Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Getting RSD General working...

Phone
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carriers
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score

Getting RSD General working...

Ok with the release of the V9M, and PST not working with it to back up things like the BREW File, Browser, NAM, PRL, etc... all things critical to the "MONSTER" processes....

RSD General is a "new" tool to us, but many are having problems getting it working.

So, this thread is NOT about where to find/get RSD General, but rather about getting it working once you obtain it.

I have been successful with RSD General v4.9.8 reading the Browser file, and writing it to the phone... as well as reading every other "service file" RSD has under the Provisioning section from the phone.

So... lets start comparing things...

One of my theories... I am using a PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse... no special drivers. No "helper" programs providing support for extra buttons, etc...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 09-17-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Phones
    Pearl 8130
    vx8300
    Carrier
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    just curious but where can rsd general be downloaded, ive googled it and had no luck

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Rezound
    OG DROID
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i will chime in as one to not get it working i have tried both my laptop and one of my desktops both with wireless mice, my desktop has ps2 keyboard and laptop well regular keyboard... I am in the process of trying my other desktop i have to put the HDD back in though

desktop--windows Media Center
    laptop-- windows XP pro sp2...
    desktop i haven't tried will have ps2/usb mouse and keyboard and windows home sp2
    John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Italysfinest327
    just curious but where can rsd general be downloaded, ive googled it and had no luck
    warez links not allowed here... but you might want to poke around at Mobile-files.com

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Rezound
    OG DROID
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    mark have you tried any other phones besides the V9m with RSD gen? i don't have a V9m to try and was wondering if you had it working with anything else like a K1m or E815

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Rezound
    OG DROID
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    HA HA I got it working I'm getting a V9m tomorrow yea!!

Here is my setup:

Windows XP home sp2 (really slow crappy celeron processor) i don't think that has anything to do with it sorry...

all i installed was RSD 4.9.8 and the moto usb handset driver program

PS2 keyboard
    USB mouse

Bingo it read my K1m just fine!!

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus
    mark have you tried any other phones besides the V9m with RSD gen? i don't have a V9m to try and was wondering if you had it working with anything else like a K1m or E815
    My V3C.. worked...

Phones
    aPhone
    MoTel KRZR K1m
    Carrier
    CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I decided to take another look at this application since it's been awhile. I'm not sure if anyone already pointed out that the files are compatible with the PST files.

But 1 thing I did notice. When I read the BREW info from my phone, RSD reported version 3.1.2. However, when I loaded the backup file I saved with PST, the version is reported as 2.1.0. I wonder if the outdated PST has caused some of our problems in the past, and if using a more current software package could make some changes easier?

I just noticed 1 other feature with this tool that looks appealing. Multiple Loading, saving the names of all PST config files and writing them to the phone at 1 time, rather than individually like we do now. This will be a huge time saver if we keep backups, combined with writing all seems with a single script.

Phones
    Motorola ROKR Z6 Orange
    Motorola ROKR V8 Navy
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A bit of a break for me with 5.1.4. When prompted if you want Windows Firewall to block SWDL, initially I selected "Unblock". It didn't work. I just went back and removed it from the exceptions list, and viola.

WinXP Pro with SP2

Phones
    Moto Droid rooted and OC'd w/Cyanogen Mod
    Q9m (Q9c unbranded Winmo 6.1)
    3rd V9m (USC FW)
    Carriers
    Currently Verizon
    Was AT&T: 1yr contract and hated it after it switched to Cingular
    Feedback Score
    yea, about a few hours ago i made sure my firewall (kaspersky 7.0) left that program alone, haha. god i can't wait to get my cable. i'm getting restless. lol

Phones
    Motorola ROKR Z6 Orange
    Motorola ROKR V8 Navy
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickster357
    yea, about a few hours ago i made sure my firewall (kaspersky 7.0) left that program alone, haha. god i can't wait to get my cable. i'm getting restless. lol
    What I was saying was that once I allowed Windows to block SWDL from internet access, it worked.

Phone
    Tour 9630
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just installed in and in playing around with my e815 it seems to be working fine. For the record, I let norton unblock the connection.

I also am using a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse setup.

Phone
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    A few notes... for AFTER you get RSD CDMA General 4.9.8 working....

Note: Most people can get RSD installed and have it launch... the failure comes when trying use the READ PHONE button in provisioning to get the settings "files" from the phone.

When you launch RSD CDMA General 4.9.8.... (maybe true for 5.1.1 and 5.1.4, but I haven't installed those yet)....

It views easiest when running FULL SCREEN (or Maximized) at 1280x1024 or Higher!! running at 1024x768 is a little cramped and because of that, some buttons in the middle may not be seen... (especially true for the provisioning feature)

When your first start RSD, you might see a message in the center box, in blue text that RSD is loading. You might also see "Failed to parse matrix file...." in the lower status window while its detecting your phone... This is "normal".

It will probably show "Now Phone Connected" even though it displays your ESN, Technology, Software, etc in the upper right.... This is normal.

The message in RED saying "If you are upgrading your software or doing a swap operation, this phone is not supported. You may however continue using the phone provisioning menu." along with "Please disconnect this phone." This is also NORMAL.

You can really only make use of the Icon along the left for Phone Provisioning. (This is the part that replaces the PST Phone Programmer used during the Monster guides...)

To get to Phone Provisioning... click on the ICON along the left, not the words....

When you are in Phone Provisioning... there is a frame titled Settings... that has check boxes & links for... CDMA Nam, PRL, Browser, ERI, BREW, CDMA1X GPS, EVDO, Feature Settings, Mobile IP, Message File, PTT, RTT Data, Security Grouping, MMS Setting, Phone Book, Date Book. Along with just links for ESN/MEID to MDN Mapping, Multiple Loading and Print PIM.

Put a check in the box of the setting you wish to read from the phone... and click the Read Phone button. RSD should start reading those selected settings from the phone.

To view/edit the setting, click on the link/words.. e.g. you want to create a new web session for your proxy, click on the word BROWSER.

When its complete, if you use the SAVE File button, or the Write Phone button, it only will save or write that setting being displayed... i.e. if you have NAM, PRL, Brew and Broswer boxes checked, but Browser settings are being displayed in RSD's main frame, then using the Save or Write button, only the Browser settings will be saved/written. You have to save/write one at a time from there.

Once saved individually.... you can use RSD's Multiple Loading option to write back to the phone several individually saved Settings files in one operation.

You can NOT use RSD General's Phone Firmware Upgrade, or Phone Swap feautures.

Phones
    ||D)).||R\.((O)).[|].||D)).
    Samsung Omnia, Moto V9m, Samsung Juke
    Moto E815, Samsung A990
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mark V, can you give some system info so that we can try to replicate your setup (for people that have the hardware ready of course).

1) Exact Version of Windows - Under Control Panel, System Properties, System:
    2) Type of PC - Home built, Dell, Gateway, etc...
    3) Processor Type -
    4) Last time you did a fresh install of Windows
    5) Preinstalled Software (Moto or Cellphone related) - PST, MPT, Active Sync, Moto Drivers, RSD version, RSDLite, Bitpim, etc.
    6) Amount of Memory installed
    7) # of Running programs in system tray
    8) Process you used to first install RSD (if it was anything special) - I.E. Directly after a reboot, in safemode, closed all system tray processes, etc...
    9) LAN connection or wireless? Was it active during install/while running RSD
    10) Did RSD set a system-restore point?
    11) Keyboard and mouse make/model
    12) Motherboard version/model number
    13) Number of CD/DVD/Hard drives installed
    14) Any USB drives/printers/etc.. connected?

Maybe if we get as much info as possible on your system, we can try to get another computer working.

Also, is there a Moto Site or Dev Site for RSD General? Maybe we can find some Minimum PC requirements or some suggested requirements to see what's going on.

Does RSD normally run on regular PCs? Or is there a special PC that this software comes pre-installed on?

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Rezound
    OG DROID
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    wow that is alot of info your asking I will give you what i can remember

Windows XP Home SP2
    PC was home built but not by me.
    only preinstalled software (phone related) usb handset driver, RSD 4.9.8
    processor 2.4 Celeron D
    1GB or RAM PC2700
    I had wireless lan (linksys wireless B/G usb adapter) it was active i disabled my firewall (zone alarm free version 6.??)
    PS/2 Keyboard is old HP from like 2001
    USB mouse Microsoft
    no RSD didn't create a restore point
    to install i just clicked the setup file, then rebooted
    1 DVD-rom/CDRW combo
    2 HDD's (19GB, 15GB)

I also tried getting it to work on 3 other computers at home i won't list all the specs though but here are the operating systems
    laptop windows 2000 pro
    laptop windows XP pro
    desktop windows MCE

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast