Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long to port a number from Virgin Moblie?

Feedback Score

How long to port a number from Virgin Moblie?

I am interested in porting my number from Virgin Mobile (It was actually a TracFone number ported to Virgin Mobile) to Page Plus to use on a Verizon Motorola E815 that I bought. I have heard that porting takes from hours to days depending on who they are porting from. Has anyone ported from Virgin Mobile to PagePlus? How long should it take? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    i dont think you can port your old virgin mobile number to pp , only verizon numbers. I may be way off though, and am looking foward to a clear answer on this

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Phone
    Motorolla E815
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, all ports are said to take a few hours, but i've never had one go well. I am currently porting my mom's T-mobile to go number to Page Plus and it might not be ready untill tuesday because T-mobile has Page plus listed as like T-Page-plus in their database, and that needs to be changed.

in Summary, yes it can probably be done, but be prepared for it to take a while and alot of phone calls.

Phones
    Samsung U340
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX7000
    Carriers
    PPC All The Way Baby!!
    Feedback Score
    I ported from Virgin to PPC and it was completed in a matter of hours... The key is to make certain that you have all of the correct information (account #, vkey) before you call... this way you don't have to wait forever for the carriers to communicate with one another with regard to modifications in the request.
    Is This Thing On??

Feedback Score
    i still dont get it , how would you port a virgin mobile number to new phone when that phone has to be programed initially? I get how you set up a inpulse account on the new phone because that activates your new phone then you port. But how do you port on a totally new phone without going through verizon first?

So i need this question answered really bad, i have a new motorola and is activated to page plus , can i some how port my old virgin number to the account and drop the existing pp account?

Phones
    Samsung U340
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX7000
    Carriers
    PPC All The Way Baby!!
    Feedback Score
    Simpy put - yes... you call PPC and tell them that you'd like to port from Virgin - they tell you that they can help you with the number, but that you will have to purchase a compatible handset... you say "no problem - I already have one"... they ask you for the ESN from it and "dummy" it out so that they can submit it in the port... when the port comes through they put your real ESN on the ported number(effectively dropping the existing PPC account) and you are all set!

Feedback Score
    Please further explain the ESN thing - "dummy" it out - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentOne
    Simpy put - yes... you call PPC and tell them that you'd like to port from Virgin - they tell you that they can help you with the number, but that you will have to purchase a compatible handset... you say "no problem - I already have one"... they ask you for the ESN from it and "dummy" it out so that they can submit it in the port... when the port comes through they put your real ESN on the ported number(effectively dropping the existing PPC account) and you are all set!

Phones
    Samsung U340
    Palm Treo 700p
    LG VX7000
    Carriers
    PPC All The Way Baby!!
    Feedback Score
    They create a "substitute" ESN that they submit in order to facilitate the port request without interrupting service on the PPC phone while you are waiting...

Feedback Score
    Here's the answer. I bought a Motorola E815 from Ebay and activated it through Ugly Eric, receiving the 140 minutes, so that I could try out the PagePlus service. Since I was satisfied with PagePlus, I decided to port my Virgin Mobile number to PagePlus on the E815. I called PagePlus customer service, asked for the porting department, and explained what I wanted to do. I gave them the ESN for my E815, my Virgin Mobile number and Vkey, and that was it. The CSR asked me to call back in about 3 hours to check on the status of the port. I did so, and he completed the task in a couple of minutes. I programed my phone with *22890, and I was in business with my former VM number now on my P+ phone. I did not get any bonus minutes (I didn't expect to anyway), but my expiration data was moved to 120 days from the day I ported. When I called, I got through to customer service quickly both times - very little hold time.

P.S. I asked the CSR when the data services would be available. He said 1st quarter of 2008.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I called PagePlus yesterday to port a phone from STI Mobile (a prepaid Sprint reseller like Virgin Mobile). The CSR said it could take up to 48 hours since STI was a reseller; carriers themselves should take 4 hours but reseller could take up to 48. When I asked how to tell if the port was successfully completed, he said to simply keep checking my STI phone; if it stops working the port has gone through.

Right now it's about 34 hours and it hasn't ported yet. I'll give PP a call again tomorrow to check.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrycl
    FWIW, I called PagePlus yesterday to port a phone from STI Mobile (a prepaid Sprint reseller like Virgin Mobile). The CSR said it could take up to 48 hours since STI was a reseller; carriers themselves should take 4 hours but reseller could take up to 48. When I asked how to tell if the port was successfully completed, he said to simply keep checking my STI phone; if it stops working the port has gone through.

Right now it's about 34 hours and it hasn't ported yet. I'll give PP a call again tomorrow to check.
    Good luck. STI is infamous for not responding to port requests. There are numerous threads that all involved drama when porting out to T-Mobile, Page Plus, and Amp'd, to name a few.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You were right - STI stalled. I called today (after the 48 hours was up.) Talked to a super nice guy in the porting department. He said STI did not respond to their inquiry, so he said he'd call them right now if I wanted to hold. After about 10 minutes he came back, and said they were asking for more info (which I gave him). After another 10 minutes, he came back and said he was still on hold with them.

Finally after another 10 minutes, he came back and said the port would go through on Monday. I apologized for putting him through this(!); we chatted a bit and he said STI mobile was often difficult about ports (no surprise to hofo readers!).

After an hour I tried *22890 on my new phone and to my surprise it went through! So now I'm ported and on PP and very happy!

Now, this may be a rhetorical question, but what does STI think they are going to gain by being difficult to port out of? Do they think they are going to annoy me into staying with them? Don't they realize that by giving me a bad service as I'm leaving, I'd never consider them again? Why burn bridges?

Feedback Score
    I ported to PP from ATT with no problem.
    So far I'm happy with the service.
    My question is
    Has anyone ported away from PP and how would you do it?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    My port from VM to PPC went very "smooth"ly. i bought a samsung sch-u350 from target (do not activate it on verizon!). Called page plus gave them all the info and they said call back in 3 hours. Now - when you call you mobile number and you hear funny beeps instead of ringing, the port should be complete. After about an 1.5 hours i tried this and got the beeps so i didn't even call Page Plus back I just dialed *22890 for OTA programming. You MUST make 1 outgoing call to complete the setup. After that everything worked.

NOTE - This was back when ports were free and you got 100 min. I don't know if these are still offered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast