Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS and Mapping Guide for Beginners

Device(s)
    Nokia N82 + 8GB Sandisk MicroSDHC + Nokia BH-501
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyhigher
    so let me get this straight... almost all of the GPS requires data usage somewhere? Therefore in Canada where data usage plans are for millionaires, we would have to pay data rates to our wireless providers for each usage of GPS? Also some GPS costs money , but the data usage is free? That would be better in the long run then. can some expert explain these to me? Because I wold like to use the GPS function once I get the Nokia E90, but don't want to pay the crazy data rates in Canada for each use! thx very much!
    So download all the maps you'll every need directly to the phone so you won't use data to download them on the fly. If you're getting an N95, disable AGPS. Simple as that.

Back in Black.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yep, you can definitely use GPS without incurring any data charges in Canada. You just have to make sure you use a program that doesn't require data, and turn off A-GPS.

Device(s)
    N97 Mini; E71; E51; N95; 6120 Classic
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real
    The most frustrating part of this thread is that a few weeks ago I was looking into this and found what looked like a really good GPS app. Now I can't remember which one it was, but I'm pretty sure it isn't represented on this list yet
    Yahoo! Go isn't represented on this list, but it ought to be for the sake of completeness. The maps app is similar to Google Maps for Mobile in that it can utilize the GPS receiver, display satellite views, and compute directions. I think it's vastly inferior to Google Maps, but some people might like it.

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    which program doesn't require data? like the Garmin one? Or with any programs can I just download all the maps I need like the previous post said, and then I won't have to pay data charges to download maps? or some program still requires data use for navigation even if you have all the maps?

Quote Originally Posted by ru4real
    Yep, you can definitely use GPS without incurring any data charges in Canada. You just have to make sure you use a program that doesn't require data, and turn off A-GPS.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Nokia Maps doesn't require data, it only needs it if your search for information comes up with nothing based on the maps you've already downloaded.
    Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score

Nokia Maps

I have a question about Nokia Maps download with N95-3. It seems the support website is Nokia Europe. The Map Loader shows one file for the entire "Americas" and the file size is about 1.35 Gig. It is too big for my 2 Gig card with other stuff on it already. Am I at the wrong site? Are there files just for individual States?

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8
    I have a question about Nokia Maps download with N95-3. It seems the support website is Nokia Europe. The Map Loader shows one file for the entire "Americas" and the file size is about 1.35 Gig. It is too big for my 2 Gig card with other stuff on it already. Am I at the wrong site? Are there files just for individual States?
    No, you have the right program. There is an ">" sign to the left of the "+" sign, when you click that, it'll open up Canada, USA, and other countries. Keep hitting the ">" until you only want to add what you want.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuis
    No, you have the right program. There is an ">" sign to the left of the "+" sign, when you click that, it'll open up Canada, USA, and other countries. Keep hitting the ">" until you only want to add what you want.
    Thanks!

A side question: When the phone uses the network to download map information for a location that you don't have any prior information stored on the phone. Where does these downloaded data go? Phone memory? Memory card? (probably not RAM).

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score

Question about purchasing Voice Guided Navagation on the N95-3

Is the Voice Guided Navagation transferrable from one Nokia phone to another Nokia phone? I am thinking about purchasing at least the 1 year term. But the 3 year term is not that much more expensive. I am also pretty sure I will be on another phone within the next year that I can use this GPS feature.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon 1400 A/T Mins
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Is the Voice Guided Navagation transferrable from one Nokia phone to another Nokia phone? I am thinking about purchasing at least the 1 year term. But the 3 year term is not that much more expensive. I am also pretty sure I will be on another phone within the next year that I can use this GPS feature.

I've heard that it wasnt transferrable. I think Ricky or Darla could answer that better as I seem to remember them discussing that a couple of months or so ago. As far as where does the information you download using the network that you dont have on your memory card, and where its stored...I presume its stored (if its even stored to begin with) to the memory card along with your other maps.
    1000th Post on March 27th, 2007 @ 11:09PM.
    2000th Post on July 30th, 2007 @ 9:05PM.
    3000th Post on Sept. 17th 2009 @ 8:20AM.

NOOB PHOTO BLOG

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

MY HOFO FEEDBACK

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks!

A side question: When the phone uses the network to download map information for a location that you don't have any prior information stored on the phone. Where does these downloaded data go? Phone memory? Memory card? (probably not RAM).
    The data is loaded on the memory card under cities>diskcache.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the navigation software is based on your IMEI(Phone Serial number), and ICCID (SIM card number). However, when you switch phones, you have to contact Nokia to have the software tied to a different IMEI, whereas switching a SIM card only requires you to update within the Nokia Maps application.

Device(s)
    N95-1 Sand
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i have a n93-1 sand and i was wondering how u setup the GPS and internet(not wifi)
    PAST PHONES( in order from first to current): Nokia 3595, Inno 30, Motorola v635, SE w810i, LG Chocolate, SE K790a, SE w850i, Sharp 903SH, N73 ME EDITION, N95-1 Sand

Device(s)
    tmobile g1
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    excellent thread btw

so for example, i have a nokia 6120c, do i need an external bluetooth gps receiver, then get google maps or the like?

or can i just download google maps.. etc, and not have to use any receiver or data and solely use the maps? or solely pay for data charges incurred?

Device(s)
    5800 XM
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo All The Way (tm)
    Feedback Score
    Google maps doesn't require a gps receiver. Just like google maps on the browser, you can search for locations and whatnot as long as you have an internet connection. However, if you want to know your exact location without having to look at street signs and addresses, then get a bluetooth receiver.
    Please sir, I want some more.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast