Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: do i get charged if i get a text message and i dont open it

Phone
    Boost i95cl Unlocked
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

do i get charged if i get a text message and i dont open it

Do i get charged if get a txt message and i dont open it?? searched couldnt find an answer

Phones
    Samsung i760
    Treo 750,700,650
    Samsung a990
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes I believed you get charged when you either send or receive txt msg's unless you have Unlimited.

Phones
    Nextel i860
    Nokia 3390
    Carriers
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Actually that sounds pretty correct to me, I mean it would make sense that you pay even if you don't open it.

Phones
    MotoRAZR
    Nextel i860
    Nextel i95c
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Trust me, you get charged. I have been woken up every day at 7AM with weather reports from Nextel (that I didnt ask for) I call every month and have the charges taken off but they are there the next month. I also get updates on all Dolphins games but I dont need those (nor did I ask for them) because I watch them on tv.

Phones
    HAD i930 2x - RETURNED/SOLD
    i870,i860, i830 - Silver/Bronze, i733 LE, i95cl LE, i90c LE
    SideKick 3/ sk LX on launch date 06/28/2006, 10/17/2007, SideKick II
    Carriers
    NEXTEL. Done. | = i860
    Feedback Score

Re: do i get charged if i get a text message and i dont open it

Originally posted by YzRiDaZ
    Do i get charged if get a txt message and i dont open it?? searched couldnt find an answer
    As I was told by a CSR from Nextel, you do not get charge for text messages if you do not open it and read the mail. There's no way of blocking text messages for now.
    PepsiCola

Phone(s):
    HAD i930 2x - RETURNED/SOLD, i870,i860, i830 Silver/Bronze, i733 LE, i95cl LE, i95cl, i90c LE, i90c, i85, i1000plus, SK LX Blue/Brown, SK 3, SK iD, Mr. Cartoon SKII, SK II & more

Indirect Dealer of Nextel, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and AT&T/Cingular

I am an indirect dealer of (Carrier), anything I say does not reflect (Carrier) or any parent, subsidary, or affiliate companies. My opinions should only be attributed to myself and no one else nor another group.

Phones
    i730 RWB SPECIAL
    i95 Blue White STOLEN
    Carrier
    SEXTEL
    Feedback Score
    I cant see how "nextel" knows whether you READ it or not....

cuz it goes across the system and is sent to your phone, and then they know THAT Much, I wouldnt imagine it sends a reciept back to say it was actually read...

I would assume its always charged

but i could be wrong

Phones
    HAD i930 2x - RETURNED/SOLD
    i870,i860, i830 - Silver/Bronze, i733 LE, i95cl LE, i90c LE
    SideKick 3/ sk LX on launch date 06/28/2006, 10/17/2007, SideKick II
    Carriers
    NEXTEL. Done. | = i860
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure how Nextel charges on text messages if you've read it or not but that's what I was told by a CSR.

Phones
    i730
    Lingo
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    If your simply talking about text messaging, then you are charged when you receive the message (whether you read it or not.) Only the person who receives the message is charged. Outside of any included text messages you have with your plan, the cost is $0.10 per page. Also, the chararcter limit for text pages is 140 characters, and if you send a longer message through nextel.com, the system will send it as two messages (and you will be billed for both.)

If you are receiveing a two-way message, then there is no per page cost, but rather a flat rate for all messages.
    There is no greater phone than the Lingo!

Phone
    Tręo 700p
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    a nextel rep told my friend that if he exited the text message as soon as he got it and went into messaging center and deleted it, they wouldn't charge him anything for the text message.

Feedback Score

wrongg

you dont get charged at all if you dont open it
    once you click on "read" then you get charged

Phones
    MotoRAZR
    Nextel i860
    Nextel i95c
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: wrongg

Originally posted by johanna
    you dont get charged at all if you dont open it
    once you click on "read" then you get charged

Tell that to the person making up my bill. Ive had that problem since I started with Nextel. I havent read a text message in 3 months. I still get charged for it. I dont even check on them anymore just delete them. They charge you as soon as you receive them.

Phone
    Tręo 700p
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    wat if u get a text message, and read it when theres no service and delete it before service is restored? Wat will happen then?

Phones
    i830 Bronze
    i730
    LG VX6000
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if you get charged or not but you shouldn't if you don't read it.

If that's the case somebody could run your bill up intentionally just by sending you a lot of messages. I don't know though
    From Nextel to Verizon......(free at last, free at last)
    *Update* Back to Nextel. Now why did I do a thing like that?

Phones
    iPhone
    Personal = iPhone 4s & Motorola Photon
    Work = iPhone 4 & MiFi JetPack
    Carriers
    Personal = Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by MorelloX
    I cant see how "nextel" knows whether you READ it or not....

cuz it goes across the system and is sent to your phone, and then they know THAT Much, I wouldnt imagine it sends a reciept back to say it was actually read...

I would assume its always charged

but i could be wrong
    Easily dont with a quick line of code. It could tell them that you opened it and not let you know that it's letting them know

Though, the correct answer to the original question is this:

Your phone receives a text message, you get billed (unless you have unlimited, or a pool and you go over that pool)...

Simply call them and say "turn it off or reverse all charges for incoming text messages". Since they can't turn it off, they will reverse the charges. They cannot bill you for something you wish to not have. And since text messaging is an optional feature (which they can't turn off) they can't legally bill you for it.. Kind of like if you didn't ask for voicemail, but they billed you for it.

I went down this road back when I first came on board with Nextel. Matter of fact I got my info (above) from a supervisor, so I'm fairly certain it's accurate. Though, now I have unlimimted two way (and one way) so I don't have to worry about this anymore... yay!

Phones
    i730
    Lingo
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Being a Customer Care trainer for the last two years, I know of no way to reverse the billing for text messages. I would say due to the anonymous nature of sending messages from nextel.com this would be impossible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast