Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS and Mapping Guide for Beginners

Device(s)
    tmobile g1
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    ah ty coomac

any info on price/preferences of bt receivers?

Device(s)
    5800 XM
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo All The Way (tm)
    Feedback Score
    I'd recommend nokia's LD-3W. It locks on quickly and more importantly, the car charger will fit your nokia phone. Last I checked a while back, it was going for under 70 bucks on ebay.

There was a thread on these forums a week or so ago where people threw out suggestions for good bluetooth receivers. I think the garmin receiver got the most votes... don't know much about it though.
    Please sir, I want some more.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great thread - thanks.

Let me point out one additional factor. From reading reviews it appears to me that Nokia Maps is not as good as some of the others (eg. TomTom), BUT if I go with Nokia Maps and subscribe to the voice option I then have maps for everywhere. This means I can use it here in Canada and next summer in Europe on vacation.

It appears to me that, if I buy one of the other products such as TomTom, I would have to pay a lot extra to get the additional maps.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tominos

any info on price/preferences of bt receivers?
    I echo this question. What are some good bt gps receivers forums members are using?

By the way, EXCELLENT thread.
    www.mbworld.org

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i'm using the holux gpslim 240. great little receiver (i think it's still the smallest in the world), it's about the length/width/2x depth of a USB flash drive.

takes <1 min for an initial fix if you move it a far distance, and less so if it's in the same position it was when you turned it off. has an on/off switch for extending battery life as well.

in the car, it works in the glove box or in my armrest, and definitely doesn't need line of site to the satellite with the sirfstar iii chipset. also works well indoors, provided you're not in the basement or in a large concrete building.

so far, very pleased with it, got it for $50USD + shipping on ebay, so it's very affordable. BT connects very fast, and i've had no problems with any devices so far (laptop, e61i, bb pearl). i've used it with: nokia maps, google maps (latest version supports bt gps), and tomtom6. all work well.

downsides: only comes with a DC car charger, so unless you have a USB wall charger (from another phone or say a motorola bt headset), you have to charge from the car or with the included USB cable on a usb port from your computer (it does not work for data, only charging). you have to buy a separate cable if you are to use it on your computer over usb.
    [Google Nexus 4, Motorola Atrix, Apple iPhone 4, Blackberry Bold 9700, Nokia E61i, Motorola V635i, Motorola V400, Siemens A56]

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your insights rp_guy! I will look into the holux gpslim 240 further.

On the flipside, is there anyone who is absolutely displeased with their bt gps receiver? If so, please state make/model & issues.

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone comment on the Garmin Mobile XT compared to the TomTom? Also on the Garmin mobile website, it only listed 2 nokia phones compatible, N95 and N800, doesn't list the E90... will E90 work with Garmin Mobile XT? Since they both don't require data, they are my top 2 choices, thx everyone!

Furthermore can people comment on these 2? I been hearing great reviews on the 240, but the new M1200 not sure

SIRF III Holux GPSlim 240 VS Holux M1200 GPS receiver

-They are pretty much the same price, but the M1200 suppose to be better in terms of battery life/signal..etc So I want to make sure b4 i decide to shell out my money. Thansk guys!
    Last edited by Flyhigher; 11-04-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    does anyone know also if the Tomtom Navigator 6 works with the nokia e90?

Device(s)
    N82,N95-3 + BH-501, BH-902, [E61i, N93, E50, P990i, BB curve] Gone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyhigher
    Can anyone comment on the Garmin Mobile XT compared to the TomTom? Also on the Garmin mobile website, it only listed 2 nokia phones compatible, N95 and N800, doesn't list the E90... will E90 work with Garmin Mobile XT? Since they both don't require data, they are my top 2 choices, thx everyone!

Furthermore can people comment on these 2? I been hearing great reviews on the 240, but the new M1200 not sure

SIRF III Holux GPSlim 240 VS Holux M1200 GPS receiver

-They are pretty much the same price, but the M1200 suppose to be better in terms of battery life/signal..etc So I want to make sure b4 i decide to shell out my money. Thansk guys!
    People are pretty happy with the Holux GPSlim 240, so you can go and get that.

"Kentucky seeks to execute in a relatively humane manner and has worked hard to adopt such a procedure," Kentucky Attorney General Gregory Stumbo has said.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    i'd doubt the m-1200 is better on signal; sirf iii still has that crown. however, if anyone wants to do some more research, the m-1200 uses the same chipset as the m-1000, which is the MTK MT3318. it is not a sirf iii chipset, hence the differing battery life (higher) vs. the gpslim 240. they are nearly the same physical dimensions though. you will probably be able to find the m-1200 for slightly (~$10) cheaper than a gpslim 240.

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    does anyone know why I cant find any satellites on my nokia maps and maybe 1 or 2 on my google maps?

I press 0 to center in on my current gps location and its always wrong. I have a tmobile data plan and live in NYC so what am I doing wrong?
    N95 8GB
    N95 Games

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyhigher
    does anyone know also if the Tomtom Navigator 6 works with the nokia e90?
    Apparently it works with an external Bluetooth receiver (not the internal one). I read on another forum that the external screen works fine, but the internal screen is a bit buggy yet?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anybody have any thoughts about the navigational data? i.e. TeleAtlas or Navteq? Supposedly TeleAtlas is better for Europe and Navteq better for N. America. It appears that TomTom is now using TeleAtlas exclusively and now TomTom and Garmin are both bidding for TeleAtlas after Navteq was scooped up by Nokia.

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkadilla
    Apparently it works with an external Bluetooth receiver (not the internal one). I read on another forum that the external screen works fine, but the internal screen is a bit buggy yet?
    wow... where is the forum? is the source reliable? because the whole point is you want to use it on the internal screen, if its buggy, theres no point? can someone comment on the Tomtom navigator 6 GPS usage with external bluetooth receiver on the internal screen of the e90? thx!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    check your messages

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast