It aint where you're from, its where you're at
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Need help for overseas travel

Hi Guys and Gals:
    I'm traveling over to Ireland and England in Sept and I wanted some advice on Mobile usage.

I use VoiceStream here in NYC and I have both an Ericsson t28 World (locked) and a Motorola Tri Band 7689 (unlocked). VS has promised me an unlock code for the T28, but we'll see bout that...

Assuming I can get the unlock code for the t28, any advice on which is the better phone to bring?

Also, how would it work if I want 2 buy a foreign SIM card? (I really dont want to "roam" and pay VS's rates of $1.50 a minute) Can I just buy a SIM card for maybe $50 and then have a foreign number, or is it a lot more complicated than that?

ALSO, being the cell phone junkie that I am, I'd also like to pick up a Tri Band GSM phone in London to bring to the states just to have something different. Any suggestions ???
    Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
    Sazon

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Re: Need help for overseas travel

Originally posted by Sazon
    Hi Guys and Gals:
    I'm traveling over to Ireland and England in Sept and I wanted some advice on Mobile usage.

I use VoiceStream here in NYC and I have both an Ericsson t28 World (locked) and a Motorola Tri Band 7689 (unlocked). VS has promised me an unlock code for the T28, but we'll see bout that...

Assuming I can get the unlock code for the t28, any advice on which is the better phone to bring?

Also, how would it work if I want 2 buy a foreign SIM card? (I really dont want to "roam" and pay VS's rates of $1.50 a minute) Can I just buy a SIM card for maybe $50 and then have a foreign number, or is it a lot more complicated than that?

ALSO, being the cell phone junkie that I am, I'd also like to pick up a Tri Band GSM phone in London to bring to the states just to have something different. Any suggestions ???
    Any and all help is much appreciated!

Sazon
    Well, if you haven't checked lately VoiceStream has considerably lowered their global roaming rates. For instance local calls are ~45˘/minute on both Irish carriers. Web URL: http://voicestream.com/products/coverage/global.asp

As far as another tri-band phone to bring back I think the only choice that you might not have on this side of the Atlantic is a Siemens model. They're selling Motos and LME's on both sides of the Atlantic (LME=Ericsson.)
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7100t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would automatically take the Timeport Tri-Band. Just for that time when you really need to make a call and the 900mhz networks are busy.