good places to start are PDAdb.net and GSM Arena. Both sites have extensive technical details of HTC mobile phones, allow you to compare features between models, and at GSM Arena, read user experiences.

HTC mobile phones are available as HTC branded, GSM only, and carrier branded, GSM and CDMA, devices. The advantage with going carrier branded of course is price: carrier branded devices can cost 25% or less than the equivalent unlocked HTC branded device, and carriers usually add software extras that may be important to you. On the downside, carriers sometimes disable features like GPS or leave off features entirely like WiFi. When going with a carrier phone it's important to realize the device may not include all the features of the HTC branded phone.

The Touchflo UI was introduced with the original GSM Touch about a month before the iPhone went on sale. Touchflo runs on top of Windows Mobile 6 and provides enhanced access to phone and multimedia features. Touchflo isn't a replacement for WM6, you don't have to use Touchflo if you don't want to, and certain features are still only available through the WM6 UI.

I've found the WM6 OS very stable, though occasionally I have to do a hard reset. HTC phones are really small PC's for which there's a huge amount of third party applications available. The phone's stability and battery performance will depend greatly on personal settings and the applications you run on it. If you use an HTC phone as just a phone, stability and battery life will be excellent.

Finally, keep this in mind when looking at the various HTC offerings: they're basically identical under the hood. For a generation of phones, HTC standardizes on a basic platform and then dresses it up differently for specific models. The current HTC platform of choice is the Qualcomm MSM7200 (for GSM) and MSM7500 (for CDMA) chip sets. Also, HTC has mostly standardized on 16-bit electroluminescent-backlit QVGA displays, arguably the weakest hardware feature of HTC smart phones. So it's the other features that should decide which phone to get, like keyboard, keypad, or Touchflo, or WiFi or no-Wifi, etc.
    Last edited by turley; 11-14-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time. And it's a long story. Thanks to all your input I decided on the HTC Trinity. And I decided to buy it through a website www.easydevices.co.uk. Bought it on the strength that it was in stock and paid BP6 for next day delivery to an address in the UK. Then came an email to say that there would be a slight delay- still coming from the suppliers & like to wait for a few orders before sending them. Assured me that it would arrive. After 3 phone calls and similar excuses it turned out that after a week of waiting I would still not get it. And, now: Wait for it. The reason was actually that the Trinity was being fazed out. It was going to be discontinued. Since this was Wednesday and my friend was flying out from the UK to meet me on Thursday there was no way that I would get it.

From requests to send it by courier on their account (with the possiblity of being slapped with an extra expense of BP150 import duty plus 15% VAT) to threats of going to consumer rights organisations in the UK I finally had to accept defeat and cancel the order.

I am pissed off. Really pissed off. I was so looking forward to the Trinity. If you have gotten so far. Pleae go on. What now? Is this true of the Trinity being discontinued? How can I believe these companies when they say that the phones are in stock and they're not? When there is no mention of discontinueing the phone?

Help me guys. I need your support.

Thanks

Brian

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Brian.

The Trinity is pretty old by smart phone standards, and yes, I believe it's being phased out. However, it still may be available through some dealers.

As far as discontinued model announcements go, don't expect HTC to make an announcement until there's some certainty that the retail channels are empty. Also, to reduce cost and risk, most retailers don't actually stock the products they sell, instead relying on large wholesale distributes and drop shippers. Unless a retailer is diligent in regularly checking on a product's availability, many are not, the true availability is only determined when the product is ordered.

It may sound like I'm defending the practice, but I'm not. At least many retailers have the courtesy not to charge me until an item ships. It's the ones that charge me right away then leave me in limbo as to the ship date that get my goat.

You probably can get a Trinity if you still want one. It may take a lot of leg work on Google though. Also, check PDAdb.net for every alias of the Trinity; you might find it available under another name. Finally, check eBay and other auction sites.

By the way, I just put an order in for the HTC Touch Cruise...

Feedback Score
    Turley

Thanks for your reply. This was my first real dealing with a internet purchase and a bit of a letdown. I'll be back on my feet again. The Touch Cruise looks great. Understand why you're clapping! I've actually being looking at the TyTN 11 as an alternative to the Trinity. That's a few good steps ahead. I have never had the slideout keyboard. Don't know what to expect. Never looked at the Cruise, but that looks like a good alternative if the slideout doesn't work for me.

It is important, therefore, to look closely at the introduction date? What is the average life span of a phone? What with replacement parts, service etc once a phone is about to be discontinued?

Thanks again,

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    A more logical successor to the Trinity might be the Eten Glofiish X800, looking just at features...

It's hard to say exactly when a particular product is being phased out. Obviously when the last of a particular model is gone from the retail shelves is the hard limit. I tend to look at carrier sites to see what they're still offering. Also, if a manufacturer such as HTC is introducing a pack of next-gen models, like the current MSM7200/7500 based models, you can bet the previous-gen models are on their way out. My feeling is that for bleeding-edge devices like smart-phones at most have a product life of 18 to 24 months. As for the operating life of a particular phone, they can last as long as you care to keep them and can still find batteries ...

No mobile phone is designed to be serviced. That's not to say you can find outfits that will do the work for an outrageous price. Occasionally, for popular phones, there are repair parts and kits available. However, be prepared for potentially delicate work! Practically, if you break it, replace it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro
    You can buy HTC phones, but they also sell them under Dopod and CHT, plus they rebrand them to carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile and now Sprint.

For example that excaliber you mention is the T-Mobile Dash rebranded.

There are a lot of online stores where you can buy HTC phones.

www.CTINYC.com
    www.CTI-Miami.com
    www.egagdetdepot.com
    www.dweiniger.com
    www.smart-mobile-gadgets.com
    www.mobileplanet.com
    www.expansys.com

I can keep going if you would like.

I would appreciate it if you could carry on...........

I have finally decided that I'd like the HTC 3600i. I went onto the site of mobileplanet and the phone will be "Ordered on Request" was written for Availability. In their website forum I put the question to the members what exactly the meaning of that phrase was. And, I quote: "In most cases read 'Ordered on Request' as 'We cant get them yet and dont know when we can'.".

I've been into the sites you mentioned above and mobileplanet is the only one that has it. That kind of scares me. Also, on their site it is mentioned that the Introduction date of the 3600i was August 2007 and www.pdadb.net the date is August 2006. What is going on? Whom are we meant to believe? I cancelled the purchase of the Trinity on a website in England. At first their excuse was it was taking long to deliver the phone from the distributors and the the truth surfaced that there was a strong possiblity that it was going to be discontinued.

Am I being too paranoid about it? Is this normally what happens until one finds the "right site" to do business with? Are there any reliable sites that I can deal with?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianGM
    I would appreciate it if you could carry on...........

I have finally decided that I'd like the HTC 3600i. I went onto the site of mobileplanet and the phone will be "Ordered on Request" was written for Availability. In their website forum I put the question to the members what exactly the meaning of that phrase was. And, I quote: "In most cases read 'Ordered on Request' as 'We cant get them yet and dont know when we can'.".

I've been into the sites you mentioned above and mobileplanet is the only one that has it. That kind of scares me. Also, on their site it is mentioned that the Introduction date of the 3600i was August 2007 and www.pdadb.net the date is August 2006. What is going on? Whom are we meant to believe? I cancelled the purchase of the Trinity on a website in England. At first their excuse was it was taking long to deliver the phone from the distributors and the the truth surfaced that there was a strong possiblity that it was going to be discontinued.

Am I being too paranoid about it? Is this normally what happens until one finds the "right site" to do business with? Are there any reliable sites that I can deal with?
    I couple of thoughts:

I think the PDAdb.net datasheet is in error; it should read an announcement date of August 2007. I didn't even know that there was a Trinity Plus; HTC doesn't list it on their site. GSMArena.com lists the correct date:

MobilePlanet was purchased awhile ago be eXpansys. Personal experience has led me to believe that now MobilePlanet is just a U.S. based shipping point for eXpansys because their delivery times on many items are just as bad as eXpansys, another retailer I've occasion to deal with in the past. Currently I have NC headphones on order at MobilePlanet; they were listed as in stock on the MobilePlanet web site. A MobilePlanet customer service representative told me a day after my order that the headphones would ship in a week as soon as eXpansys received stock. That was about a month ago and I haven't received the headphones yet. On the plus side, I haven't been charged yet either.

For more MobilePlanet feedback:

Update:

Literally less than five minutes after posting this reply I received an email from MobilePlanet that my headphones had shipped! A few weeks late but I'll take it.

Brian -

I did some additional searching for the Trinity Plus. As far as I can see, no one has it. I did find a couple of very reliable dealers that have the Trinity, like J&R for $599, but no Trinity Plus.
    Last edited by turley; 11-26-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Device(s)
    SMT 5600
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    HTC makes a great product. I've been using a 5600 (Audiovox/AT&T rebranded) for years now.

Best phone I have owned!

same goes for me. 5600 was way ahead of it's time. Best phone I've owned. If it had wifi and bluetooth 2.0 I wouldn't be looking to upgrade for a long time.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint -
    Feedback Score

Soliciting Thoughts

I had enjoyed the use of a SDA for nearly a year (two weeks shy) and given that the key/joystick input was showing signs of trouble I decided to do a warranty exchange; what a mistake!

The first replacement had a goofed screen, the second locked-up repeatedly and was terribly sluggish - same for the third and now I wish that I had never given up my original phone.

Did HTC and/or TMO do something to the hardware or software of the SDA to either save money or restrict those abusing services?

Note that I have less running on the replacement phones than I had on the original, everything is more streamlined yet the performance is terrible.

Memory leaks, frequent lock-ups, huge delays in the WM5 software response, etc.

What happened?!

I really wish to keep this style of phone (candy bar) and see that the closest new or current HTC phone is the s710 but this is not an option with TMO.

Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts/suggestions.

Best regards, Phonuzer

Feedback Score
    Replacements through carriers are most often refurbished products and the most closest HTC to the SDA would be something like the htc mteor/s310/ or 2g smartphone

Carrier(s)
    Sprint -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tarch
    Replacements through carriers are most often refurbished products and the most closest HTC to the SDA would be something like the htc mteor/s310/ or 2g smartphone
    Tarch, thanks for the reply; I'm familiar with both.

It seems as though the phones from HTC supported (offered as an option) by TMO are of the wider type and not something of the s710's shape and capabilities.
    I like Pop-Tarts but only for breakfast.

Feedback Score
    Just purchased my first HTC phone (One X), I'm soo inlove with it.. You should add this to your list
    ”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

Feedback Score
    With the advancement in the Smartphones features HTC also includes many advanced features in their latest Smartphones. I am also very fond of using HTC Smartphones and I have no complaints regarding any type of bug or other issues. I would suggest you to buy any HTC Smartphone according to your requirement and budget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2