Rogers
    Feedback Score
    • Program: Garmin Mobile XT
    • Cost: $99 USD
    • Maps: Pre-loaded to memory card
    • Data Usage: No
    • Voice Navigation: Yes
    • Link: Garmin Mobile XT
    • Notes: Scheduled to begin shipping Nov/Dec 2007.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I suppose we are no longer able to edit, or sticky our posts in this forum any longer as that what the S60 wiki is for. So I'll re-post on this thread what I have edited, and enter the same info for the S60 wiki.
    Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    A thread dedicated to those who have questions about the use of the Global Positioning System (GPS) instrument in their mobile device. Programs that can be used with your S60 device, and their associated features will also be discussed.

Accronym Glossary
    GPS (Global Positioning System): An internal or external device that is used to determine its location in relation to three or more satellites orbiting around the earth. This device does not incur data charges, since your cellular provider's wireless network is not used for positional information.
    A-GPS (Assisted Global Position System): An external assistance server that provides a GPS device information from the wireless network to enhance positioning accuracy, and response time when GPS signals may be low due to, but not limited to tall buildings, or atmospheric conditions. The assistance server requires data and does incur data charges, since your cellular provider's wireless network is used for positional information.
    POI (Points of Interest): A location or point on the map that may be of interest to the user with applicable business information. Could be a gas station, the Toronto CN tower, or a Restaurant.
    TTFF (Time to First Fix): The time required for a GPS device to acquire satellite information. To obtain a fix, a GPS device needs both Almanac (parameters for all satellites in the GPS constellation), and Ephemeris (precise orbital, and clock correction parameters) data to obtain your location. There are four start types:
    • Factory: GPS receiver has no Almanac information, and no Ephemeris information. Typically a 10 - 15 minute start up.
    • Cold: GPS receiver has some Almanac information, but no Ephemeris information. Typically a 60 - 90 second start up when the GPS receiver has been off for a period of 8 - 12 hours. Most observed scenario when GPS is not used often.
    • Warm: GPS receiver has Almanac information, and some Ephemeris information. Typically a 30 - 60 second start up when the GPS receiver has been off for a period of 30 minutes.
    • Hot: GPS receiver has Almanac information, and almost all Ephemeris information. Typically a 1 - 20 second start up when the GPS receiver has been off for a period of 15 minutes or less.

Program Description

Each application will be broken down by:

• Program: Program name
    • Cost: Program cost
    • GPS Receiver: Internal - Integrated GPS antenna; and/or External - Wireless Bluetooth GPS antenna
    • Maps: Pre-loaded to memory card or downloaded via server
    • Data Usage: Data required for navigation, addresses, or POI via GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, or HSDPA. A data package is recommended, check with you wireless provider for per kB rates.
    • Voice Navigation: Turn by turn detail by voice
    • Link: Website information
    • Notes: Additional information of interest

Applications
    • Program: Nokia Maps
    • Cost: Free
    • GPS Receiver: Internal and External
    • Data Usage: Yes and No, see notes
    • Voice Navigation: Yes, but requires a paid subscription
    • Link: Nokia Maps
    • Notes: Some addresses or POI may not show up on your searches, which will then require the use of a data service to find the information from the Nokia servers. An option can be set so that the phone will never connect to the Nokia servers, or to only connect to the Nokia servers upon your permission. Free 3 day Voice Navigation trial for first time users.

• Program: smart2go
    • Data Usage: Yes and No, see notes
    • Voice Navigation: Yes, but requires a paid subscription
    • Link: smart2go
    • Notes: Also known as Nokia Maps. Functions are the same as Nokia Maps. Available for Windows Mobile devices.

• Program: amAze
    • Maps: Downloaded via server
    • Data Usage: Yes
    • Link: amAze
    • Notes: Has an Economy Mode for low data usage of ~ 10 - 20 kB, and Full Map Mode for high res moving maps.

• Program: Google Maps
    • Voice Navigation: No
    • Link: Google Mobile Maps
    • Notes: Has a kB counter in the top right corner of the screen for data usage tracking.

• Program: TomTom
    • Cost: $149.99 USD
    • GPS Receiver: External
    • Link: TomTom Navigation
    • Notes: Extra POI and real time traffic information requires a data connection.

• Program: Route 66
    • Cost: $149.95 USD
    • Link: Route 66 Navigate
    • Notes: Real time traffic information requires a data connection.

• Program: CoPilot
    • Cost: $149.99 USD
    • Link: CoPilot Live 6
    • Notes: Only has maps for Europe.

• Program: Nav4All
    • Link: Nav4All
    • Notes:

• Program: wayfinder
    • Cost: $99.00 USD
    • Link: wayfinder Navigator
    • Notes: Data usage of ~ 30 - 60 kB per hour of driving.

• Program: Mobile GMaps
    • Voice Navigation: No
    • Link: MGMaps
    • Notes: Displays maps from Yahoo! Maps, Windows Live Local, Ask.com, Open Street Map, and many more to provide information.

• Program: SmartComGPS
    • Cost: $40.00 USD
    • Link: SmartComGPS
    • Notes: Can create and alter your own maps.

• Program: Garmin Mobile XT
    • Cost: $99.99 USD
    • GPS Receiver: External
    • Link: Garmin Mobile XT
    • Notes: Real time traffic information, weather, gas prices, hotel rates, and other real time information requires a data connection. Scheduled to begin shipping Nov/Dec 2007.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Hi:

I have a question about a setting in my 95-3:

What does the option "Network based" do under "Settings">"General">"Positioning">"Positionin g methods"?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8

What does the option "Network based" do under "Settings">"General">"Positioning">"Positionin g methods"?
    That setting is for A-GPS.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The most frustrating part of this thread is that a few weeks ago I was looking into this and found what looked like a really good GPS app. Now I can't remember which one it was, but I'm pretty sure it isn't represented on this list yet

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 5gb
    Feedback Score
    If there was rep on hofo, you would get it.

Maybe add current versions too, so when people look at it they realize which version you're talking about?
    And also another field refering to if the Voice Guidance reads out the street names or not?

Device(s)
    5800 XM
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo All The Way (tm)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuis
    That setting is for A-GPS.
    Hmm, if network based positioning needs to be selected, then that might explain why my N95 hasn't locked on to any satellites in the past week.....

There is another option for assisted positioning which I assumed was the only option needed for A-GPS. Turning on network based positioning essentially kills my tmobile signal, which led me to believe it's the option that networks use to enable pseudo gps on phones without a built in gps chip.
    Please sir, I want some more.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coomac
    Hmm, if network based positioning needs to be selected, then that might explain why my N95 hasn't locked on to any satellites in the past week.....

There is another option for assisted positioning which I assumed was the only option needed for A-GPS. Turning on network based positioning essentially kills my tmobile signal, which led me to believe it's the option that networks use to enable pseudo gps on phones without a built in gps chip.
    So the 4 options in the 95-3 under "Settings">"General">"Positioning">"Positionin g methods" are:

Bluetooth GPS (not checked under default setting)
    Assisted GPS (Checked under default setting)
    Integrated GPS (Checked under default setting)
    Network based (not checked under default setting)

I am assuming I can leave the Network based unchecked and it is not for assisted GPS. Right?

Device(s)
    5800 XM
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo All The Way (tm)
    Feedback Score
    That's what I thought too, but macuis' post made me wonder.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Typically they are one and the same, A-GPS or Network Based rely on data from your wireless carriers network for positional information. I remember reading this on some other Nokia forum, and on a Cnet.co.UK review of the first N95. I'll post the link when I find it.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia forums one is under the heading Network-based positioning mechanisms where they seem to use the terminology interchangeably, and the Cnet.co.uk review, was a posted comment, the second last comment. Unless I'm totally off base on the fact that Network Based doesn't mean data at all. Maybe someone else may want to post, and let us know?

Device(s)
    5800 XM
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo All The Way (tm)
    Feedback Score
    I'm very confused here. This was my understanding:

AGPS - You lock on to 3-4 satellites and the assisting software scans the nokia database on the server: supl.nokia.com to find the cellphone towers closest to you... based on those satellites you locked on to. Your position between the towers is combined with the satellites to locate your exact position quickly.

Network based - The network itself collects the info without needing to use a third party database. Your position between the cellphone towers closest to you is used to get an estimate on your location and would have nothing to do with satellites. No gps chip would actually be needed for this.

I'm certainly not an expert on this, so please do correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: Heh should have hit post after I finished typing, rather than going off to answer the phone. Not so confusing now that I read Nokia's explanation of it.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for this thread, was just about to ask for this exact sort of thing!

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    so let me get this straight... almost all of the GPS requires data usage somewhere? Therefore in Canada where data usage plans are for millionaires, we would have to pay data rates to our wireless providers for each usage of GPS? Also some GPS costs money , but the data usage is free? That would be better in the long run then. can some expert explain these to me? Because I wold like to use the GPS function once I get the Nokia E90, but don't want to pay the crazy data rates in Canada for each use! thx very much!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast