Page 84 of 113 FirstFirst ... 34 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1689

Thread: XV6800 Release Thread - We all want to cry about it, don't post it

  1. #1246
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    100
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht
    Has the "find online" process changed with Windows Mobile 6.0? I looked up some tutorials on how to use this but it looks like there have been changes.
    Not really. The technology has remained the same. Specific devices may have a slightly different keystroke sequence - but only slightly.

    WM5 and WM6 both query the Global Address List (GAL) of Exchange 2003 SP2 (or 2007) via the IIS Front End Server (also used by OWA). The GAL is really essentially populated by Active Directory (as with all Exchange after 5.5 running in domains of W2K or W2003). Active Directory will always populate the Exchange Org GAL with username, display name and email address. It may or may not have additional attributes published such as phone number(s), addresses, etc. That depends on whether or not the IT enterprise in question has populated and and maintained that data in Active Directory (AD).

    So, if Robrecht needs email addresses then the online search will be fine. If he needs email and phone numbers or other information, it may not work for him.

    On the other hand, I find it truly impossible to believe that anyone actually needs the entire Global Address List of thousands of people in their own company including phone numbers on their mobile devices. That is a incredibly huge waste and is not indicative of any of the devices, but more of a bad process. The one bad thing about either WM or RIM is that neither of them have the ability to manage multiple lists, so trying to manage thousands of people in the device is frankly a huge waste of time that makes it more difficult to use the more common 80% of the contacts you really need.

  2. #1247
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    644
    Device(s)
    Droid 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh00jh
    The Sprint 6800 is getting a Rev A upgrade and
    a GPS upgrade in Jan. 08.

    per WMExperts.com today.
    I guess I completely forgot about the separate GPS antenna in the FCC test photos. Granted, I haven't looked at them in almost a year. Anyway, needless to say there is a WLAN/BT antenna, CDMA antenna, and GPS antenna. I'm not an internal components kinda tech person, but I would imagine GPS for E911 doesn't require a separate GPS antenna. There also wasn't a separate GPS antenna detailed in the FCC filings for the 700w or XV6700.

    I guess the XV6800 may have actual GPS functionality (not just VZNavigator). Now it may not be available until the Rev A upgrade comes out, but you never know.

  3. #1248
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96
    Device(s)
    XV 6800
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've never used the 6700, or the 6800. I have briefly used the Q, but returned it. How do you go about ensuring you only use Wifi, and not VZW data plan?
    I don't want to block it, so I can use txt and pix messaging...

  4. #1249
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    497
    Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr
    Not really. The technology has remained the same. Specific devices may have a slightly different keystroke sequence - but only slightly.

    WM5 and WM6 both query the Global Address List (GAL) of Exchange 2003 SP2 (or 2007) via the IIS Front End Server (also used by OWA). The GAL is really essentially populated by Active Directory (as with all Exchange after 5.5 running in domains of W2K or W2003). Active Directory will always populate the Exchange Org GAL with username, display name and email address. It may or may not have additional attributes published such as phone number(s), addresses, etc. That depends on whether or not the IT enterprise in question has populated and and maintained that data in Active Directory (AD).

    So, if Robrecht needs email addresses then the online search will be fine. If he needs email and phone numbers or other information, it may not work for him.

    On the other hand, I find it truly impossible to believe that anyone actually needs the entire Global Address List of thousands of people in their own company including phone numbers on their mobile devices. That is a incredibly huge waste and is not indicative of any of the devices, but more of a bad process. The one bad thing about either WM or RIM is that neither of them have the ability to manage multiple lists, so trying to manage thousands of people in the device is frankly a huge waste of time that makes it more difficult to use the more common 80% of the contacts you really need.
    I guess the change in terminology from "Find online" to "Company Directory" reflects the usage of most companies of the GAL for internal purposes, which is not what has driven our use of so many Contacts. Our company manages thousands of live programs a year, mostly in the evening and on weekends, and its impossible to predict who I might need to contact to resolve an issue. Sorry if you find that so hard to believe. As for process, I believe our success has been due in large part to our style of personal contact and accountability. Thanks for your help.
    Thanks, robrecht

  5. #1250
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    745
    Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dkreifus
    I've never used the 6700, or the 6800. I have briefly used the Q, but returned it. How do you go about ensuring you only use Wifi, and not VZW data plan?
    I don't want to block it, so I can use txt and pix messaging...
    You have to block it or it can connect to data connection which will
    really cost you.
    Why would someone pay $400 + for a phone and not get a data plan ?????
    Think , if you can't afford the data plan , you really can't afford the phone.
    If you are spending that kind of money for the features the 6800 has,
    why would you want to block them??? VZW does enough of that.

  6. #1251
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    644
    Device(s)
    Droid 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh00jh
    Why would someone pay $400 + for a phone and not get a data plan ????? Think , if you can't afford the data plan , you really can't afford the phone.
    Yeah, I'll never be able to figure that one out. It'd be like buying a $65,000 Benz E550, putting regular unleaded in it, AND whining about only getting an average of 17 mpg.

  7. #1252
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    86
    Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh00jh
    Why would someone pay $400 + for a phone and not get a data plan ?????
    Think , if you can't afford the data plan , you really can't afford the phone.
    If you are spending that kind of money for the features the 6800 has,
    why would you want to block them??? VZW does enough of that.
    Some people, like myself, are sick of carrying a PDA and phone around. I don't use the net on my PDA and I have no intention of using it on the 6800. I want a combigned device so I carry one item. That's the only reason I am getting one. So I won't get a data plan, not due to funds but due to choice. Plus I'd rather have $50 a month to spend on something else.

  8. #1253
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    181
    Feedback Score
    0
    Exactly. I don't understand why some people think that just because THEY wouldn't have a need for a certain feature (or lack thereof). The only reason I have a PDA is because i want to sync my work outlook contacts and calendar appointments with my phone. I also like using the phones wifi to get internet at home or coffee shops. In many cases, a smartphone is not that much more expensive than a regular cell phone. I also DON'T want e-mail on my phone because then my boss would expect me to respond to emails whether I am in the office or not. If those are my wants, why WOULD i want to pay $50 extra/month for a feature I don't even want?

  9. #1254
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0

    No data plan for me either

    Quote Originally Posted by ckeegan
    Yeah, I'll never be able to figure that one out. It'd be like buying a $65,000 Benz E550, putting regular unleaded in it, AND whining about only getting an average of 17 mpg.
    nothing wrong with being selective, I'm not getting a data plan, I am around the net so much it hurts, I want something that can connect to the internet every so often, I mean rarely, just enough to grab a price occasionally, maybe shoot off an email, or download directions to review on the road. Again I am around wifi enough to easily do that, or I can go find an open network, there are tons everywhere. So, sorry, if you need to be tethered to the net so badly that you need a data plan, then most likely your work is paying for it, if not you work for the wrong company, or should get a life outside the net. (sorry that was for your rather attacking tone about the benz)

  10. #1255
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    745
    Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by theague
    Some people, like myself, are sick of carrying a PDA and phone around. I don't use the net on my PDA and I have no intention of using it on the 6800. I want a combigned device so I carry one item. That's the only reason I am getting one. So I won't get a data plan, not due to funds but due to choice. Plus I'd rather have $50 a month to spend on something else.
    The remark was made to all the people who want to whine about having
    to get a data plan. There are always exceptions ( you are not going to
    send pictures). People with the funds don't even think about the $50,
    they think about what else they can do with the phone.

  11. #1256
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    419
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G White (At&t)
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree. I go to school from 8am to 3 then practice until 8pm. My school has a wifi connection, as does my house. So I would sparingly use the net on my phone, but I would love to sync email and my calendar on one device. But I do alot of texting and picture messages, so I'm looking at probably gettnig the 10MB data plan if the data block doesn't allow those messages.
    The ONLY ninja I trust!

  12. #1257
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9
    Device(s)
    Razr V3c
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have heard that if you block the data that you will not be able to send MMS? could some one shed some light on this...

  13. #1258
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    486
    Device(s)
    iPhone 3gs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score
    0

    Compare Tilt to 6800

    Interesting comparison between the Tilt from ATT and the VZW 6800.

    Compare Tilt to 6800

    If the data on the site is accurate...Looks like the 6800 has the Tilt beat but there are some differences...
    -- The Tilt shows a USB 2.0 connection while the 6800 is still 1.1.
    -- The camera is stronger at 3.1mp on the Tilt, but we knew that.
    -- The Tilt is a lot heavier and it uses a lot more of the ROM than the 6800 possibly due to the ATT "bloatware" installed.
    -- No GPS on the 6800, I find that hard to believe??
    -- Slightly stronger battery on the 6800

    Other than those...it looks very close with just some minor improvements to the chipsets on the 6800, but these might just be renumbered for VZW useage.

    Take a look for yourself...

  14. #1259
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    745
    Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joshieca
    Interesting comparison between the Tilt from ATT and the VZW 6800.

    Compare Tilt to 6800

    If the data on the site is accurate...Looks like the 6800 has the Tilt beat but there are some differences...
    -- The Tilt shows a USB 2.0 connection while the 6800 is still 1.1.
    -- The camera is stronger at 3.1mp on the Tilt, but we knew that.
    -- The Tilt is a lot heavier and it uses a lot more of the ROM than the 6800 possibly due to the ATT "bloatware" installed.
    -- No GPS on the 6800, I find that hard to believe??
    -- Slightly stronger battery on the 6800

    Other than those...it looks very close with just some minor improvements to the chipsets on the 6800, but these might just be renumbered for VZW useage.

    Take a look for yourself...
    The 6800 has a GPS antenna , just needs an upgrade. Sprint is going to release a GPS upgrade in Jan.08 on the Mogul.

  15. #1260
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23
    Device(s)
    Q9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinkernel32
    We'll see what the price point is on this ppc... Hopefully VZW doesn't go with the 499 price tag, seeing as how you can get a Mogul for 549.99 outright... They're putting all their eggs into the Voyager basket this season... It's been said before, VZW doesn't really care about it's business customers, just the "youthful" segment because they are the core user of cell phones based on some research. http://www.clickz.com/3530886

    The price is set to be $299 with a 2 year agreement. This is before ADD which will bring it to $199. When I heard the price I almost had second thoughts that I would just carry two PDA phones rather than pick up a smaller phone, but alas my pockets simply aren't big enough lol.

Page 84 of 113 FirstFirst ... 34 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast

Bookmarks