Thread: RAZR MAXX broken outside "glass"

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

RAZR MAXX broken outside "glass"

As the local techno geek, one of my co-workers brought me a RAZR MAXX that he dropped on his travertine floor. The outside glass part is cracked but the outside and inside LCD screens are in tact.

He asked what could be done. I told him to install carpet....that was not the answer he was looking for.

Is there a way to replace the outside piece of glass? Functionally the phone is in tact. It seems though that there may be a shard of glass that will fall out at some pint.

Thank you in advance.

Sal

Phones
    Droid running Chevyno1's ROM & OC'd to 1.1Ghz
    USA made Moto Napoleon A4500 in Brown
    Moto Devour (looking to be sold)
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Here is a link for them to just buy a new outer glass pc. Hope that helps out. One thing I don't have tho is a writeup link or guide on how to disassemble a Maxx tho to replace it. If you do happen to find any info on that plz drop me a PM or post a link here so I can have it myself. Peace

http://cnn.cn/shop/motorola-razr-max...ns-p-1725.html

Phone
    krzr - alltel 24.0_00.26.11
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Broken ones are good one's to experiment with.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    If they made it like they usually do (E815, K1m) the glass part is actually glued on, so prepare to pry it out. Good luck, and let us know how it came out. I believe you don't have to disassemble the LCD part either.
    PM rules: search first, and ask in the threads for help before you resort to one.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the help. I will try to lift it out and replace it and take some photos....Sal

Phones
    Moto MaxxVe
    Moto Razr M3v
    Samsung i730
    Carriers
    Verison
    Version
    Feedback Score
    I replaced the front lens on my MaxxVe tonight. Based on the info I found in this thread (and a few other Google searches) I braved the task of prying the glass lens from the front of my phone. I could not find a way to pry it off (with heat or otherwise) so I 'slowly' chipped away the glass front until I got it off. A note of caution: The two light bars that are beneath the left and right side of the glass can be removed easily when you are taking off the glass. Take special care in removing the glass that you don't accidently tear or pull off these light bars (I guess unless you want them off)

Also, there is a paper-like cover over the music player controls (<- >|| ->) that is located beneath the glass. If you remove / destroy the paper cover, the blue lights are 'very bright' once you get the glass lens re-installed (so bright that they wash out the arrows, making them hard to distinguish)...... Guilty.

One more note of caution. When you purchase the replacement lens, you get a sticky gasket with it. The sticky gasket is used to adheare the glass lens to the flip top base. It is easy to accidently position the gasket incorrectly, thus making it very difficult to pull up and re-position. Take your time in the placement. Also, the stick film needs to be removed from the area that covers the actual display. Almost easier to leave it on until you get it positioned on the flip top side, and then carefully remove the sticky center. (Might be easier to aheare it to the bottom of the glass lens..... did not try that method, but considered it an option after I was done....). The key is here, you don't want to leave the sticky center piece in place before you position the lens back on the phone...

Take you time and take the glass off carefully and it turns out good...... Chris

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From where did you purchase the replacement glass? I am still waiting for one from Hong Kong....Sal

Phones
    Moto MaxxVe
    Moto Razr M3v
    Samsung i730
    Carriers
    Verison
    Version
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by letti001
    From where did you purchase the replacement glass? I am still waiting for one from Hong Kong....Sal
    I purchased mine from Ebay (the vendor was from Hong Kong China) as well. Mine was delivered 2 days shy of 2 weeks.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think we are at two weeks or so.