Thread: Nokia E61: Security lock reset (not SIM/provider lock)

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Motorola RAZR
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question Nokia E61: Security lock reset (not SIM/provider lock)

I have an Nigerian (according to Nokia) Nokia e61, so Nokia USA will not service my phone. I bought my phone second hand off ebay and I do not have the security unlock code. So customer service at Nokia USA says it is /impossible/ for them to reflash my phone to reset the phone completely to the default security codes. According to NokiaUSA, Nokia Nigeria is the only one that can do it. Is there a way that I can get this fixed for under $30?

Things that I tried already:
    UnlockMe! - Which only works with S60 Series 2 Symbian OS - the e61 is a series 3.
    (From what I understand this basically brute forces the code - is this possible with S60 series 3? Is it possible to brute force this with python?)

I've also tried the 4 finger salute reformat (after a backup) and it did format everything, but left the lock code. [The total reformat procedure is from power off - Hold Green button, 3 and * - then turn the power on. This wipes everything except the security unlock code]

I've also tried calling Nokia Nigeria, but the line has been always unavailable.

(God this sounds like the beginning of a horrible email.)

Feedback Score
    ^ Are you referring the SIM lock or other user locks? Please understand SIM unlock discussion ISN'T ALLOWED in HoFo. Many Nokia BB5 models like E61 can't be unlocked (yet) anyway.

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Motorola RAZR
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From the Nokia e61 manual page 89 - security settings. The code that I am refering to is called the Lock Code in the manual. It is used to keep prying eyes out of the phone and brick the phone if the sim is removed.

Define security settings
    To define device and SIM card settings, select a setting and Options > Change.
    When calls are limited to closed user groups, calls may be possible to the official emergency number programmed into your
    device.
    Define the following settings:
    • PIN code request — Select On to request that the PIN code is entered each time the device is switched on. This setting cannot
    be changed if the device is switched off. Some SIM cards do not allow turning off the PIN code request.
    • PIN code — Change the PIN code. The PIN code must be 4 to 8 numbers long. The PIN code protects your SIM card against
    unauthorized use and is provided with the SIM card. After three consecutive incorrect PIN code entries, the PIN code is blocked,
    and you need to use the PUK code to unblock it before you can use the SIM card again.
    • PIN2 code — Change the PIN2 code. The PIN2 code must be 4 to 8 numbers long. The PIN2 code is required to access some
    functions of the device and is provided with the SIM card. After three consecutive incorrect PIN2 code entries, the PIN2 code
    is blocked, and you need to use the PUK2 code to unblock it before you can use the SIM card again.
    • Autolock period — Set a time-out after which the device is automatically locked and can be used only if the correct lock code
    is entered. Enter a number for the time-out in minutes, or select None to turn off the autolock period. When the device is
    locked, you can still answer incoming calls and calls may still be possible to the official emergency number programmed into
    your device.
    • Lock code — Change the lock code. The new code can be 4-255 characters long. Both alphabets and digits can be used, and
    both uppercase and lowercase alphabets are possible. The device notifies you if the lock code is not properly formatted. The
    preset code is 12345. To avoid unauthorized use of your device, change the lock code. Keep the new code secret and in a safe
    place separate from your device.
    • Lock if SIM changed — Set the device to ask for the lock code when an unknown, new SIM card is inserted into your device.
    The device maintains a list of SIM cards that are recognized as the owner’s cards.
    • Allow remote lock — If you set this option on, you can lock the device by sending a predefined text message from another
    phone. When you set this option on, you need to enter the remote lock message and confirm the message. The message
    must be at least 5 characters long.
    • Closed user group (network service) — Specify a group of people to whom you can call and who can call you.
    • Confirm SIM services (network service) — Set the device to display confirmation messages when you are using a SIM card
    service.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for stating the obvious, but you've tried the default 12345?

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Motorola RAZR
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    yep did the 12345, 1234, 00000, 0000 and a buch of randomness as well.

Carrier
    WindMobile
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried a firmware update with the data cable ? I have a E61 from the Uk and I was able to update it's firmware. It wiped the previous firmware clean and put a fresh one on.
    Come Visit The Farside, If you Dare!

Can you save Al Gore?

*Not the real Adam Savage, just a fan*

Phones
    Nokia e61
    Motorola RAZR
    Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Pepsi Man, a six pack of beer is on it's way to your house. It worked! Thanks!

Carrier
    WindMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Pencil
    Pepsi Man, a six pack of beer is on it's way to your house. It worked! Thanks!
    Make that pepsi and you go yourself a deal!