Thread: Any MPx220 users on T-Mobile? Got a tip for ya.

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Any MPx220 users on T-Mobile? Got a tip for ya.

Yes, I'm talking to the one out there (perhaps it's just myself) with either an unbranded or unlocked cingular mpx220. This is for you:

How to get "push" email on your mpx220 phone via t-mobile email triggers. This even works if you're just on the t-zones plan. Email Triggers is not true 'push' email but instead, t-mobile sends your device a sms whenever you get new email, which triggers an application on your device to automatically download the email. There is a delay from the whole receive sms and download email procedure. Don't worry about sms costs since trigger sms'es are free. This has only been tested on t-mobile us.

1. We need two t-mobile email trigger files from the wm2003 t-mobile pocketpc, hp6315. Just download tmobile_email_trigger_only.zip from here and extract the files InBoxDriver.exe and mapirule.dll. I used a trial of cabwuz and did an export of the cab file. You may want to check out the file "hp TMobile_Email_Triggers.inf" as it will show what registry changes we will make later.

Copy the two files to \storage\windows\.

I had experimented with the trigger files from the t-mobile u.s. sda, running wm5, but I think the wm5 vs wm2003 difference made it not work. I hear the newer t-mobile wm devices, especially the wm6 ones, don't have trigger support. I think you can use the procedure here as a guide in conjunction with with wm5 trigger files to get that triggers working on those devices.

2. Use a registry editor to access your device. I suggest a PC-based one that connects to your device over activesync.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DAT]
    "Proxy"="216.155.165.50:8080"
    "NotifySrv"="myemail.t-mobile.com"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\SM S\Rules]
    "{E85FD9C3-4F5E-4c75-8C21-0F850274DEF5}"=dword:1

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E85FD9C3-4F5E-4c75-8C21-0F850274DEF5}\InprocServer32]
    (Default)="\storage\windows\mapirule.dll"

3. On the device, create a shortcut to \storage\windows\inboxdriver.exe and put it in your startup folder. Now either run inboxdriver.exe or restart your device to have the startup shortcut run it. Since inboxdriver.exe is an application, you have to be careful of not accidentally terminating it.

4. Login to t-mobile.com. Since t-mobile doesn't carry the mpx220, you're probably familiar with the website prompting your to select the phone that you have. You have to select one of the following email trigger supporting devices: dash, mda, sda, a630, or h6315.

Under communications tools, click 'Access my email' or 'Setup my email'.
    Here you can add pop3 mailboxes for t-mobile to check. If you enter a gmail address, the website will automatically pick the correct connection settings to gmail. I'll use gmail as an example here:

a. Click 'Add New Mailbox'
    b. Enter your gmail address and gmail password.
    For now, uncheck [ ] "Notify me when new mail arrives in this mailbox" since you don't want to start getting sms'es about new emails before your phone is ready.
    Next.
    c. Finish.
    d. On the left, click settings \ mailboxes. Then on the right, click Edit next to your newly added mailbox.
    In the General section, you can change the email address to another email address if you want your replies from your phone to have a different sender email address. This is useful if you are forwarding your non-pop3 emails to gmail (such as your company emails) and want replies to go back to your company email address.

Click POP settings and make note of the info here as you will use this on your device.

Notice that the userid is your phonenumber:<mailboxnumber>. If you only have one trigger mailbox, <mailboxnumber> is 1. The second mailbox you add would be 2. And so on.

5. On the device, start > messaging. Click on any account, menu > options > account setup > menu > new.

Your name: <need i tell you?>
    email address: <need i tell you?>
    uncheck [ ] Attempt to obtain e-mail settings from the internet.
    Next

Username: <mailboxnumber> eg: 123-555-5555:1
    Password: <your gmail password!>
    check [x] Save Passsword
    Next

Server type: POP3
    Account name: <anything you want, like your gmail address>
    Network: The Internet
    Next.

Incoming Server: myemail.t-mobile.com
    Outgoing Server: myemail.t-mobile.com
    check [x]Outgoing server requires authentication
    Next.

Download the following messages: all messages
    First 5000 bytes.
    Next.

NOTE: I strongly advise you use the above settings since wm + pop3 + gmail can be a *****. If you tell it to only download x number of messages, I believe your device will always grab all email headers, even for emails it already has downloaded. If you have hundreds of old emails, this can take awhile, which is silly if you only got one new email. This is bad especially since you can't receive calls while data is active. Also, perhaps it's the nature of pop3, but if you tell it to grab the entire message, your device delete the email from your device the next time it grabs more emails from the server. I would love to hear theories on this crap.

Connect automatically and check for messages: never <duh>
    Next.

Finish.

6. Go back to the t-mobile website and check the contents of each trigger mailbox you've setup. If you don't want your device to download old emails and get hit with hundreds of sms'es now, you can delete them here, which won't affect your original emails at gmail.

When you are ready, click settings \ alerts on the left and enable alerts for your mailboxes and add an alert for all mailboxes or each mailbox based on any special rules you want to set up. I just have t-mobile send me an alert when I get new emails.

7. If all goes well, when you get a new email, your device will get a sms that you won't see, and a few seconds later, it will automatically connect to t-mobile to download the latest emails for that mailbox. If it doesn't work, you may want to do a manual send/receive on your device to verify your mailbox settings.

Long live the mpx220! Well, at least my dpad is better than yours!
    Last edited by badbob001; 10-29-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    HP hw6945 Mobile Messenger (Retired)
    HP hw6515 Mobile Messenger (Retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can also use recentgmail username) to just pull the last 30 days worth of email, and then you can bring in the entire message each time without worrying about it disappearing each time you do a send/receive.

If you're one of the gmail users who now has IMAP activated, you can just use your normal login/password and it will show your complete messages every time AND will change the read/unread status on the server.

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tendomentis
    You can also use recentgmail username) to just pull the last 30 days worth of email, and then you can bring in the entire message each time without worrying about it disappearing each time you do a send/receive.
    I know about the "recent" trick, but if you have 500 emails in the last 30 days, it's pretty wasteful to pull down 500 emails to get one new email. On t-mobile's network, that can take hours and you'll miss a lot of calls. Perhaps pop3 support on wm devices have improved since wm2003. Do you actually use pop3 on your wm device daily?

IMAP may be better, but tmo's email triggers don't support imap.

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile's email triggers work just fine with IMAP. I'm using triggers with two of my IMAP Gmail accounts, and it works beautifully. The first download took awhile, but after that it is very quick and painless.

You can also use the program PushEffect to detect T-Mobile triggers and trigger an email send/receive. This is handy as WM6 doesn't support the native T-Mobile trigger program.

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile's email triggers work just fine with IMAP. I'm using triggers with two of my IMAP Gmail accounts, and it works beautifully. The first download took awhile, but after that it is very quick and painless.

You can also use the program PushEffect to detect T-Mobile triggers and trigger an email send/receive. This is handy as WM6 doesn't support the native T-Mobile trigger program.
    I had not idea myemail.t-mobile.com supported imap. I will have to check it out. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip on PushEffect. When I get a wm6 device (shadow?), I'll first try to shoehorn the tmo trigger apps to the device and if that doesn't work, I'll try PushEffect.

Do you have any suggestions for a 'desktop email redirector' type application to forward emails from outlook (exchange) to an external mailbox like gmail? I can't use outlook rules since redirects are blocked by the corporate exchange servers. I currently use Microsoft Outlook Mobile Manager to redirect outlook emails to an internal smtp server. It works fine, but it alters the email formatting, truncates long emails, and has no authentication options for smtp.

Hmm. This thread should probably be moved to the windows mobile sub-forum.

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Corporate mail is no fun

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. I had some minor luck with the SEVEN push mail beta (just google "seven beta") though. It pulls and sends your corporate mail through Outlook Web Access (if you have access to that), or it provides a desktop redirector to redirect your email from Outlook to your handheld. It also works with pretty much every other mail account in existence.

It is still in beta though. I use it off and on because it has the reliability of a beta app.

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe it's me, but I can't access myemail.t-mobile.com via IMAP on my t-zones plan.

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Okay, I see the confusion.

You're not trying to setup an IMAP email account to work on T-Mobile's email, you're trying to connect to the T-Mobile email servers themselves using IMAP. That won't work. T-Mobile's servers are only POP.

Here's what I did:

I set up my IMAP account on T-Mobile's website under "Access My Email". I set up the account to send triggers to my device when I receive new mail.
    Then I setup my handheld to access the IMAP email account itself directly, without going through T-Mobile's servers (so my handheld is going to imap.gmail.com, not the myemail tmobile server).
    Then I set up PushEffect to do a send/receive on that IMAP account on my handheld when it receives an email with the "(my phone number):1" in the body of the text. T-Mobile sends a text message to your device when you get new email on an account you've set up on T-Mobile's site, and the body of that text has "(your phone number):1" for the first email account setup, "(your phone number):2" for the second email account setup, etc...

So, when I get new email in that account, T-Mobile sends an invisible trigger to my device for that account that PushEffect takes and uses to initiate a send/receive for the account I set up manually on my device, thereby giving me push IMAP email on my handheld using T-Mobile triggers.

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I do have no problems connecting to gmail's servers over IMAP. Refreshing!

I don't think your idea of using T-mobile's triggers to initiate a connection to gmail instead of myemail.t-mobile.com would work for me since I believe this requires the pusheffect software and would not work with the standard t-mobile trigger software. My mpx220 is still wm2003 and pusheffect only works on wm5/6. I believe the t-mobile trigger software works by matching the sms id (eg: 1235551212:1) with the login id of my mailboxes. If I were to configure my mailboxes to connect to gmail instead, I would no longer be using 1235551212:1 as my login id and thus the trigger software would not find a match. I wonder if there are any registry hacks to get around this.

Maybe it's time to retire the mpx220... my baby daughter loves cell phones so I guess I can put the mpx220 on flight mode and have her at it...

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In your case, it might not work then. You'd be stuck with POP access to the T-Mobile servers as long as you use their trigger program. I loved my MPx220. It was brilliant for what I needed it for, and it was my first foray into push mail. Great for internet radio and music too.

Don't just cast it into hi-tech toy oblivion though. Grab a mini-sd wifi card and turn your phone into a dedicated skype phone for "around the house" calling.

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In your case, it might not work then. You'd be stuck with POP access to the T-Mobile servers as long as you use their trigger program. I loved my MPx220. It was brilliant for what I needed it for, and it was my first foray into push mail. Great for internet radio and music too.

Don't just cast it into hi-tech toy oblivion though. Grab a mini-sd wifi card and turn your phone into a dedicated skype phone for "around the house" calling.
    I love my mpx220 too, but Internet radio? Surely not over gprs? Maybe you should take out your old mpx220 and have a good look at it instead of relying on nostalgia. I don't this old thing can support a mini-sd wifi card (I think you would need sdio support for that) and I shudder to imagine running the pocketpc skype client on the 176 x 220 screen.

Phones
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Oh no, I used it to listen to the local news only radio station being broadcast over the internet. Vanilla GPRS was fine for that. More bandwidth intensive activities like streaming video had to be done on an activesync tethered connection.

There is an old thread on this message board (back when I owned an MPx220) about the spectec mini-sd being used in an MPx220. That was when it was brand new and kind of buggy, but it worked.

Also, there is a Skype for pocket pc's AND smartphones.

It would be more of a project to try it though. I was just thinking of a way your trusty *220 might still serve you. You could also get an expansion card for it and give it away as a media player.

Phones
    HTC Hermes(8525 - unlocked)
    Moto MPx220(Unlocked)
    Nokia 3120b(unlocked)
    Carrier
    T-Moblie
    Feedback Score
    Im still looking for a AIM client for my MPX220. has anyone sucsessfully ripped one from another phone and got it working on the MPX220?

all the others are now upgraded to the point they dont work on WM2003SE Smartphone, or they work like ****.

`Common MPX220 users on Tmo, help out!!!