Thread: Considering the switch to S60 from Windows Mobile

Device(s)
    Nokia E51
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Considering the switch to S60 from Windows Mobile

Hello all,

I am considering the switch to S60 after extensive review. But I have a few questions about it. Currently, I use a windows mobile 6.0 standard (smartphone edition), i.e. non-touch screen. I hate the touch screen ones as much as most of you do.

My questions are:
    1. How is the mail client in S60? I heard a few issues of IMAP that you only can get the header, is there a way to get the full e-mail or at least text only through the send/receive? I usually check my e-mails once every 10 minutes automatically with Windows and I can set it to get the whole e-mail through the send/receive.

2. Smart Dialer. For those who used a windows mobile device and switched to S60, how much are you missing that feature? Is there a work around other than using voice?

3. Is there a way to store browser cache and e-mails into storage card with the S60?

4. SMS Reply. With windows mobile, you hit the left key and you can reply with one click when you are reading a message. I read on S60 that you have to open the menu then hit the third option, an extra 4 clicks. Is there a faster work around? How about the new conversion program, does it blend in with the mail application or is it a whole new different program?

5. Fast moving through menus. In windows mobile, all you have to do is hit a number that matches your selection. Is there a similar feature in S60 than having to scroll up or down for it?

Thanks for your help!

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1. Mail client is good IMHO, good at handling IMAP, I've set it for my university IMAP account and works perfectly fine.

2. I miss the smart dialer, no questions there.

3.Havent tried it, neither do I know if this is possible, you'd have to wait for a veteran S60 user.

4.It has this built-in, when you recieve a call, after 1 ring, your top right key displays 'send message' and if it doesnt, the top left key "options" will take you to "send a message" and done.

5. Not sure about this one either.

PS: I've switched to S60 about a month ago too, from WM.

Device(s)
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1. You can retrieve the entire message on both IMAP and POP3. By default, the message will display text only, but if you open the HTML attachment, you'll be able to see the message in HTML format in a browser window.

2. I didn't know what Smart Dialer was so I did a quick search. The contact list seems to work the same way on S60, in that you can type in contacts by letter to get to them, but it's always tap, not T9. So "John" would be 5-666-44 on S60, where it appears it would just be 5-6-4 on Smart Dialer. If that's going to be a big deal?

3. Email can be stored on the memory card, though I think the browser cache defaults to the internal storage. With 3rd party apps, like Opera Mobile, you can choose where you'd like to keep it.

4. I haven't tried Conversation because I've never liked threaded SMS, but I can answer the other part. It does definitely take more clicks to reply, but it won't lag out as bad as a WM device. With the message open, it's Options>Reply>Via Text Message on my N95, which is three button clicks, two being the same button. Trivial to me, but it sounds like it's important to you.

5. S60 does the same thing, like if Messaging is the application in the upper left corner, you can hit "1" on the keypad to open it. Speed is going to be fastest on an FP1 device, so I highly recommend picking up something like an N95 or a 6120 if you just want to test the waters. The best part with it is that you'll always feel like you're in control of what you're doing, whereas WM always seems to try to do what it wants with my opinion being prioritized second to it. Give it a shot. You'll like it. There's a reason Nokia owns almost 70% of the worlds market of smartphones.

Device(s)
    Nokia E51
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all!

1. For viewing in HTML, is that exclusive to N95 or any FP1 device? I am considering E51.

2. Did any of you try this? QuickContact, Don't you think clicking 6 times just to get to John bothersome? It is something I would hate.

3. Thanks for letting me know about the e-mail but there is no way to store internet's cache into the storage card? Can anyone confirm this?

4. WM-Smartphone doesn't lag as much as any N-series device as long as you have the application open, similar thing with Nokia. I have tested this against N73 vs HTC S710. I am hoping with extra RAM that the E51 would have, it would be a bit faster.

5. Thanks for letting me know that. I use numbers a lot to navigate. But I am also interested in knowing if you can click on a number from a list. Just like here. Image

Device(s)
    i9100 Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really miss the smartdialer. I use the phone all day for work so having to push extra buttons just to dial a number bothers me when it should be so much easier. I think the messaging app, once opened and running in the background, works better in wm6. Again, it seems like too many key presses are needed to get around and the smartfilter on the messaging app is great.

I had the n95 and i really enjoyed the multimedia features. Downloading podcasts, the great camera and video recorder are things i was missing with wm6 devices. I think the symbian os is still a little more stable, but not by much anymore. I have had so many wm5 and wm6 devices that i am staying away just to try different things. Any feature pack 1 device should work well as they are fairly quick when moving through the os
    SEE MY FEEDBACK HERE
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=579659

past phones:
    Entirely too many phones to list...the search continues

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1. No, this is the same for all variants of 3rd Edition. The E51 will do this.

2. I don't find it so. I'm very fond of T9 over QWERTY though, so it might just be me. For the most part, I use speed and voice dialing (voice dialing rocks on S60 because of the speaker independent system, btw).

3. I just checked my N95 and there doesn't seem to be an option anywhere. The E51 seems to have plenty of internal memory though, so it wouldn't be a problem keeping web sites in the cache on it.

4. The N73 can be REALLY laggy, depending on which version you have. When I had it, I had no problems at all, but my girlfriend has a really hard time with it. The E51 should be much better.

5. Nokia doesn't do that same numbered list style, so it'll only work in a grid style menu.

Device(s)
    Nokia E51
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Got a couple of more questions:

1. How hard is it to install applications? Heard a few issues about setting back the date to allow a program to install. Compared to how easy it is on windows, that can be a pain in the arse. How about removing them?

2. In T9, is there a way to remove words from the dictionary? How about adding new words?

3. Do you need to restart your phone every day or two? Or can it stay in terms of lag about the same level or it would be worse? With Windows Smartphone, I restart it every other day to get back RAM that was lost. Basically I would have 25MB when I start up the phone but after opening applications and closing them, on the second day it would go down to 18MB after closing every program. Would I have a similar issue with S60?

It seems to me that Windows can have its issues of slowness, restarting every night, etc. I am wondering if I am going to run into issues with S60? It seems to me it is not the perfect phone and Windows Smartphone is not either but at least with Windows, there is always a solution to resolve your problems. Especially when I had my SDA. Now, with HTC Vox/S710, I have problems of being slower than the SDA, no way to silence the phone when it is locked, and no way to remove words from the dictionary. So do you any issues with S60? What is the most annoying thing to you?

I am hoping if I spend X amount of money on a new S60, I hope I don't develop more issues with it than with a Windows device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1. Installation is easy. All you have to do is open a sis, sisx, or jar file on the phone itself and it will do the rest with a couple more guided key presses. There's also an application installer that comes with PC Suite that automatically starts the install when your phone is connected, which makes it easy for quick PC>Phone installations. Certain applications have dated certificates attached to them and will give a "Certificate Expired" error when you try to install them. This is the situation where you can set the date back by so many months, depending on when the software was released to get it installed properly.

2. The dictionary can't be edited directly, but it can be tampered with. When you enter a word it does not recognize it will give you a "Spell" prompt to key it in using Tap, which will save it to the dictionary for the next time you try to type that word with T9. If you want to remove a word (such as "os" which often replaces the more common "or" when it gets saved), you just have to type the original word more frequently. It's a pain, but after 10 entries or so, it'll revert back to the original word as the default. I believe the word that was added will always be in the dictionary, unless it isn't used whatsoever in a long time.

3. Any device with RAM will do this, but with the newer phones with larger amounts of RAM, the leakage doesn't matter nearly as much. On average, an S60 phone should be restarted once a week, but feature-rich phones such as the original N95 need a restart as frequently as your WM device. The new N95 should be more than okay to use all of its features and still have enough RAM left over after all the leakage to keep it going for a week or more. It'll restart in under 30 seconds too, which is a huge plus.

The biggest issues I've EVER had with S60 are all being remedied with the new devices popping up recently. RAM was always on top of the list of issues, but the N95-3, N95 8gb, E90, N76, and others are all shipping with double or quadruple the normal, insufficient amount. The only current issue I have would be the slowness of larger applications, such as the camera or gallery (with several GB of content loaded). The menu speed is really, really fast on FP1, but just those heavy hitters slow even the faster processors down.

It's a bit difficult to go from WM to S60 because it will appear to be such an inferior smartphone experience because of its simplicity, but for the most part, you'll find the same functionality organized a bit differently if you have the right applications installed (especially since you're coming from the non-touchscreen variant).

After all this discussion, you haven't mentioned which S60 (or S60's) you were looking at?

Device(s)
    Nokia N97 NAM
    Carrier(s)
    Mobily
    Feedback Score
    Actually i was thinking of going the opposite way i.e. from S60 phone to HTC TyTnII. Dont get me wrong, i have no problem with S60 just a change of taste.

May i ask what limitations in WM6 is bringing you to S60?

Device(s)
    Nokia E51
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am considering the E51. It has enough RAM and a fast processor. But I will have to wait for reviews to show up before I buy one.

While I can't talk about HTC Tytn II, I know this is a different variant of what I use. Windows Mobile have two versions: Standard (Non-touch screen, used to be called Smartphone) and Professional (Touch Screen, PDA first phone second). This is similar to Symbian having UIQ and S60.

I used to have an I-Mate JAM but it was running Windows Mobile 2003. A lot has changed since then but I can tell you that you would need two hands to use it. This means one hand holding the device, the other hand holding the stylus. You have no tactical feedback when dialing a number for example. If you use voice, then you are good to go.

The good things about it are:
    1. It has plenty of programs and I know for a fact that it is easier to code in it (Skype, Slingbox, making your phone as Webcam, etc.). Software wise: I think you will find that the version of HTC Tytn II runs on has plenty of applications compared to any other phone out there.

2. If you like to play with things, you can customize the phone to your likings. The home screen can be fully customizable.

The bad things:
    1. It is slow. It needs more RAM to solve this issue I think.
    2. Software out of the box is not enough. It doesn't have a built-in task switcher for example. But to defend it, there are a lot of programs that can solve this issue and some are even free.
    3. When you exit the program, it doesn't mean it is closed. It is still running in the background. Some may find this better this way but I know that is how Symbian works.
    4. If you update a firmware, there is no easy way that I know that can keep your settings, your edits back to the way it was. So you will have to reinstall everything. Don't quote me on this though as there maybe a solution for this on Windows Mobile Professional.
    5. ActiveSync can be a pain.
    6. I have not seen a phone that runs Windows Mobile with a nice Camera. I compared my HTC S710 to Nokia 6300 Camera (2.0 Megapixels each) and Nokia 6300 won by a landslide. It made it seem that HTC S710 was running a crappy VGA.

I think it just depends on what you need it for. The market for S60 and Windows Mobile Professional are different markets. I think it is fair to compare a Blackberry to Windows Mobile Professional and S60 to Windows Mobile Standard (Blackjack, Dash, Vox).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaivt
    Looking to switch from WM5 to S60 but I have a few questions maybe some of you can help me with

1. When you move between text, does holding the d-pad in one direction kind of speeds up the moving of the cursor? When I scroll between text on my Blackjack, it moves at the same speed and I have to wait an extra second or two to delete the line of text or a sentence.

2. How many meetings/calendar entries can be shown on the Active/Stand-By screen? I'm using Papyrus on the Blackjack and know that it also is available for the S60, but I don't really like this program that much.

3. Is there a program with s60 that allows me to enter private information such as credit card numbers, license plate numbers, and private notes?

4. Can the tasks be sorted by date created?

5. Can the default font be changed? I checked out a N73 and the text does not seem to be as sharp as my Blackjack's.
    1. It does speed up when you hold it down. If you're using T9, it will go through entire words at a time in two beeps.

2. It'll show one To-Do (or tell you how many if there's more), and I've only seen 4 from the calendar. I think you can fill as many as the screen will hold?

3. There used to be that came preinstalled, but they've removed it. There's a few new applications that'll encrypt your data available, so at the very least, you can sync a note file and put a password on it.

4. The To-do's? I think they're organized that way by default.

5. On FP1 (N95, 6120, etc), you can change the size natively, but for FP0 (N73, E61, etc), you have to install a piece of software for it. There are also some methods to hack in other fonts available.

Device(s)
    Nokia E51
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBruha
    4. I haven't tried Conversation because I've never liked threaded SMS, but I can answer the other part. It does definitely take more clicks to reply, but it won't lag out as bad as a WM device. With the message open, it's Options>Reply>Via Text Message on my N95, which is three button clicks, two being the same button. Trivial to me, but it sounds like it's important to you.
    I found a new work around this but I am not sure. Instead of going through options, why don't you press the call/green button to send the message? Does that work?

If this works, this would make the jump at least a bit easier as I text on the go and I would hate to look at the screen sometimes to do a send.