Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FCC Approves Alltel Purchase

Device(s)
    BLackberry Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon - Former Alltel
    Feedback Score

FCC Approves Alltel Purchase

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) consented
    to the applications filed in connection with the proposed acquisition of ALLTEL Corporation
    (ALLTEL) by private equity firm, Atlantis Holdings, LLC (Atlantis), subject to certain
    conditions. ALLTEL provides wireless voice and data services to more than 12 million wireless
    customers in 36 states. Atlantis is a holding company for certain investment funds ultimately
    controlled by the principals of TPG Capital, L.P. and The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-277647A1.pdf

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    GAH. it finally happened. something tells me this isnt going to go down the way I would like it to. We're all rolly gonna get sold off in chunks to another carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by albertats
    GAH. it finally happened. something tells me this isnt going to go down the way I would like it to. We're all rolly gonna get sold off in chunks to another carrier.
    I find that hard to believe considering how much money Alltel makes.

Although, we did at one point have a "Big Fish eats medium fish eats little fish" picture where Midwest was eaten by Alltel and then Alltel was eaten by VZW.

But that would have to happen after the non-selling clause in the agreement

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just hope they sell my market (Litchfield County, CT) to Verizon. Verizon had good service throughout the Northeast but really needs to build out my market. Selling to them for that market only would be perfect.. as long as they honor our current plans.

Fingers crossed.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jutt
    I just hope they sell my market (Litchfield County, CT) to Verizon. Verizon had good service throughout the Northeast but really needs to build out my market. Selling to them for that market only would be perfect.. as long as they honor our current plans.

Fingers crossed.
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that Jutt, since Verizon got Licensed in Litchfield County they have been expanding their network like crazy. Colebrook, Winsted, Barkhamsted, New Milford, Litchfield, Torrington (in several spots), etc. For them to purchase Alltel in Litchfield County it would not expand their network by much. I do agree that Alltel does need to expand its native coverage in CT but, right now when you cannot use native service you can FRM to Sprint and Verizon. I think we have the best of both worlds. Plus, I don't think Verizon's price plans are even fair compared to Alltel's.
    Maybe I am just hopeful that Alltell will not be broken up and split apart.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Goodness. I finally get the service I've wanted for years, voice and evdo, and now they sell ? I hope this doesn't ruin my services.

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's not going to happen. Did you guys see how much money Alltel just MADE this quarter? There is some speculation in the industry that there was another reason for the purchase that revolves around next-gen data. If that speculation is true, there is some *really* cool stuff coming down the pike for business users, and probably home or personal data services too.

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybain
    It's not going to happen. Did you guys see how much money Alltel just MADE this quarter? There is some speculation in the industry that there was another reason for the purchase that revolves around next-gen data. If that speculation is true, there is some *really* cool stuff coming down the pike for business users, and probably home or personal data services too.
    I've really got to agree with this. The company that purchased alltel also has its hands in a number of next-gen data, WiFi, and other similar services. They've got too much invested in telecommunications to just get rid of alltel's customers and make a quick profit. And alltel has already proven itself capable of profitability over the long-term.

My personal feel is that alltel needed a partner that could provide strong financial backing for the upcoming 700 MHz auction as was similarly stated in the FCC ruling. It's hard for a smaller corporation to bid successfully against larger corporations when all the stockholders care about is what happens this quarter. Now if alltel is shut out of the 700 MHz auction and is unable to acquire another largely metro provider like MetroPCS or Leap, then I may feel worse about the long-term prospects of alltel once its permanently shut out of most metro areas. But as of now, the prospects and chances of exponential growth are just too large.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybain
    Well, here's my prediction (based on nothing other than intuition and crap I've read elsewhere). Read carefully...

"The company" will be split up and sold to a couple of different providers!

Note that I said "THE COMPANY" and not "ALLTEL"... for it's NOT Alltel that will be split up. In fact, Alltel will be one of the buyers.

"The company" is Sprint. I predict that the recent changes at the top are a prelude to major changes. What I see happening is the Nextel division being sold off to whoever wants it (no idea who) and then the remainder of Sprint's wireless services going up for bid. And Alltel will be first in line to buy up spectrum, since it will give them inroads into the major metro areas they are currently locked out of. Alltel is the only one with the money and motivation to make this happen, since the other major providers (Verizon?) wouldn't be interested as it would be a duplication of coverage for them.

This would be a logical step toward Alltel becoming more of a major player.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but it makes more sense than any of the other scenarios.
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by answerman
    Well, here's my prediction (based on nothing other than intuition and crap I've read elsewhere). Read carefully...

"The company" will be split up and sold to a couple of different providers!

Note that I said "THE COMPANY" and not "ALLTEL"... for it's NOT Alltel that will be split up. In fact, Alltel will be one of the buyers.

"The company" is Sprint. I predict that the recent changes at the top are a prelude to major changes. What I see happening is the Nextel division being sold off to whoever wants it (no idea who) and then the remainder of Sprint's wireless services going up for bid. And Alltel will be first in line to buy up spectrum, since it will give them inroads into the major metro areas they are currently locked out of. Alltel is the only one with the money and motivation to make this happen, since the other major providers (Verizon?) wouldn't be interested as it would be a duplication of coverage for them.

This would be a logical step toward Alltel becoming more of a major player.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but it makes more sense than any of the other scenarios.
    That would be awesome if it happens. Sprint & Google have been moving closer to one another too, so if Alltel ends up reaping the fruits of those labors, it will be good. No matter how you feel about Google, they are getting ready to do something really big in the telecom industry... and it's going to bring products (GPhone??) and services (web-based of course) to consumers at little or no cost.

Google also owns a ton of dark fiber that could be used to link up their data centers. They have also developed a mobile data center that has the dimensions roughly equivalent to the box car on a train. They have also expressed a strong desire to participate in the 700MHz auction. In fact, I'd say that their bidding on 700MHz is a done deal.

If/when Google partners with a cellular carrier, I predict that they will roll out hundreds or thousands of their mobile data centers. They will load them on the back of trains, and send them to destinations throughout the US. Once they are unloaded, they will be delivered to cell sites where they will be connected to the 700MHz cellular network. At that point, on the back end, they can link up all of these cell sites to all of that dark fiber they bought up a few years back (for practically nothing I might add).

We live in exciting times.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I'm reading all this user speculation, this is going to be a good thing for us... phew. I always get worried when things change and I'm not in the "know" lol.

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, after that Michael Douglas movie (Wall Street) came out 20 years ago, everyone *assumes* that the only reason to buy a company is to divvy it up and sell it off in pieces and hope that the sale of the parts will turn a profit. I'm not trying to flame anyone by saying this, but it is sort of short-sighted and ignorant to assume that is what always happens. Boy, Hollywood sure can make an impact on what people think!

TPG Capital and Goldman Sachs (new owners of Alltel) have made some interesting moves in the past year and they seem to be hand-picking a group of companies that they can bring together to build the next generation of wireless services. I don't see them purchasing some of the companies they now have in their portfolio just to do this to. Here's an interesting article on Silverlake's site (reposted from the San Jose Mercury News) to back up what I'm saying about the reasons that investment groups are buying up publicly-traded companies and going private with them: http://www.silverlake.com/pdfs/sj-me...e---041006.pdf

Besides - did you see that Alltel had a NET profit of almost $300 million? That puts them on course to make over $1 Billion dollars in NET profit over the course of a year if they simply continue to do what they are doing. Can you see anyone dividing up a company that makes $1 Billion in NET profit each year?

It simply won't happen. And - I'm excited to see what is coming down the pike now that the purchase is complete. I predict that we'll be the beneficiaries of some really neat new services. Let's hope things go well in the upcoming 700MHz auction too - I think a lot hinges on that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    kenny,

Great insight to the "buy-out". I hope we do see some great services out of this.

Device(s)
    Moto Q
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    so is ALLTEl a private company now? new to this terminology...
    i have peas on my head but dont call me a pee head..

New ppc-6700 users check out these sites
    PPC6700users.com
    PDAphonehome.com

Device(s)
    3G iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxblaza117
    so is ALLTEl a private company now? new to this terminology...
    Yes, Alltel are now a private company, owned by TPG Capital and GS Capital Partners. Under the agreement just passed, both companies paid a little over $70 for each share of stock that was outstanding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast