Thread: No free Wifi on HTC HERA110 (T-mobile wing)

Feedback Score

No free Wifi on HTC HERA110 (T-mobile wing)

have a T-mobile Wing (aka HTC HERA110) and cannot browse to any web pages while connected to any unsecured wifi access point. When I try to load the web page I consistently get the message "cannot find server" even though the device shows that I am solidly connected with a good transfer rate. Suprisingly, when I connect to my WEP enabled Wifi network at home, I can load web pages to my heart's desire. Anyone have the same problem and have some solutions? Here are the settings I've applied for a sample unsecured access point in the device wifi settings:

Configure Wireless Network:
    Network name:ac_transit_wifi_bus
    Connects to: Internet
    hidden network box not checked

Configure Network Authentication:
    Authentication: Open
    Data Encryption: Disabled
    No other boxes checked

I'd appreciate any help you guys/gals on the forum could provide. Thanks

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My first guess would be that the settings for IP and DNS assignment are screwed up. Try resetting them to automatic.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the settings on the wireless adapter and found these settings:

SDIO WLAN Wireless Adapter settings: use server-assigned IP address

Name servers: DNS, alt DNS, WINS, Alt Wins all blank

Any other suggestions? Are there any other settings/menus I should check or reset? I agree that it has to be some sort of setting on the phone since I can connect to this access point with a laptop and load web pages easily.

It seems that this problem is related to the general phone hardware and software settings and has nothing to do with configuration for specific access points if these access points do not require a password or specific IP address like many free access points. T-mobile support, however, seems to think it is the responsiblility of the access point administrator to provide the settings.
    The access point providers say that there are no special settings.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Phone
    HTC Atlas aka Wing
    Feedback Score
    I know what you are talking about. I have this issue with my laptop as well as my Wing. The problem is with the access point itself, not your phone. A lot of public WiFi probably have older routers and usually need to be reset once in a while. I have an older router at home and have to reset it on a monthly basis. if i dont, I connect to the router, but not to the internet.

SO if you are in a public place, its your luck whether you connect or not. its that simple.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I see what you are getting at. I guess the last thing for me to try is to connect to the access point with the laptop and then try with the wing at the same time. If the laptop can connect and the wing cannot, then I would think something is wrong with the settings on the wing or the reliability of the hardware and software on the wing device. Would that be a fair assumption ? Are pda type devices in general more picky about correct router settings? I'm pretty satisfied with the wing and t-mobile except for this frustration with free access points.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Phone
    HTC Atlas aka Wing
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzt74
    Interesting. I see what you are getting at. I guess the last thing for me to try is to connect to the access point with the laptop and then try with the wing at the same time. If the laptop can connect and the wing cannot, then I would think something is wrong with the settings on the wing or the reliability of the hardware and software on the wing device. Would that be a fair assumption ? Are pda type devices in general more picky about correct router settings? I'm pretty satisfied with the wing and t-mobile except for this frustration with free access points.

Again, thanks for the insight.
    hey no problem, I was in your place when i got my wing 3 weeks ago. Another possibility is when I 1st got my wing, I couldnt connect to a recently reset router. I called t-mobile and they said i must of did something to the settings and suggested i turn off my phone and take the battery out. with the battery out, hold the power button for 5 seconds this is will push out any energy still in the phone and replace the battery and try again. It worked. Never had a problem afterwards. try it and let me know.

Feedback Score
    I might have solved the problem. under wifi status, I set the power mode all the way to the left to "quality". maybe this gives the wing wifi antenna more juice? it worked and I can surf the web through the access point. great for those long bus rides in traffic! if I have any more problems, i'll try your battery method. thanks for the help.

Phone
    HTC Atlas aka Wing
    Feedback Score
    how do you get wifi on a bus? is it from neighboring homes throughout your ride?

Phone
    Razr Maxx HD, BB9700(Stock/Unlocked), iPhone 3G(Jailbroken/Unlocked)
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

City wide WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by sefsnextel
    how do you get wifi on a bus? is it from neighboring homes throughout your ride?
    ..which would allow WiFi access while on a bus. Great if you can get it

Feedback Score
    many ac transit buses in the san francisco bay area now have wifi routers on board. if you are ever in the area, try them out. not every bus has free wifi, just the big green buses with the wifi sticker on the side

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T; Digicel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drizzt74
    many ac transit buses in the san francisco bay area now have wifi routers on board. if you are ever in the area, try them out. not every bus has free wifi, just the big green buses with the wifi sticker on the side
    that's incredible. Would love if that came to my town.
    PSA: karibOS is FEMALE

karibOS v6.17

lisa: "the simpsons are going to canada!" homer: "awwww, why leave America to go to america, jr.?"

Feedback Score

try this

hi drizzt74 have u tried to go into media player like if you were to play music then go to menu -choose option and then choose network and see if you are using wi fi/land conection if not choose that one and you will be able to go throw any wireless open network i hope i can help