Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Updating from 1.0 to 1.0.2 when 1.1.1 comes out

Say the 1.1.1 comes out tomorrow....how would I go about updating the firmware to 1.0.2 from 1.0 using a pc.

duceduc Guest
    Download a copy of 7.3 or 7.4.1 itunes.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    The version of iTunes is unimportant. What is important is having the correct firmware update file. Assuming Apple does not remove the old file:

iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw

If you're tired of iTunes nagging you about updates or you're worried you might accidentially download one, you can add an entry to your hosts file (usually c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) for itunes.com. As of this posting, http://itunes.com/version is still serving firmware 1.0.2. If Apple updates, I've got the 1.0.2 "version" file saved on my webserver, right here.

Feedback Score
    ok well i just remember i had to have wifi at barnes and noble when i was trying to update the firmware by holding the home and power off button until the yellow triangle comes on. it wouldn't let me restore/update without it looking for online access.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsimeon
    Say the 1.1.1 comes out tomorrow....how would I go about updating the firmware to 1.0.2 from 1.0 using a pc.
    iTunes. I'm sure even if you don't get to update from 1.0 the latest version of iTunes will have you covered and up to date no matter what.

sciphone.net - The best iPhone Wallpapers on the Internet. New Wallpapers Added Daily!

sciphoneapps.com - The best iPhone applications on the Internet.
    Now serving : 38,000 Applications...

duceduc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3
    The version of iTunes is unimportant. What is important is having the correct firmware update file. Assuming Apple does not remove the old file:

If you're tired of iTunes nagging you about updates or you're worried you might accidentially download one, you can add an entry to your hosts file (usually c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) for itunes.com. As of this posting, http://itunes.com/version is still serving firmware 1.0.2. If Apple updates, I've got the 1.0.2 "version" file saved on my webserver, right here.
    Where is this firmware located in computer?

Phones
    iPhone 2G
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsimeon
    Good question! I'm wondering about this too.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Basically, the idea is to have iTunes think your computer is Apple's version server - so it will believe 1.0.2 is the latest update. This method has the advantage that you don't have to worry at all about accidentially updating your iPhone to a newer firmware version, if you ever need to restore it. The itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip also has a copy of this howto in it, so feel free to link to the file as a one-stop-solution for keeping iTunes from updating beyond firmware 1.0.2.

Here's a Windows XP (and possibly Vista, but I don't have Vista so I can't test it) howto:

First, download the following files:

itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip

apache_2.2.6-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

--- Instructions ---

1. Run the installer for Apache, select standard installation and install as a service on port 80.

2. Move "version" (included in itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip) and "iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw" into:

\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs

3. Open your "hosts" file in Notepad (usually located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc)
    and add the following line:

127.0.0.1 itunes.com

Phones
    iPhone 2G
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    gotanmp3, so after doing that, I would plug in the iPhone to the pc, then start iTunes and restore it and it will automatically update the iPhone to 1.0.2 even if there is a newer version?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent9V
    gotanmp3, so after doing that, I would plug in the iPhone to the pc, then start iTunes and restore it and it will automatically update the iPhone to 1.0.2 even if there is a newer version?
    Yes, as long as you've got the entry for itunes.com in your "hosts" file, iTunes will be checking your computer for updates instead of Apple's server. In fact, you should be able to update with your Internet connection disconnected/disabled. You can then just follow the rest of the jailbreak/unlock tutorials exactly as they're written.

Phones
    iPhone
    Nokia 6275i
    SE T68i
    Carriers
    Rogers (in Halifax)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3
    Here's a Windows XP (and possibly Vista, but I don't have Vista so I can't test it) howto:
    OK, but is there a Mac way to change to 1.0.2 ??

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmt
    OK, but is there a Mac way to change to 1.0.2 ??
    Download the iPhone firmware and the itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip file.

1. Open System Preferences, click "Sharing", enable "Personal Web Sharing" if it's not already enabled.

2. Copy "version" (included in itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip) and "iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw" into:
    Your Hard Drive Name/Library/WebServer/Documents

3. open terminal and issue the following commands:
    sudo -s
    (enter your root password when prompted)
    cd /private/etc
    nano hosts

4. You should now be in the nano text editor, to your "hosts" file, add:
    127.0.0.1 itunes.com

5. Press Control-X to exit and save when prompted.

You may need to reboot to make the hosts changes take effect.

duceduc Guest
    by doing this edited i'd still be able to update to latest version of iTunes & iTunes will still look for update in my puter versus apple's server?

Feedback Score
    "Basically, the idea is to have iTunes think your computer is Apple's version server - so it will believe 1.0.2 is the latest update. This method has the advantage that you don't have to worry at all about accidentially updating your iPhone to a newer firmware version, if you ever need to restore it. The itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip also has a copy of this howto in it, so feel free to link to the file as a one-stop-solution for keeping iTunes from updating beyond firmware 1.0.2.

First, download the following files:

itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip

apache_2.2.6-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

--- Instructions ---

1. Run the installer for Apache, select standard installation and install as a service on port 80.

2. Move "version" (included in itunes_1.0.2_apache_howto.zip) and "iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw" into:

\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs

3. Open your "hosts" file in Notepad (usually located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc)
    and add the following line:

127.0.0.1 itunes.com"

Say I do all this, what if i find out that 1.0.2 is good and i wanna update it to that?

duceduc Guest
    isn't that what we are updating to in the first place?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast