Thread: VX8700 "Use Genuine Battery"

Phones
    LG Voyager & LG VX8700
    T-Mobile Sidekick (For Sale)
    LG VX8100, LG VX6000, Motorola V60T (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

VX8700 "Use Genuine Battery"

Before I get flamed. I am using a genuine battery and that is all I have ever been using.

My phone has never had this message displayed since I got it back in May. All of a sudden today it gives me that message after I charged the battery after it ran out. After it charged I powered it back on and the message "Use genuine battery" popped up.

Does anyone else get this and is this a known issue about this phone?

I went to a Verizon store and of course the phone powered on just fine again (go figure things never go wrong when you want them to). I showed the tech a picture I took of it and she said she has seen that once before, and after a few attempts of trying to power it on, it usually comes back on.
    Moo....

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    a buddy I work with had that happen on his phone. I took some compressed air( low psi) , blew out phone. nothing different. I took a pencil eraser and rubbed the " contacts" on the battery and phone with it to clean them , problem solved.
    the contacts get crud built up on them over time where they connect to the phone and need to be cleaned. a pencil eraser has worked best for me and leaves no residue. his was a Moto 815 but it works on my LG and Samsung phones too.
    when the phones had external contacts at the charger I would clean them too when they got kinda blackish at the point of contact. I have no clue how or if it needs to be done on the new internal contact ones
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Phones
    3G iPhone 16 gig Black
    Motorola V9m w/USC Flash (Free from Verizon because I was on my 5th replacement on the VX-8700)
    LG VX-8700 (w/dun & free WAP)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was having this very same problem. Swapped it out for a new one. I only noticed it when the battery died to the point of shutting off then recharged to full. When i turned it on i would get this.

No problems with the new one so far!

Phones
    LG Voyager & LG VX8700
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthetas
    a buddy I work with had that happen on his phone. I took some compressed air( low psi) , blew out phone. nothing different. I took a pencil eraser and rubbed the " contacts" on the battery and phone with it to clean them , problem solved.
    the contacts get crud built up on them over time where they connect to the phone and need to be cleaned. a pencil eraser has worked best for me and leaves no residue. his was a Moto 815 but it works on my LG and Samsung phones too.
    when the phones had external contacts at the charger I would clean them too when they got kinda blackish at the point of contact. I have no clue how or if it needs to be done on the new internal contact ones
    I tried cleaning them when I got home with that method and I found my battery dead and still doing the same thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by mickc82
    I was having this very same problem. Swapped it out for a new one. I only noticed it when the battery died to the point of shutting off then recharged to full. When i turned it on i would get this.

No problems with the new one so far!

Yes my battery did die to the point of shutting off. I've actually never had the battery go down that low before. Did you have problems swapping it out? The tech did not offer me a new phone.
    The tech did a hard reset and it came back on, but on my way home from the store, it died again and once again I got home and plugged the charger in; it said use genuine battery.

I'd hate to have to do a hard reset and hope my phone comes back on each time.

Phones
    LG Env 3
    Lg Env Touch
    iPhone
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AznQTGirL
    I tried cleaning them when I got home with that method and I found my battery dead and still doing the same thing again.

Yes my battery did die to the point of shutting off. I've actually never had the battery go down that low before. Did you have problems swapping it out? The tech did not offer me a new phone.
    The tech did a hard reset and it came back on, but on my way home from the store, it died again and once again I got home and plugged the charger in; it said use genuine battery.

I'd hate to have to do a hard reset and hope my phone comes back on each time.
    FYI - I finally got fed up with the problems that LG didn't fix with the 8700 battery...I had a new phone that kept randomly shutting off cuz the battery would drain extremely fast. Went to Veriz...swapped the battery out. Same thing happened again....went back, got another battery....same thing happened again....For whatever reason, the phone gets HOT...like unusually hot after about 10 min on a call. LG says they don't get hot....right.

Anyway, I ended up with the new 8500 chocolate and could not be happier..and this comes from someone who hated the chocolate before they redesigned it. If you like listening to music with earphones, there is no better phone out there.

One last comment on the 8700....from what I've seen and heard and experienced personally, the phone has some tech issues that are being ignored...not addressed, so if you have the option, I would urge you to swap it out or sell it or something....

Just my 4 cent's worth....

Gary

Phones
    RIM Blackberry Storm 9500
    LG VX9600 Versa
    LG VX9100 enV² Black
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had a lot of problems with my vx8700. Mine would randomly freeze and shut off, usually when sending picture messages. Only on here were people aware of the issue. VZW apparently didn't know what was going on. They told me to call LG. I told the tech guy over the phone, shouldn't you do that? It's your software on the phone... They told me that the phone was fine. I went through 2, 8700s and I gave up. I got the orange env and couldn't be happier. My vx8700 did get warm too. The reason it is the only phone that you feel it on is because of the phone having the body be metal. The metal conducts the heat faster than plastic. If you used a plastic one for a long time, you'd feel it start to get warm because of the heat finally conducting through.
    But at any rate, the 8700 is an awesome phone, but it as a lot of software problems that LG and VZW don't want to admit to or address.

My Phones Over The Years

Phones
    LG Voyager & LG VX8700
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I actually like the phone very much. I've had a good 4.5 months with it being problem free. But for much of today my phone would not even turn on, it kept saying use genuine battery. But as luck would have it, I bring it to the Verizon store and the tech pushes the on button and it comes on. There was nothing I could do to turn my phone on.

I asked if he could swap out the phone and he just told me no because he does not see anything wrong with it.

This phone problem went from being a minor nuisance to just plain not working (well it works when a tech is around).

Is there anything anyone can suggest about how to get it swapped out either with a same model phone or a different phone all together?

Where I work, I don't get reception at all (basement) so I tend to turn my phone off to conserve battery life. I could leave my phone on, but by the end of the day the battery will be dead anyhow.

Phones
    3G iPhone 16 gig Black
    Motorola V9m w/USC Flash (Free from Verizon because I was on my 5th replacement on the VX-8700)
    LG VX-8700 (w/dun & free WAP)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I called tech support, i didn't go to the store. I told them what was happening and she offered to send me a new battery in exchange for the old one. Easier than going to the store. Last time i went to the store they said they will only service batteries that are 3 months old or younger.

Yes the battery was drained completely to the point of shutting off (left this detail out of the phone convo) lol.

Told them that when i shut the phone off to charge and when i turn it back on after finishing charging it would do the whole use genuine battery thing.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    www.verizonwirelesssurvey.com
    they take the whole" once you bring us the problem it becomes our problem " very seriously. I would be willing to wager if you dont rant but tell them what happened and that the problem is NOT solved your problem will get resolved very quickly.
    your store gets this survey result and from what I was told by the manager of my local store, they have no choice but to resolve it however they have to

Phone
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Having this same problem after taking the battery out to remove the SC card. Was late to work this morning because my battery died and the alarm wouldn't go off. When I try to charge it a message comes on telling me "battery is required." This is a pain I don't need on the Thanksgiving holidays and has caused me a major inconvenience. I think it has more to do with the battery contacts on the phone than the battery.

Also, the outer display backlight will cut on every 5 minutes or so without me pushing anything.

Feedback Score
    Do you have insurance on the 8700?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyjay2004
    I had a lot of problems with my vx8700. Mine would randomly freeze and shut off, usually when sending picture messages. Only on here were people aware of the issue. VZW apparently didn't know what was going on. They told me to call LG. I told the tech guy over the phone, shouldn't you do that? It's your software on the phone... They told me that the phone was fine. I went through 2, 8700s and I gave up. I got the orange env and couldn't be happier. My vx8700 did get warm too. The reason it is the only phone that you feel it on is because of the phone having the body be metal. The metal conducts the heat faster than plastic. If you used a plastic one for a long time, you'd feel it start to get warm because of the heat finally conducting through.
    But at any rate, the 8700 is an awesome phone, but it as a lot of software problems that LG and VZW don't want to admit to or address.
    I do love the phone but also noticed it always reboots when I try to add text to my picture message. I can send picture messages just fine, but as soon as I try to add text. Boom, & reboots.

Phones
    Droid X
    LG VX8300
    LG VL600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottie420
    I do love the phone but also noticed it always reboots when I try to add text to my picture message. I can send picture messages just fine, but as soon as I try to add text. Boom, & reboots.

Some have claimed that the new firmware fixes this problem.

Feedback Score
    Thanks mountainbikermark. Your solution worked for my wife's phone. Amazing.