Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS and Mapping Guide for Beginners

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyhigher
    Can anyone comment on the Garmin Mobile XT compared to the TomTom? Also on the Garmin mobile website, it only listed 2 nokia phones compatible, N95 and N800, doesn't list the E90... will E90 work with Garmin Mobile XT? Since they both don't require data, they are my top 2 choices, thx everyone!

Furthermore can people comment on these 2? I been hearing great reviews on the 240, but the new M1200 not sure

SIRF III Holux GPSlim 240 VS Holux M1200 GPS receiver

-They are pretty much the same price, but the M1200 suppose to be better in terms of battery life/signal..etc So I want to make sure b4 i decide to shell out my money. Thansk guys!
    Oh! Last time I checked, Garmin XT wasn't even shipping yet. I see that it is now. I'm looking forward to a review from someone (especially comparing it to the built in Nokia Maps app, since I'm trying to decide between subscribing to that or getting this app from Garmin)

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    Just want to share what I found, from what I read, it is true that the TomTom Navigator 6 is weird on the internal screen because it can't handle the size, so it produces 2 images. However this is easily fixed by either switching to main menu and back, or by Installing a application (I forgot the name), and that application somehow fixes this problem. So seems to me like its a small issue that can be easily bypassed.

Quote Originally Posted by mkadilla
    Apparently it works with an external Bluetooth receiver (not the internal one). I read on another forum that the external screen works fine, but the internal screen is a bit buggy yet?

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    I read alot of reviews on how Nokia Maps isn't as detailed compared to others like Tomtom/Garmin. However Garmin XT only works with its own BT GPS receiver, since I am planning on getting the holux 240, I can only go with the Tomtom. Besides, the cost to subscribe to nokia maps will add up, and the Applications you buy are only a one-time fee.

Quote Originally Posted by ru4real
    Oh! Last time I checked, Garmin XT wasn't even shipping yet. I see that it is now. I'm looking forward to a review from someone (especially comparing it to the built in Nokia Maps app, since I'm trying to decide between subscribing to that or getting this app from Garmin)

Feedback Score
    The old version of Garmin Mobile XT is only compatible with Garmin's own BT GPSr. However, there is a new version out and Garmin did a press release saying that it is compatible with 3rd party BT GPS receivers.

I heard a lot of great things about XT. Like free traffic data (instead of subscription based) which I definitely need.

Awaiting someone to do a review on it.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Centennial Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm new here and a total noob to GPS and these Nokia smartphones. I just bought the N95 8GB and have downloaded the Nokia maps. I'm thinking of purchasing Route 66 navigation because it doesn't require data usage. With Route 66 is it necessary to have Nokia maps even loaded? Does anyone have experience with this program? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Route 66 uses their own map data and not Nokia Maps.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Centennial Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Then I should be able to remove the Nokia map data and freeup some space?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    that is correct

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This may be a little off topic, but does anyone have the Nokia Maps Loader Version 1.1? I know there is a 1.2 version but supposedly that one no longer has the tracking feature. I'd greatly appreciate any help (I've already tried googling but can't find that actual file!)

Feedback Score
    Just received my Garmin Mobil XT and installed it into my AT&T Tilt. Works fine. Very similar interface to Garmin Mobil 10 which I had on a 8525 except now I can use my internal GPS and not carry around that little blinking brick. I ordered it from Amazon thru Antonline. It shipped same day and arrived the next day (very close warehouse). I haven't played around with it yet but expect it to be the same as Mobile 10. BTW, it does have free traffic overlayed from traffic.com, fuel prices, weather, and hotel prices.

Device(s)
    Nokia E90!!!
    Feedback Score
    does it work with non-garmin BT GPS receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by tnrst1
    Just received my Garmin Mobil XT and installed it into my AT&T Tilt. Works fine. Very similar interface to Garmin Mobil 10 which I had on a 8525 except now I can use my internal GPS and not carry around that little blinking brick. I ordered it from Amazon thru Antonline. It shipped same day and arrived the next day (very close warehouse). I haven't played around with it yet but expect it to be the same as Mobile 10. BTW, it does have free traffic overlayed from traffic.com, fuel prices, weather, and hotel prices.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I was pretty disappointed with Nokia maps. It won't even show your position on the route (track) unless you subscribe to their service. The odd thing is that if you run the "start simulation" it tracks and gives you voice navigation. So everything has to be there for those features but just not enabled. Is there any way to enable that without subscribing? Google maps actually tracks your progress on the map but still doesn't warn you of turns or give voice navigation.

I've been using a Garmin E Trex that gives you a tone and indicates upcoming turns, etc. but no voice nav.

My question is if I can load the Garmin Navigator software on my N95-3 and will it work or do I have to buy the Garmin XT version that just came out? And, do either of them work with the internal Nokia GPS? I don't want to have to carry around another BT receiver.

As a side note the Nokia Maps take up a lot of space. The US maps won't fit on the 1 GB sd card that came with the N95-3. Had to pare it down to about 15 states to fit on that card.

Feedback Score
    tnrst1,

Have you tried TomTom before? I'm just wondering because TomTom has really good phone integration and use very little resource. For example, TomTom turns BT on automatically on my 8525 when I just open it up. Also, when a phone call comes in TomTom can smoothly run in the background. Can you comment on this? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by tnrst1

Device(s)
    HTC Touch HD
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyhigher
    does it work with non-garmin BT GPS receiver?
    yes it does.. i have it installed and running on my N95-2.. and i must say better than the crappy Nokia Maps...
    "Vampires are make-believe, like Elves, Gremlins, and Eskimos...." Homer

Feedback Score
    I have briefly played with Tom Tom before. I used the version that is free to Tytn II devices with one local map. I was used to Garmin already and the cost of more maps ($149) vs the Garmin which included maps (less than $99) was my deciding factor. Having now used it for a couple of days I do have a pretty decent gripe with the Garmin. The SD card it 2Gb and it is somehow copy protected so I can not just transfer it to my 4Gb card. Looks like for now I will just have to swap cards to go from mega storage to navigation mode. It looks pretty friendly to accepting other GPS receivers but I have not tried anything other than the internal GPS in my phone. Anyone have any ideas on getting this running on my other storage card? The software runs but the GPS is disabled.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast