Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are Canadian wireless companies so late in getting with two way pagers?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Q10
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Canada
    Feedback Score

Why are Canadian wireless companies so late in getting with two way pagers?

Aside from Rogers Motorola pager and I think Bell also has one or two with little features, Canadian providers don't seem to be very interested in two way pagers...

Device(s)
    Motorola 270c
    Feedback Score
    need vs demand, market is still niched, theres alot involved in having a product on a network, its not simply calling up the manufacturer and saying "send us 1000 of your units"

Dreaderus

Device(s)
    Blackberry Q10
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Canada
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if in the US, they are still being used mostly by business people or is it slowly becoming more main stream. That's sorta how the cell phone started off as well. I would switch to a Sidekick- type all in one device if they were available here.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Here's a very good explanation.

Cellphone rate plans in Canada are MUCH MUCH cheaper than in the U.S.

Getting a two-way pager doesn't make much sense price wise. You might as well get a cellphone with text capabilities, as it will only cost a little more, but will offer MUCH more flexibility.

Feedback Score
    I had a Motorola T900 for a year or so. Wasn't bad, coverage footprint was small. So I can see more people using them if the coverage was there. Just spending the money on a ReFlex network that may not be supported in 2 years. Remember the situation what was it 2 years ago that GlennAyre wanted out of the paging network business.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The demand for paging devices is on a downward trend. Combine that with the fact that the canadian market was never very big to start with and you have the answer to your question. Keep in mind that two way pager devices required a seperate network to be built and maintained.

However, the demand for two way messaging devices (like Blackberry) is on the increase. Combine that with the fact that new devices run off of the existing cellular networks and you can see a big market developing.
    TELUS Mobility
    the future is friendly

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I remember a time when staff carried around "audio pagers" that were the size of a large paperback. How would you like to have voices coming out of your thigh?

I honestly don't see 2 way pagers taking hold here. There is little demand here with our low cellular rates (at least southern Canada - have you looked at NMI.CA's rates lately? )

Nearly everyone I know has ditched their pagers as their primary remote comm links.
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Q10
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Canada
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Xirc
    The demand for paging devices is on a downward trend. Combine that with the fact that the canadian market was never very big to start with and you have the answer to your question. Keep in mind that two way pager devices required a seperate network to be built and maintained.

However, the demand for two way messaging devices (like Blackberry) is on the increase. Combine that with the fact that new devices run off of the existing cellular networks and you can see a big market developing.

What is the difference between the network used for two way pagers and two way messaging devices like the Blackberry? For that matter what's the difference between a two way pager and a Blackberry?

Feedback Score
    2 way paging is on a paging network ReFlex which I believe is a Motorola technology.

RIM is on ARDIS on Bell and Mobitex on Rogers which are a radio/data network.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Isn't the plan though to move RIM off Mobitex and onto GPRS?

And with Bell from ARDIS to standard IS-Based messaging?

Feedback Score
    RIM on Rogers off Mobitex to GPRS

RIM on Bell off Ardis to 1x

Device(s)
    Samsung GSV, LG Volt, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    in the u.s. the only people outside of businesses that use two way pagers are african americans, the gangster rap cuture seems to favor them.
    My awareness flows through the rivers of existence which pulse with the vibrance of my thoughts.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Q10
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Canada
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by ImmerStark
    in the u.s. the only people outside of businesses that use two way pagers are african americans, the gangster rap cuture seems to favor them.

The "...gangster rap culture..." ?

lol! You're white right? Wild guess.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8100 Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    bell carried two way pagers a couple of years ago...i think our store sold one or two...there isn't a market for it...limited coverage, and the units cost as much or more than cell phones which offered a lot more flexibility.
    Sammy740: It's ironically called BlueChips...something Bell isn't.
    Bell's new marketing slogan: Over promise, Under deliver.
    "System Access Fees are charged by all wireless companies to help pay for the network and the ongoing software, technology and other upgrades to that network. Generally, the higher the fee, the greater the opportunity to invest in network quality to enhance your experience. Just one more reason to choose Bell. "

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Originally posted by DarrenGuy
    RIM on Rogers off Mobitex to GPRS

RIM on Bell off Ardis to 1x
    actually, rogers still offers the choice.. you can get a mobitex OR GPRS unit.

the GRPS units sell more though since most of them have the built in phone anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast