Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS and Mapping Guide for Beginners

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

GPS and Mapping Guide for Beginners

A thread dedicated to those who have questions about the use of the Global Positioning System (GPS) instrument in their mobile device. Programs that can be used with your S60 device, and their associated features will also be discussed.

Accronym Glossary
    GPS (Global Positioning System): An internal or external device that is used to determine its location in relation to three or more satellites orbiting around the earth. This device does not incur data charges, since your cellular provider's wireless network is not used for positional information.
    A-GPS (Assisted Global Position System): An external assistance server that provides a GPS device information from the wireless network to enhance positioning accuracy, and response time when GPS signals may be low due to, but not limited to tall buildings, or atmospheric conditions. The assistance server requires data and does incur data charges, since your cellular provider's wireless network is used for positional information. Can lower the time required to find your position from a few minutes, to a few seconds.
    POI (Points of Interest): A location or point on the map that may be of interest to the user with applicable business information. Could be an address, gas station, the Toronto CN tower, or a Restaurant.
    TTFF (Time to First Fix): The time required for a GPS device to acquire satellite information. To obtain a fix, a GPS device needs both Almanac (parameters for all satellites in the GPS constellation), and Ephemeris (precise orbital, and clock correction parameters) data to obtain your location. There are four start types:
    • Factory: GPS receiver has no Almanac information, and no Ephemeris information. Typically a 10 - 15 minute start up.
    • Cold: GPS receiver has some Almanac information, but no Ephemeris information. Typically a 60 - 90 second start up when the GPS receiver has been off for a period of 8 - 12 hours. Most observed scenario when GPS is not used often or when phone has just been turned on.
    • Warm: GPS receiver has Almanac information, and some Ephemeris information. Typically a 30 - 60 second start up when the GPS receiver has been off for a period of 30 minutes.
    • Hot: GPS receiver has Almanac information, and almost all Ephemeris information. Typically a 1 - 20 second start up when the GPS receiver has been off for a period of 15 minutes or less.

Note: Obtaining a quicker TTFF occurs when one is stationary. Driving or walking may increase TTFF times.

Program Description

Each application will be broken down by:

• Program: Program name
    • Cost: Program cost
    • GPS Receiver: Internal - Integrated GPS antenna; and/or External - Wireless Bluetooth GPS antenna
    • Maps: Pre-loaded to memory card or downloaded via server
    • Voice Navigation: Voice guided turn-by-turn directions
    • Link: Website information
    • *Notes: Additional information of interest

Final thoughts on data usage. Data is used in the following three ways:
    • A-GPS
    • Obtaining maps
    • Online searching of an address or POI

All three can be disabled, except for those that require data to gather mapping information. To obtain the richest experience possible, a data package is recommended. Check with you wireless provider for data plans either monthly, or pay per use.

Applications

The following two apps are, in my eyes, the most likely to be used for navigation with your Nokia device.

• Program: #1 Ovi Maps
    • Cost: Free*
    • GPS Receiver: Internal
    • Maps: Pre-loaded to memory card
    • Voice Navigation: Yes*
    • Link: Ovi Maps
    • *Free Navigation for Nokia Smartphones began March 2010, with some older devices also receiving free navigation. Devices not listed will require a paid subscription

• Program: #2 Google Maps
    • Cost: Free
    • GPS Receiver: Internal
    • Maps: Downloaded via server*
    • Voice Navigation: No
    • Link: Google Maps
    • *Data connection required to obtain maps

• Program: Route 66
    • Cost: $149.99 USD
    • GPS Receiver: Internal and External
    • Voice Navigation: Yes
    • Link: Route 66

• Program: amAze
    • Maps: Downloaded via server
    • Link: amAze
    • Notes: Has an Economy Mode for low data usage of ~ 10 - 20 kB, and Full Map Mode for high res moving maps.

• Program: TomTom*
    • GPS Receiver: External
    • Link: TomTom Navigation
    • *Product has been discontinued

• Program: CoPilot*
    • Maps: Pre-loaded to memory card*
    • Link: CoPilot Live
    • *Product has been discontinued

• Program: Nav4All
    • Link: Nav4All
    • *Data connection required to obtain maps

• Program: wayfinder
    • Cost: $99.00 USD
    • Voice Navigation: Yes*
    • Link: wayfinder Navigator
    • *Data usage of ~ 30 - 60 kB per hour of driving.

• Program: SmartComGPS
    • Cost: $40.00 USD
    • Link: SmartComGPS
    • *Can create and alter your own maps.

• Program: Garmin Mobile XT*
    • Cost: $99.99 USD
    • GPS Receiver: External
    • Link: Garmin Mobile XT
    • *Product has been been discontinued.
    Last edited by macuis; 12-24-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Updating information... in progress...
    Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should add that TOMTOM requires an external GPS unit.

This is otherwise an excellent thread and should be stickied

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tran
    You should add that TOMTOM requires an external GPS unit.

This is otherwise an excellent thread and should be stickied
    Thanks, for the info, I'll update it!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    oooh, this SO needs to be stickied!! WTG! It really is about time!

Need to be added to the list:

• Smart2Go
    • Nav4All
    • Wayfinder

Device(s)
    Nokia E61i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i wish e61i had gps

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real
    oooh, this SO needs to be stickied!! WTG! It really is about time!

Need to be added to the list:

• Smart2Go
    • Nav4All
    • Wayfinder
    Thanks for the applications, I'll update it.

Device(s)
    HP/Palm Pre 3
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4real
    • Smart2Go
    Smart2Go is Nokia Maps.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...Maps_solut.php
    [ f l a s h ! ] - "What's the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?!?"

Previous phones: BlackBerry 9100, BlackBerry 9700, BlackBerry 9000, BlackBerry 8830, Nokia E61i, Nokia 6300, BlackBerry Pearl 8100, BlackBerry 7250, Motorola RAZR V3 (black), Nokia N-Gage QD, Danger Hiptop, SE T68i, Nokia 8390, Handspring VisorPhone/Prism, Ericsson T18z, Nokia 3390, Nokia 5190/Analog Module (for that drive from TO->MTL), Ericsson CF388, and an original Cantel Amigo!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    MGmaps also.

NOTE: No navigation options, but it's everything Google Maps has + Yahoo, MSN, Ask.com maps...

Feedback Score
    Great thread.

I think you need to add some criteria though. For example:

Vector versus Rastor Maps. Vector (lines) are almost always has quicker zoom (on devices which can handle it...ie. S60 devices) and routable / navigatable features on the map (on the device). Rastor maps are pictures which are downloaded to the phone. Vector maps take up much less space because its just datapoints. Rastor maps are big, but show more visual detail.

There are some programs that let you create your own Rastor maps from scanned maps, and even from Google Earth. Teh only vector map programs which allow you to create your own maps I know are limited for WM devices and use a format called "Polish Format". Its actually really cool format for creating your own vector maps because you can convert your tracks into map elements... but I have not found a native S60 app for it. (there are WM programs for these though... also see: GPSmapedit, and uh...

There are actually a few cheap programs that can be used with custom made raster maps. I'm not going to provide links to all of them... you can find some of them at allaboutsymbian.com and some on the freeware symbian software sites. GpsMap ; PowerNavigation Pro ; SmartCom Navigator (http://www.wild-mobile.com/) . Although making your own maps is something few would want to do, you can get much better maps for outdoor activities and bicicle maps using these programs.

Also, there are a lot of very good Java programs for GPS, including one called MGMaps (google it if you want), which combines Google Map content with maps from other services and (I think) even has access to Chinese map providers. Trekbuddy is another one I have actually used... its more like a free-ware version of the Raster-map programs mentioned above.

BTW...

Program: Garmin XT
    Cost: don't know sorry, but expensive (I'm too tired to look it up now)
    Maps: Pre-loaded to memory card
    Data Usage: no
    Voice Navigation: Turn by turn detail by voice
    Link: will update this later
    Notes: The most popular, best quality GPS maker. But all their software only works with their own GPS devices. No maps of China BTW.

Feedback Score
    i agree, great thread, the costs should be cleared up though if you're aiming at beginners, for instance, data costs in the UK can be very high, so if users are downloading maps as they go, a 'free' app like aMaze can become very expensive, very quickly !

Device(s)
    SGS5
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    You should add with Route 66 the internal GPS of N95 works with it.

Device(s)
    CURRENT! N97 White / iPhone 16gb (white) / N75 (whored out) / 7280 (back-up)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, GREAT THREAD, it is MUCHO appreciated......but, might I add that with each application it say whether or not it uses the internal GPS

---THANKS
    ______________________ ___________________

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comments. I can't seem to edit my original post, so maybe I need a mod to help me on that, but I'll update the info as best as I can with all your suggestions.

Device(s)
    CURRENT! N97 White / iPhone 16gb (white) / N75 (whored out) / 7280 (back-up)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuis
    Thanks for the comments. I can't seem to edit my original post, so maybe I need a mod to help me on that, but I'll update the info as best as I can with all your suggestions.
    Yea, you will have to contact a Mod....after a set number of hours you can't re-edit your post

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    One more piece of information to add: is the app Java or native S60? At least in the case of Google Maps, the re-release as an S60 app made a HUGE difference in performance.
    Nothing.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast