Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Email to SMS service

Feedback Score

Email to SMS service

Has anyone else noticed how T-Mobiles email-to-SMS service is BROKEN.

It started around 6 weeks ago -- messages sent to <number>@tmomail.net would be delayed hours or simply be dropped. This happens from all email addresses I have access to (ISP, DSL provider, gmail and yahoo).

I finally set down last week to determine what the problem is. The MX for tmomail.net is mailx.tmomail.net. That server is not accepting connections. Some sessions are disconnected before mailx sends the welcome, others are simply refused, and the few that are successful that for are SO SLOW that sending mailers time-out.

Try it -- see if you get the message. T-Mobile responded to my support request saying (lying) that this was fixed 9/20. It's still broken. Now they're saying that they're working hard to address it.

Anyone with interest in this feature, file a complaint with the BBB -- apparently, they don't have a junior linux tech available to fix a simple SMTP server cluster.

PS: I do have a workaround -- a script that hammers the t-mo server with requests until it goes through. If there's interest, I may host it on one of my servers.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, we are aware of it. There are tickets opened and I am trying to get an update on it now.

I wouldn't recommend against the 'workaround'.

Feedback Score
    I think I need to strengthen my above post, I just saw the ticket change and the issues are apparently due to SPAM attacks. So, you definitely want to avoid that workaround.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO_Jon
    I think I need to strengthen my above post, I just saw the ticket change and the issues are apparently due to SPAM attacks. So, you definitely want to avoid that workaround.
    yeah, that's a nice recommendation. Except, I NEED this, or my t-mo service is useless. T-Mo is still advertising this service, which is false advertising. There's a known and admitted problem here, and you need to advise your customers that email-SMS delivery is no longer guaranteed.

Phone
    T300
    Feedback Score
    Is this still broken? It is not working for me.

Feedback Score
    They claim it's working now. I was getting a better ratio the last couple of days -- about three in four messages. One in four will be delayed, it seems. Depending on where you send email *from*, this delay could be more or less.

Right now, they're completely dead again. Support is clueless, and apparently, they haven't hired any smart IT personnel lately.

Phone
    LG F3
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilk
    yeah, that's a nice recommendation. Except, I NEED this, or my t-mo service is useless. T-Mo is still advertising this service, which is false advertising. There's a known and admitted problem here, and you need to advise your customers that email-SMS delivery is no longer guaranteed.
    just wait till t-mobiles legal dept calls you for spamming their servers.. thats what the script that you have is doing..

Anyways it's not false advertising b/c they still have the feature.. it is just being messed up with scripts that are pretty much like yours...

BTW mine isn't working either so it isn't fixed yet..

Anyone with interest in this feature, file a complaint with the BBB -- apparently, they don't have a junior linux tech available to fix a simple SMTP server cluster.
    And lastly, T-mobile isn't a member of the BBB... That means they don't have to respond to BBB claims.. if you go to the BBB site it shows where t-mobile has about 6,000 claims that they have ignored.. they have responded to a lot though, but the BBB may not help you with tmo since they are not a member

http://www.thebbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=27026359

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by devin37354
    just wait till t-mobiles legal dept calls you for spamming their servers.. thats what the script that you have is doing..

Anyways it's not false advertising b/c they still have the feature.. it is just being messed up with scripts that are pretty much like yours...
    Absolute BS, kid. You don't have a clue. If I contact an MX, it **should** respond within 10-15 seconds. Try that with "telnet mailx.tmomail.net 25". Their server doesn't 220 at all -- it simply disconnects. What I'm doing is therefore not spamming, it's simply attempting to reconnect with a long time-out. After that I HELO, MAIL, etc, with super-long time-outs. If I don't get a solid 250 from them, I wait a few minutes and try again. This is not spamming. It's handling a misconfigured mail-exchanger.

BTW mine isn't working either so it isn't fixed yet..
    Have you called and complained? If not, don't expect it to be fixed.

And lastly, T-mobile isn't a member of the BBB... That means they don't have to respond to BBB claims.. if you go to the BBB site it shows where t-mobile has about 6,000 claims that they have ignored.. they have responded to a lot though, but the BBB may not help you with tmo since they are not a member

Again, thank you for your entirely clue-free post. Whether a business is a member of the BBB has no bearing on whether they respond or need to respond to complaints. It also has no bearing on whether the BBB will forward the complaint.

Once you file a complaint with the BBB it'll go on record. If the company does not respond, it will receive an unsatisfactory grade in its record. Most respectable companies will respond immediately to a complaint, as did T-Mobile respond to mine. I informed them that I would not accept any resolution until the problem is actually FIXED.

Phone
    LG F3
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Absolute BS, kid. You don't have a clue. If I contact an MX, it **should** respond within 10-15 seconds. Try that with "telnet mailx.tmomail.net 25". Their server doesn't 220 at all -- it simply disconnects. What I'm doing is therefore not spamming, it's simply attempting to reconnect with a long time-out. After that I HELO, MAIL, etc, with super-long time-outs. If I don't get a solid 250 from them, I wait a few minutes and try again. This is not spamming. It's handling a misconfigured mail-exchanger.

Have you called and complained? If not, don't expect it to be fixed.

Again, thank you for your entirely clue-free post. Whether a business is a member of the BBB has no bearing on whether they respond or need to respond to complaints. It also has no bearing on whether the BBB will forward the complaint.

Once you file a complaint with the BBB it'll go on record. If the company does not respond, it will receive an unsatisfactory grade in its record. Most respectable companies will respond immediately to a complaint, as did T-Mobile respond to mine. I informed them that I would not accept any resolution until the problem is actually FIXED.
    I am clueless??? oh and BTW i am not a kid but why don't you go to the BBB link i sent you.. tmobile has an unsatisfactory grade and they have tones of unsettled complaints

Take from ^^^^^^ link, that is tmobiles BBB profile

"Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record
    with the BBB due to failure to respond to one or more complaints and or two or more otherwise unresolved complaints. However the business has resolved most complaints presented to the bureau."

and if you go down and read the summary and do the math, they only answer about 65 - 70 % of compliants

Feedback Score
    Yeah, unsatisfactory is one or two unresolved complaints. You are talking about millions of customers. Granted you get several legit complaints, but do you know how many stupid complaints must come in every day? I guarantee they get complaints to the BBB because T-Mobile refuses to build a cell site in their backyard.

Phone
    LG F3
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO_Jon
    Yeah, unsatisfactory is one or two unresolved complaints. You are talking about millions of customers. Granted you get several legit complaints, but do you know how many stupid complaints must come in every day? I guarantee they get complaints to the BBB because T-Mobile refuses to build a cell site in their backyard.
    yeah, and thats why i admire t-mobile for not answering them all... there are several carriers that will answer them all (AKA TRACFONE) just to keep a clean record.. I don't think it's right to file a BBB claim for nothing

Feedback Score
    You really have to find a balance when working customer issues. No carrier has the manpower to work every customer issue within a reasonable time period. You have to work the issues which you either have numerous complaints about or any issue which you can verify with statistics. One thing we do not do is ignore complaints. Every customer complaint that comes in to our department, we have 24 hours to respond to in some matter. What I will say, is that those of us that work the issues are sometime irritated at the speed in which those complaints get to the markets. These troubles are generally worked by someone in coporate before they get filtered down to the markets. In my opinion, they should trust the engineers and markets to work the issues first then escalate up to corporate departments.

An example of this is a ticket I just got yesterday. this ticket is already 10 days old because it went thru corporate first. Its a pretty easy problem to troubleshoot in my opinion. A customer is complaining about screeching on his phone in a large portion of the calls he makes from a specific location. This is obviously something a field tech needs to go out to duplicate, so in my opinion it has taken too long for the ticket to get in my hands to work the issue.

Phone
    T300
    Feedback Score
    Any new updates?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just tried the E-mail gateway, took about 15-30 seconds for the SMS to arrive on my phone. Maybe they've gotten things straightened out.

--Kidd

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977
    I just tried the E-mail gateway, took about 15-30 seconds for the SMS to arrive on my phone. Maybe they've gotten things straightened out.

--Kidd
    I had three or four (out of 15-20) last week that took in excess of one hour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast