Thread: ATT vs Verizon San Francisco Bay Area

Feedback Score

San Fransisco ATT vs Verizon San Francisco Bay Area

Total newbie, just discovered hofo a few hours ago and been reading like mad. Been on cellular one-att-cingular-att forever but TDMA getting flakier by the day and have to make a decision whether to stick with ATT and go with GSM or go with Verizon CDMA. For purposes of this thread, I am specifically interested in voice reception quality, dropped calls. Thanks.

Phone
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've left AT&T GSM because of the garbled calls I've gotten with several phones in the past few years. It may be different for some people, but I find it hard to believe that they haven't fixed their sound quality issues by now. Its not really noticeable on TDMA, since they built out a good network for that from the beginning. Now on AT&T's 3G, the call quality is superior, but they don't have great coverage and the hand-offs from 3G to GSM isn't too great.. it either works or drops the call. T-Mobile has better call quality, they even test it in most major cities regularly (you can view a list on their website.) Right now I'm on Verizon and the call quality is great and very consistent, rarely do I drop calls, and with that.. I could care less if they cripple some features on their phones. You should ask around your area to see what's good.

Feedback Score
    ^^ thanks. I have been asking around, and Verizon is winning the race, though my respondents so far are in the Berkeley-Oakland area. I am in Sonoma county , Petaluma, but spend a lot of time in Berkeley. Any further experiences in these areas appreciated, specifically regarding voice reception/dropped calls. I will be making a final decision vis a vis carrier in the next few weeks.

Phone
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ugh, will never go back to Verizon.
    1. Crippled phones.
    2. No unique phones. (just different shells for the same interface.)
    3. BREW and Get It Now. Cant load your own games and no Java support.
    4. Coverage not as good as what they claim.
    5. You have to use THEIR phones. With GSM you can unlock and use any phone you want as long as it has the correct network bands.
    Google Nexus 5

Phones
    iPhone 4G
    Verizon Pantech UML 290 4G
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldilocks
    Ugh, will never go back to Verizon.
    1. Crippled phones.
    2. No unique phones. (just different shells for the same interface.)
    3. BREW and Get It Now. Cant load your own games and no Java support.
    4. Coverage not as good as what they claim.
    5. You have to use THEIR phones. With GSM you can unlock and use any phone you want as long as it has the correct network bands.
    What of the voice reception quality and dropped calls which the OP is inquiring about??

Phone
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabatta
    What of the voice reception quality and dropped calls which the OP is inquiring about??
    I have never had any of those problems, even when travelling to Southern/Central Cali.

Full Rate enabled handsets make a big difference.

Feedback Score
    I'm curious about this myself. This is not to say that I have not had experience with both carriers, but I know a lot has changed in the last few years or so in coverage amongst the respective carriers.

Here are my two-cents on the subject

Up until about 2004 I had AT&T, this is when I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area down to the San Gabriel Valley, just outside of L.A., for college. Due to my unusual location, nestled up against the San Gabriel mountains my reception with att/cingular service was horrendous. Everywhere else, my reception was fabulous, except where I lived. I had previously been happy with my service from AT&T while living in Livermore, CA, on the outskirts of the SF Bay Area. The result of this poor coverage from AT&T prompted my family to switch over to verizon and I have been happy with their service and coverage. My dad goes on hunting trips every year to wyoming or wherever, and he said that he can make calls from places he only could have dreamed about making with AT&T. I am now back living in the bay area and still am pleased with the coverage I receive from Verizon.

All that being said, I do have to say that verizon has a crappy selection of phones and I am strongly considering switching to AT&T for that reason alone. The considerations I need to weigh are: 1)for where I reside and the places I may frequent (like the ski resorts in the winter), will AT&T coverage suffice? 2)How expensive will my service be if I went with a blackberry "pearl" type phone? I don't want anything too big, such as a full sized blackberry, but more of a CELLPHONE with a blackberry-esque functionality.

I haven't decided yet, but I would like to learn a bit more about these plans and coverage before taking the plunge. Come to think of it, my cousin sells business plans for AT&T, but i'm pretty sure he will be able to answer all my questions.

I'll ask him what his take is on all of this and let you all know what he says.