Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Samsung A516 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Samsung A516 review:

I've been using the Samsung A516 now for 2 weeks as my primary line and wanted to comment on it's performance in the field.

Quick Specs
    Quadband GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    1.3 Mpix camera
    176x220 Internal screen
    96x96 external blue external screen
    MicoSD memory slot (1 gig free on 3 year memory promo as of time of writing)
    Video support recording / mms
    External touch sensitive MP3 controls

Reception:
    The Samsung A516 performed quite well in my trials
    It handled the on road drive test* admirably and, truth be told, was one of the loudest phone's i've used in quite a while. At full tilt, 7/7 it was to loud for me so i usually kept it at 4/7.

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

So in a nutshell, the A516 that i used worked very well, handled the network with ease and did it in one little loud package.

Sound Quality
    Incoming
    Like i mentioned earlier, the A516 is a loud phone. The earpiece itself is blistering and should satisy all of you out there who find other phones to be medium. It was so loud that I rarely ever used it on 7/7 and averaged 4/7 or 5/7 in the louder enviroments. The callers sounded natural and clean although some backbround hiss was present. More of a comfort noise I guess.

The A516 also didn't have any transmitter buzz that I could hear. Even in the weaker areas and the cantina it was still a solid performer

Outgoing
    The Outgoing call quality was equally good. The form factor of the flip puts the mic really close to your mouth so it's sensitivity doens't have to be so high. As a result you get good conversations with minimal backgroung noise even in the louder enviroments.

For those of you looking for a phone primarily for it's incomining volume and outgoing characteristics the A516 is a definite strong player in this
    So in a nutshell, the A516 that i used worked very well, handled the network with ease and did it in one little loud package.

speakerphone
    Along with the ridiculously loud earpiece the A516 has an equally ridiculous speakerphone. It's so loud at full volume it easily filled my office with conversation. Although it's worth noting that at full volume you're gonna get some distortion on the unit.

Camera
    The A516 features a 1.3 mpix camera without Flash.
    As most phones these days, the Camera is there for MMS and quick shots of your mobile life. The camera will take a half decent pic in ideal conditions and is pretty straightforward in it's usage.

Video
    The A516 will also handle Video.
    standard offer here really, Takes short clips that you can MMS to your friends which are usually up to 30 seconds.

Connectivity
    The A516 features bluetooth and USB connectivity options to keep you connected and mobile.

USB
    Out of the box the A516 comes with a proprietary USB cable.
    Simply install the driver and utilities on the CD and then connect your phone.
    You'll be loading/unloading pics/MP3's in no time

SYNC
    you can sync the A516 with your outlook but it's not the traditional SYNC like other Samsungs or other manufacter

Basically you have to load up the samsung program, import in your contacts FROM outlook and then PASTE those contacts into your phone. Needless to say it's not a full 2 way sync in the traditional sense of the term.

External Memory
    The A516 at the time of writing this was on the 1 gig Memory promo for 3 years
    as of Nov 1st it'll be on the 2 gig memory promo so you can't go wrong!

The memory card is located outside of the phone so removing the battery isn't necessary to get at the card.

Aesthetics
    The A516 has that classic Samsung Look. Clean, flowing lines, and lacquer black. The front of the phone is glossy black with heat sensitive touch controlls for your MP3 players.

The hinge of the A516 is also well designed.
    it's very fluid and wiggle free

Screen: Internal
    the screen is a 176x220 offering that is capable of 262k colours.
    The screen is rich and colorfull although nowadays anything under QVGA seems to coarse in it's resolution.

Screen: External
    The External LCD is a blue easy to read 96x96 display
    It's nothing fancy, but it works.

Keys
    The Keypad on the A516 is RAZR inspiried
    however, i had no issue using the unit. It was reponsive and had great tactile feel.

OS
    The OS on the samsung is pretty much standard issue. it's quick, does the job and looks good while doing it. It also allows numeric shortcuts a-la classic nokia for those of you who like to memorize key items you do on the phone a lot.

Battery
    Out of the Box the A516 provided me with enough Juice to easily last me a full day of hofo wap / sms and voice calls. EVen on the loudest settings for the earpiece i scored a full day with no complaints.

SMS
    The SMS system on the A516 is Standard issue T9
    easy to use, takes custom words and is really quick.

PRO's
    *Excellent battery life
    *Nice clean styling
    *Easy to read external LCD
    *Wickedly Loud earpiece
    *Insanely loud speakerphone

CON's
    *No full SYNC with outlook
    *background hiss @ all times
    *No flash for camera
    *Different port for charger (not same as D807 or prior Samsungs)

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Good review, and I agree with all comments, ESPECIALLY in regards to the volume. It is by far the loudest phone I have played with in a long time...7/7 is deafening.

It's a very nice little phone, and $49/3yr with 2GB is a good deal.

Device(s)
    Green SE K850i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've only sold one of these phones since they came out, and it was 2 days after we got them, so the guy just picked it without really looking at it (I just said it had stereo bluetooth, and it was really new) But other than that, it's been a bit outshadowed by our free krzrs (or other free ones), and the SE phones.
    But now that I know it's really loud I'll probably try suggesting it to older people, since the loud volume, the big numbers when you dial, big sized screen, and not tiny buttons. That is, if I can get an old person not to go on pay as you go.

Feedback Score
    Hi...I am 2 questions
    1) how about the vibrate alert....I have a razor...and if it is in my pocket..I can barrely feel it vibrating....
    2) the external touch button...is ther any way you can lock them...so if it is in your pocket it doesn't start going off by itself

Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung A516
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Nice review. New user here and I'm very happy with the hardware. I chose this model for it's robust solid build. (I'm a novice...keep that in mind).

I did use the vibrate feature and although I have nothing in the way of experience to campare to, the vibrate feature tickled me in all the right places sufficiently. I had it in my breast pocket and was quite surprised when it started dancing there.

I have found no controls to lock/unlock the external controls except in a setting for general sleep/standby mode thingy. Plainly put, the external touch controls deactivate after about 30 seconds while in use. I had to open the phone to reactivate if I wanted to skip a song or fast forward to the next song and about 30 seconds after closing again, the controls went dormant.

Just adding one more little thing in that the package included a set of hands free earphones. To my surprise they ROCK! Great sound and great volume control.

I didn't get the free 2/1 gig but I will be asking about that from the reseller when I go back to get my free case and car charger. (they were out of stock so wrote on the receipt they owe me)
    GO SENS GO!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Celnoob
    Nice review. New user here and I'm very happy with the hardware. I chose this model for it's robust solid build. (I'm a novice...keep that in mind).

I did use the vibrate feature and although I have nothing in the way of experience to campare to, the vibrate feature tickled me in all the right places sufficiently. I had it in my breast pocket and was quite surprised when it started dancing there.

I have found no controls to lock/unlock the external controls except in a setting for general sleep/standby mode thingy. Plainly put, the external touch controls deactivate after about 30 seconds while in use. I had to open the phone to reactivate if I wanted to skip a song or fast forward to the next song and about 30 seconds after closing again, the controls went dormant.

Just adding one more little thing in that the package included a set of hands free earphones. To my surprise they ROCK! Great sound and great volume control.

I didn't get the free 2/1 gig but I will be asking about that from the reseller when I go back to get my free case and car charger. (they were out of stock so wrote on the receipt they owe me)
    Click here for your free memory card:

www.rogers.com/memorypromo

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Wow, excellent review. I had the a706 and found the volume to be quite low while on calls, both myself and the other callers. Treatz, in your review you said the A516 is very loud. How much louder is the A516 compared to the A706? I never thought I would buy another Samsung, but if the A516 is louder than the Moto Razr2 V9, I'll definitely buy one.

Go Leafs Go!!!!!!!

My HOFO Feedbacks

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ht=wirelessgal

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wirelessgal
    Wow, excellent review. I had the a706 and found the volume to be quite low while on calls, both myself and the other callers. Treatz, in your review you said the A516 is very loud. How much louder is the A516 compared to the A706? I never thought I would buy another Samsung, but if the A516 is louder than the Moto Razr2 V9, I'll definitely buy one.
    hmmm,
    I'd have to to a back to back to be sure but based on my memory the A516 would be louder.

now A516 vs V9 tough call... I remember both being loud and commented as such

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    hmmm,
    I'd have to to a back to back to be sure but based on my memory the A516 would be louder.

now A516 vs V9 tough call... I remember both being loud and commented as such

Did you test out the A516 using a BT Headset? I did with the V9 and found it to be low. I use the same BT headset on my k790a and it's loud, so I know it's not my BT Headset.

Device(s)
    Samsung A516
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Macleod
    Click here for your free memory card:

www.rogers.com/memorypromo

Many thanks Dylan. The website said it's scheduled to shipped Jan 15.

Happy New Year!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can someone confirm for me that this phone has A2DP?

Also, does the external display stay on all the time? Does it show track info?

Thanks!
    Phone History:

- Cantel: Motorola Pocket Classic 910, 3W installed, Nokia 2160, 5120
    - Bell: StarTac 3000e, 7868W
    - Telus: Motorola V60c, T731c
    - Rogers: Motorola V300, V551, V635, SMT5600, iPaq hw6515, BB 7290, 8700r, 8100, HTC S620, TyTN, Smartflip, S620, Motorola V3t, Nokia E62, HTC S310, S710, TyTN, HTC P3450, Dopod C730, Motorola Q9h, HTC S630, BB 8300, 8800, 8820, 8100, 7290, 8700, 7100, Treo 750, Smartflip, 9000, SE w350a, 8220, 9500, 8900, Nexus One, BB 9700, Desire Z, BB Torch

Feedback Score
    I was wondering if anyone knew the limit of the SD card compatibility. I have a 2 gig card now and I was wondering if the 8 would be OK too. Couldn't find it anywhere.
    Does anyone know? Please? Need more space
    Thank you

Feedback Score
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to unlock this phone so I can put my mp3 as ringtones, or some other workaround besides unlocking. I've tried sony's drm software, I've tried making my mp3 into 3gp, I've checked out ventones even and it looks too dodgy to try. Can someone suggest something, or at the very least hold my hand through optiflash? This really is bothering me and I can't afford to get a new handset for awhile.

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Unlock???

Interesting question, does anyone have an answer. I would appreciate the info. Hate that a network has the power to lock out your phone. That is illegal in most of europe. I wonder why we still keep it legal here?
    So, if any one knows how to get your own ringtones onto the a516 samsung phone I would appreciate a response. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Canzealander
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to unlock this phone so I can put my mp3 as ringtones, or some other workaround besides unlocking. I've tried sony's drm software, I've tried making my mp3 into 3gp, I've checked out ventones even and it looks too dodgy to try. Can someone suggest something, or at the very least hold my hand through optiflash? This really is bothering me and I can't afford to get a new handset for awhile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast