Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 74

Thread: Is VText.COM a wireless spam gateway? Verizon, TXT Msg SPAM and VTEXT.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    60
    Phone
    LG 8600
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow....this is awesome!

    I guess i'm confused on how it is Verizon's fault if someone could use the portal to spam you..... That makes no sense to me.

    I do agree that recieve vtexts and being charged for them sucks (but if you have an "in" package, you shouldn't get charged, per CSR) but then again so do alot of things.

    Are you being spammed by some dude or is it some premium messaging service?
    Quote Originally Posted by chakos151
    believe me i have been doing this for six hundred years thats right 600 years i am an immortal from highlander dont make fun of my post or ill cut your head off cause im a prince of the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWookiee
    Looks like the enV's half retarded brother to me...
    I guess I'm just gonna wait it out for the long haul and keep my fingers crossed for the Viewty or NYX or KU990 or BallsMcgee or whatever they're gonna call it.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,363
    Phones
    Apple iPhone
    Apple iPhone 4
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jspark

    And "blah blah"... wow. Your post, as well as R3GUL8OR, reflect upon yourselves. Do you guys work for Verizon? Is that it?

    I dont need to reflect upon myself nor did my post reflect the person who I am. If the sh** hits the fan and I am involved, I will do everything I can to work it out, do some research about how to do things and then do it. I didnt bash you in my post (well I did call you a psycho, but that was out of humor) nor did i tell you to look in the mirror, however in light of your overly dilusional apathy I can very well reflect on the typical person you are, but I degress and I wont because once again, this isnt the place nor would it solve a f-ing thing in this case. so its pointless. moving on.

    Should verizon put a authenticator text box on their web site form, yes. From a customer standpoint it makes sense. There would be no harm in doing so and it stops from using an autodialer. However, thats for Verizon to decide if they feel it would help their customers, not their business ethics. No one in here has said you do NOT have the right to be pi55ed off, cause you do. However you're just going off about VZW and not doing anything to try to correct it. You want people on your side? give them a reason to be and entice them with what you have to offer and how it will benefit them. The FCC GAVE YOU a address to complain to and even GAVE YOU ways to decrease or stop spam to your phone. Have you utilized those or are you still just lurking in the shadows of this forum getting ready to pounce once a NON VERIZON employee speaks up against your argument? If you want Verizon to be responsive, complain to the FCC. It is THEIR job to enforce the law, and if no one is saying anything to them, they are not going to know.
    -------------------------
    Woot Woot!
    Air Force
    Colorado Springs, Colorado

    First Sticky: 2/23/07 Samsung Forum

    ^^PREMIUM HOFO SUPPORTER^^
    -------------------------

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibralter
    Wow....this is awesome!

    I guess i'm confused on how it is Verizon's fault if someone could use the portal to spam you..... That makes no sense to me.

    I do agree that recieve vtexts and being charged for them sucks (but if you have an "in" package, you shouldn't get charged, per CSR) but then again so do alot of things.

    Are you being spammed by some dude or is it some premium messaging service?
    Hi,

    I don't know who I'm being spammed by. I got dozens of messages from an unidentified source probably trying to sell viagra.

    I have a motorola KRZR, and for over a month, I've been recieving anonymous spam. I never used the IM on the phone.
    I recieved spam even when the phone was off. -- Ie: after turning it on, it alerted me to several new text messages.

    I don't have an inclusive data plan. I get charged 15 cents for every spam.

    I called CSR and they said to either turn off all messaging or change my phone number. I said I'll think about it before doing something that drastic.

    I went to the Verizon store, and they said that they did something to stop it. But it didn't stop. I emailed Verizon several times, and they said that I either turn off all messaging or change my phone number.

    I checked my bill and found out the source of the spam is: 0000006245.
    What is that?
    I google 0000006245, and VText comes up in the search.

    I go to Vtext, and I can send a spam to my phone, anonymously, registration necessary, for free, no questions asked. I think WTF is this? How can it be so easy to send a spam to a Verizon customer from a Verizon controlled website. It's ridiculous. It's wrong.

    Wow, CSR never mentioned Vtext.

    So I email CSR, and tell them about VText, and only then, NOW, they respond notifiy me that I can block some text messages from that site. Wow. They tell me only after I tell them. Again no refund.

    Terrible -- and probably also for many, many customers who are probably discouraged from pursuing this matter any further. And also this probably translates into millions of dollars of charges for customers who get spams from Verizon's VTEXT, and email gateway.

    On principle, it's just wrong, and exploitative of customers.

    Again, why? Why don't they at least make it a little hard for spammers not to use VText and their email gateway? It's just plain wrong, and completely against the norm when compared to many forums and websites that use measures to prevent spam posts.

    It is trivial to ask for registration on a website. They ask customers to log in, don't they? It's hard to draw any other conclusion or reason other than it helps them profit from spam.

    If any Verizon employees feel offended, my complaint is not personal, nor directed at you. But the exec in charge of these policies or the person who designed the system this way need to re-evaluate these issues.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by R3GUL8OR
    I dont need to reflect upon myself nor did my post reflect the person who I am. If the sh** hits the fan and I am involved, I will do everything I can to work it out, do some research about how to do things and then do it. I didnt bash you in my post (well I did call you a psycho, but that was out of humor) nor did i tell you to look in the mirror, however in light of your overly dilusional apathy I can very well reflect on the typical person you are, but I degress and I wont because once again, this isnt the place nor would it solve a f-ing thing in this case. so its pointless. moving on.

    Should verizon put a authenticator text box on their web site form, yes. From a customer standpoint it makes sense. There would be no harm in doing so and it stops from using an autodialer. However, thats for Verizon to decide if they feel it would help their customers, not their business ethics. No one in here has said you do NOT have the right to be pi55ed off, cause you do. However you're just going off about VZW and not doing anything to try to correct it. You want people on your side? give them a reason to be and entice them with what you have to offer and how it will benefit them. The FCC GAVE YOU a address to complain to and even GAVE YOU ways to decrease or stop spam to your phone. Have you utilized those or are you still just lurking in the shadows of this forum getting ready to pounce once a NON VERIZON employee speaks up against your argument? If you want Verizon to be responsive, complain to the FCC. It is THEIR job to enforce the law, and if no one is saying anything to them, they are not going to know.
    Duh. Yes, you "dilusional" apathetic psycho troll.
    PS. that was used in a humorous way. Move on.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,363
    Phones
    Apple iPhone
    Apple iPhone 4
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jspark

    On principle, it's just wrong, and exploitative of customers.

    Again, why? Why don't they at least make it a little hard for spammers not to use VText and their email gateway? It's just plain wrong, and completely against the norm when compared to many forums and websites that use measures to prevent spam posts.

    It is trivial to ask for registration on a website. They ask customers to log in, don't they? It's hard to draw any other conclusion or reason other than it helps them profit from spam.

    If any Verizon employees feel offended, my complaint is not personal, nor directed at you. But the exec in charge of these policies or the person who designed the system this way need to re-evaluate these issues.

    it always just takes one person to get the ball moving and maybe thats what you need to do. if you feel that passionate about it, then go for it. Bring it to verizon's eyes that they do have a potential problem that will affect their customers. Go thru the FCC and BBB to get them to show verizon too. BBB has no real "power" but nobody likes getting letters from them, so use em anyways. Use any means you have to your disposal to help you get the point across to Verizon.

    Quote Originally Posted by jspark
    Duh. Yes, you "dilusional" apathetic psycho troll.
    PS. that was used in a humorous way. Move on.
    never said i was a perfect speller.
    moved on. its cozy and warm now.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Padre Island
    Posts
    1,324
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jspark
    I see... You don't want to read my complaint. It bothers you, for some weird reason. ie: "Don't complain here. I don't want to read it." (Despite the fact that this is a forum about Verizon discussions!) So you & your ilk, want to stamp out any discussion that is potentially negative about Verizon on a public forum?
    Didn't say that. I said it's not accomplishing anything. If you think vtext.com is such a huge threat to cell phone users everywhere, go complain to the media. Call your paper, call NBC, ABC, hell, call VZW and ask for the "Executive Relations" correspondence address. Any of those options will get far more done then yelling on a forum.

    And "blah blah"... wow. Your post, as well as R3GUL8OR, reflect upon yourselves. Do you guys work for Verizon? Is that it?
    In fact I do. I'm probably one of the most courteous people you'll ever talk to on the phones (well, until you start getting nasty with me first, and even then I won't be outright rude), but here on the forum, I'm simply me. And I like to tell off people. I'm not here's representing VZW in any way, shape or form. Even when I'm answering CS questions.


    BTW, since I changed the settings to block web messages, the spam stopped coming.
    "...It's your fault why don't you prove where it came from"
    Duh. Can Verizon tell me where the spam came from? They won't.

    If they don't know either, then it could have come from their website, or from their email server.

    The only information I got on my bill is that it came from : 0000006245
    VZW is to blamefor this only, because there's nothing (that I've seen) in our documentation that states vtext.com text messages are from "0000006245".


    If it could have come from their server, then they are responsible.
    Amazing! Lets hold building owners responsible when somebody shoots out of a window to kill somebody else.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,363
    Phones
    Apple iPhone
    Apple iPhone 4
    Motorola Droid
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jspark
    Duh. Yes, you "dilusional" apathetic psycho troll.
    PS. that was used in a humorous way. Move on.
    o yeah. i was going to mention this but forgot. You do realize that your phone has its own email address right? 3035551212@vtext.com or 3035551212@vzwpix.com they dont need to enter the site to send you spam. they can use a autodialer program to send out mass emails to you and anyone else just a few numbers off in any direction. The block you put on your phone thru the website (in theory) blocks any and all traffic from any internet domained addressed (non wireless to wireless basically). You did the right thing, dont get me wrong, but just putting it out there that it is not just the site to send you text messages. Outlook 2007 uses a program that links up to MSN services and sends text messages to any phone number with a reply to phone number as: 67######0001 and it goes right back to their email address.

    P.S. I didnt catch it the first read through, but I am going to assume that in regards to your first posts use of the word "predatory", you are referring to VZW "preying" on customers and not business predatory practices. two totally different things in which does not apply to your argument. no biggie just putting out the clarification.

    Quote Originally Posted by raduque
    Amazing! Lets hold building owners responsible when somebody shoots out of a window to kill somebody else.
    lol well you know someone has or will. This is America. Land of Ill-sue-you-for-anything-to-get-money-and-make-a-mochary-of-our-legal-system. Just like last month when a guy put regular unleaded in his diesel truck (keep in mind, diesel and unleaded come thru 2 different pumps, so its not a question of oops, wrong button) and tried to sue the gas station saying it was their fault his engine seized b/c of it. dumb, yes. improbable situation of suing, no.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    a previous generation
    Posts
    8,923
    Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by raduque




    Amazing! Lets hold building owners responsible when somebody shoots out of a window to kill somebody else.
    next thing you are going to say coffee is hot and can burn if spilled on yourself while drinking it , driving down the road, hitting a bump is another way to sue. thats right Mcdonalds lost that one
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,946
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid, LG VX 8550
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Huh? McDonald's lost no case like that. They did lose a case where they served someone coffee much hotter (190F vs 155F) than it's normally served. At this temperature, it will cause third degree burns in 2-5 seconds. At 155F, it takes over 60 seconds of exposure.

    The victim was a passenger in a parked car and spilled it on herself while removing the lid from the cup (to add cream/sugar). She spent eight days in the hospital and required skin grafts. She asked only for costs and was refused so she sued. The jury found her 20% at fault and McDonald's 80%.

    The final ruling was for $480,000, although they reached a settlement that wasn't disclosed.

    She wasn't driving, and she didn't just get a scald, although you hear these lies repeated often. You also hear the curious idea that it's perfectly reasonable for a fast food drink in a foam cup to put you in the hospital for a week, or that 155F "hot" is exactly the same as "190F" hot.

    Sorry for the off-topic rant, but the "we should let corporations burn people" crowd, uh, burns me. These sort of distortions are just a way to get responsible parties off the hook when they hurt someone. Most of the facts of the "outrageous lawsuits" aren't as outrageous when you hear what they're actually about.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    201
    Phones
    Casio (New) Boulder
    Lg Env2 (wife)
    Samsung u410 (Spare), Samsung I700 (Spare)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Jspark,

    I appreciate your thread. I just switched numbers due to relocation and we have gotten some unsolicited calls/texts, etc. I am happy to know of any possible sources so I can address them.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,267
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by m7feettall
    Jspark,

    I appreciate your thread. I just switched numbers due to relocation and we have gotten some unsolicited calls/texts, etc. I am happy to know of any possible sources so I can address them.
    By the way, various information and in particular preferences related to text messaging (among other things) are accessible through VZW's web site, inluding My Account.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Padre Island
    Posts
    1,324
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alanh
    These sort of distortions are just a way to get responsible parties off the hook when they hurt someone.
    McDonalds didn't hurt her, she hurt herself.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3008
    Posts
    5,234
    Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Seems to me that the moral of this thread is that we should sue Microsoft for inventing the email system that spammers are using to create these charges. Then we'll go after the FCC for providing the airwaves, the phone manufacturers for displaying it on the phone, the battery manufacturers for providing the power, the person that wrote the ringtone that alerted you that you received the message, etc....

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Posts
    2,037
    Phone
    Too many
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jspark
    ...The only information I got on my bill is that it came from : 0000006245

    If it could have come from their server, then they are responsible.
    I am still wondering after all this ranting, what exactly did you get. One of your posts said something about probably trying to sell viagra - lol you don't know?

    That number is a short-code for "MAIL". Look on your keypad you will see the numbers match it. What that means is most likely someone sent you this "spam" via email (although the website would show the same way, it's just easier for someone to do it via mail). As far as I'm aware, the email to SMS gateway is done from a 3rd party and not the wireless carrier... someone correct me on that. Yes Verizon might fair better by having some authentication system in place on that site, but you will never see that come by ranting here. Write Verizon/FCC etc like others stated above. But make sure to do it calmly and clearly. Don't just tell them about the problem, but show they an easy workable solution they can implement.

    Take a look at this link, it shows that most wireless providers (not just US either) have this same email to SMS gateway feature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateways
    I got down to "P" and only found 2 that have you "authenticate" with the images, and 2 others that are only available to customers by logging in. All the rest I checked are just like vtext - simply send.

    And like others said, you can do the same via MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, and AIM. All you need to know is the phone number.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    a previous generation
    Posts
    8,923
    Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0
    Seems to me that the moral of this thread is that we should sue Microsoft for inventing the email system that spammers are using to create these charges. Then we'll go after the FCC for providing the airwaves, the phone manufacturers for displaying it on the phone, the battery manufacturers for providing the power, the person that wrote the ringtone that alerted you that you received the message, etc....
    you always have a way of getting to the heart of a matter and being so brutally accurate in your responses

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks