Page 280 of 280 FirstFirst ... 180 230 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280
Results 4,186 to 4,198 of 4198

Thread: National 3G Maps

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    The realization I have come to lately is that no carrier map in the US is any good right now. Not AT&T's, not Sprint's, not T-Mobile's, and not Verizon's.

Some may be shocked by this conclusion, but if you're reading this and are shocked by it, then you may need to take some time to compare the maps the carriers put out to actual coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed.
    All shown as if it's flat plains with no trees, buildings, mountains, interference, and a 3 watt lte bagphone that doesn't exist.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Agreed.
    All shown as if it's flat plains with no trees, buildings, mountains, interference, and a 3 watt lte bagphone that doesn't exist.
    Ironic, considering the map used to be bigger.

...this country never really recovered from the Analog shutdown

If I was gonna be really brazen, I'd say dedicate a 5 MHz slice of 600 MHz (or buy back 450 MHz) to 1X-A.
    Dropped calls in 2015 is a disgrace.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    The realization I have come to lately is that no carrier map in the US is any good right now. Not AT&T's, not Sprint's, not T-Mobile's, and not Verizon's.

Some may be shocked by this conclusion, but if you're reading this and are shocked by it, then you may need to take some time to compare the maps the carriers put out to actual coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, though I think U.S. Cellular does a better job than most on their coverage maps. For our area, USCC is pretty spot on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeluscher159 View Post
    That one statement sums up nearly all the coverage problems that exist today. Analog was VERY forgiving and traveled a LONG way, and when it was shut down, the carriers never built the infrastructure that should have been built to insure that all the areas analog covered were still covered buy digital. Evidently the FCC never issued any rules and requirements in that regard either. 7 years after the analog shutdown we are still suffering the effects, but the carriers claim they cannot afford to build the necessary extra sites required to return coverage to those who lost it when analog was shut down. They can afford to buy carriers in other countries and satellite television broadcasters but they can't afford to cover all the territory they used to cover 8 years ago. And they still show those areas as served on their coverage maps, even though it may not exist at all or just be 2G/EDGE even though 4G/HSPA and LTE may be shown on the maps. I'm not just talking about covering one house 25 miles out in the boonies, either, there are whole towns still lacking service they used to have available under analog.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeluscher159 View Post
    Ironic, considering the map used to be bigger.

If I was gonna be really brazen, I'd say dedicate a 5 MHz slice of 600 MHz (or buy back 450 MHz) to 1X-A.
    Dropped calls in 2015 is a disgrace.
    I agree with 1X-A. I respect Sprint for keeping it around, and think it could make their voice network really shine if and when they fully deploy their network, if ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I agree, though I think U.S. Cellular does a better job than most on their coverage maps. For our area, USCC is pretty spot on.
    Their maps aren't updated very regularly though in some areas. There are sites that were built in West Virginia years ago and still aren't on the maps.

Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    That one statement sums up nearly all the coverage problems that exist today. Analog was VERY forgiving and traveled a LONG way, and when it was shut down, the carriers never built the infrastructure that should have been built to insure that all the areas analog covered were still covered buy digital. Evidently the FCC never issued any rules and requirements in that regard either. 7 years after the analog shutdown we are still suffering the effects, but the carriers claim they cannot afford to build the necessary extra sites required to return coverage to those who lost it when analog was shut down. They can afford to buy carriers in other countries and satellite television broadcasters but they can't afford to cover all the territory they used to cover 8 years ago. And they still show those areas as served on their coverage maps, even though it may not exist at all or just be 2G/EDGE even though 4G/HSPA and LTE may be shown on the maps. I'm not just talking about covering one house 25 miles out in the boonies, either, there are whole towns still lacking service they used to have available under analog.
    I can forgive Sprint and T-Mobile for not attempting to achieve analog-esque coverage, since they've stated that they have no plans to cover as much of the U.S. as Verizon and AT&T, because of the cost involved, but I'd expect AT&T, and especially Verizon, to try to cover as much of the country as they can, even for just voice coverage. I'm not sure that any of the current digital technologies can have the reach that AMPS had, especially not with the same amount of cell sites. I'm worried about "5G" and beyond, as the frequencies being used get higher and higher, the signals' reach will be shorter and shorter, forcing the carriers to deploy more cell sites and small cells, probably again leaving the rural areas left behind. I don't see a signal like Sprint's 2.5 GHz TD-LTE (Sprint Spark) traveling very far in the mountains of West Virginia. Verizon still doesn't have 3G in some large areas of the country, and it doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    There is simply no excuse for AT&T. If they can afford to buy DirecTV and 2 operators in Mexico, they can afford to upgrade every single one of their current US sites to 3G service. Of course that is assuming that adequate backhaul is available to do that, and there are cases where it isn't and probably never will be, so the next option is microwave if that is feasible. In the case of their site here, and at all the other sites in the former Dobson Cellular area they purchased, there is fiber available, from numerous providers, even AT&T themselves, so why they won't do it is a complete mystery. That fiber is already being used by other carriers on the same sites for LTE service, so why not compete, especially if you are selling data service to your competitors????

I am not going to worry or harp about it any more. Since Pioneer launched their LTE service here the other day, the last of the AT&T holdouts, a couple of whom I talked to yesterday who said they were going straight to the Pioneer store, will move on, leaving AT&T to just provide voice & text to travelers. There will be even less reason for AT&T to upgrade anything. Being with a carrier who doesn't offer data service at all when you are paying top dollar for it on your latest smartphone is just a waste of money. At least T-Mobile says they will have their system upgraded by the end of the year. They might even be cheaper. We will see.

Feedback Score
    There is simply no excuse for AT&T. If they can afford to buy DirecTV and 2 operators in Mexico, they can afford to upgrade every single one of their current US sites to 3G service. Of course that is assuming that adequate backhaul is available to do that, and there are cases where it isn't and probably never will be, so the next option is microwave if that is feasible. In the case of their site here, and at all the other sites in the former Dobson Cellular area they purchased, there is fiber available, from numerous providers, even AT&T themselves, so why they won't do it is a complete mystery. That fiber is already being used by other carriers on the same sites for LTE service, so why not compete, especially if you are selling data service to your competitors????

I am not going to worry or harp about it any more. Since Pioneer launched their LTE service here the other day, the last of the AT&T holdouts, a couple of whom I talked to yesterday who said they were going straight to the Pioneer store, will move on, leaving AT&T to just provide voice & text to travelers. There will be even less reason for AT&T to upgrade anything. Being with a carrier who doesn't offer data service at all when you are paying top dollar for it on your latest smartphone is just a waste of money. At least T-Mobile says they will have their system upgraded by the end of the year. They might even be cheaper. We will see.
    I'll be interested to see if that site is still active once 2017 rolls around, and AT&T will have shut down their 2G network. Maybe they're hoping all of their customers will have switched providers by then, and they'll be able to shut it down without anyone noticing, maybe to avoid a similar situation to when the roaming coverage was removed without warning in that area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless , AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well put! I happen to live in one of these towns. The coverage map says LTE and I can't even get a signal at all.

via the HoFo App

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I ran Sensorly and CellMapper on last week's vacation trip to Taos, here is a comparison of those reports to what AT&T shows LTE coverage to be on their coverage maps across the Oklahoma panhandle. There is a big difference, being quite a bit more LTE than they are showing on their coverage maps. There are no reports worth noting across New Mexico as the Plateau Wireless purchase has not been integrated into AT&T's system at all yet. AT&T's not showing the true extent of their LTE service in the panhandle contrasts with their gross over-estimation of LTE coverage in the main body of Oklahoma.

Attachment 129605

Feedback Score
    In which page can I see coverage for Swan Lake NY?

Sent from my MELROSE S9 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shelisheluch View Post
    In which page can I see coverage for Swan Lake NY?
    https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 3 (with FM Radio), iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How did you make the map?

Page 280 of 280 FirstFirst ... 180 230 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280